|Developer(s)||Ben Vanik; Justin Moore (DrChat); Rick (gibbed)|
1.0.629 / 24 February 2017
|Written in||C++, C, Assembly, Python|
|Operating system||Windows 8.1 or later|
|Platform||x86-64 with AVX|
|Size||10 MB (Source)|
|Type||Video game console emulator|
|License||New BSD License|
Xenia is a free and open-source emulator for Microsoft Windows that allows Xbox 360 console games to be played on a personal computer. As of August 2016, the emulator is capable of playing approximately fifty Xbox 360 titles at full speed.
In March 2014, Ben Vanik, the author of the emulator, released a proof of concept video showing that the emulator is capable of playing Frogger 2, a 2008 Xbox Live Arcade title. This marked the emulator's first playable commercial title. Development of the emulator was moving at a slow pace, as the March 2014 video of Frogger 2 was the result of four years of development work. The video showed the game being emulated at a low framerate, attributed by the author to the program using a debug interpreter for emulation, expecting the speed to increase to a more playable level as development progressed. A new video released in March 2015 showed the Xbox 360 title A-Train HX (which features rendered 3D graphics) running at full speed only a year after the Frogger video. In addition to speed increases, Vanik expects the emulator to support playing other titles in the future. The author stated that the goal of the Xenia project is to disseminate research information on modern device and operating system emulation.
A set of minimum requirements must be met for the emulator to run. As of February 24th 2017, users are required to be running a 64-bit version of Windows 8.1 or later. A Vulkan compatible GPU and 64-bit processor supporting AVX or AVX2 are required.
- RPCS3, the first PlayStation 3 emulator
- "Xenia Xbox 360 Emulator: A-Train HX WIP".
- "Compatibility List". Xenia. Official web-site.
- Good, Owen S. (Mar 29, 2014). "Video shows Xbox 360 emulation working on a PC". Polygon. Retrieved Mar 29, 2014.
- Dorino, Davide "Alexander" (Mar 27, 2014). "A video shows the Xbox 360 emulator in action with Xenia Frogger 2". SpazioGames.it (in Italian). Retrieved Mar 29, 2014.
- "About". Xenia. Official web-site.