Xiaodong Wang (biochemist)
Xiaodong Wang (simplified Chinese: 王晓东; traditional Chinese: 王曉東; pinyin: Wāng Xiǎodōng, born 1963) is a Chinese-American biochemist best known for his work with cytochrome c. His laboratory developed an in-vitro assay for the activation of the apoptosis related proteinase Caspase-3. This allowed the biochemical purification of a complex of Cytochrome c, Caspase-9 and the Apoptotic Protease Activating factor-1 (APAF1). These components are essential for forming a ternary complex called the apoptosome that activates Caspase-3 downstream of the intracellular or mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis.
Wang is a member of United States National Academy of Sciences and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Currently he is a professor at National Institute of Biological Sciences, Beijing.
Honors & awards
- 2007, Richard Lounsbery Award, from the National Academy of Sciences, USA
- 2006, Shaw Prize, from the Shaw Foundation
- 2004, NAS Award in Molecular Biology
- 2003, Hackerman Award, from the Welch Foundation
- 2001, Paul Marks Prize, from the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- 2000, Eli Lilly Award in Biological Chemistry, from American Chemical Society
- Zagorski, N. (2006). "Profile of Xiaodong Wang (biochemist)". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 103 (1): 7–9. doi:10.1073/pnas.0509187103. PMC 1324996. PMID 16380419.
- Zou, H.; Henzel, W. J.; Liu, X.; Lutschg, A.; Wang, X. (1997-08-08). "Apaf-1, a human protein homologous to C. elegans CED-4, participates in cytochrome c-dependent activation of caspase-3". Cell. 90 (3): 405–413. doi:10.1016/s0092-8674(00)80501-2. ISSN 0092-8674. PMID 9267021.
- "Announcement and Citation - Life Science and Medicine - 2006". The Shaw Prize. 2006-06-21. Retrieved 2016-04-16.
- "Xiaodong Wang". National Institute of Biological Sciences, Beijing. Retrieved 2016-04-15.
|This article about an American biochemist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Chinese biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|