Xiaoliang Sunney Xie
|Xiaoliang Sunney Xie|
June 24, 1962 |
|Education||BSc in Chemistry from Peking University
PhD in Physical Chemistry from UC San Diego
|Known for||Single Molecule Enzymology,
Coherent Raman Imaging,
Single Cell Genomics
|Notable awards||Albany Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research 2015,
Peter Debye Award in Physical Chemistry 2015,
Ellis R. Lippincott Award 2013,
Biophysical Society Founders Award 2012
Prof. Xiaoliang Sunney Xie (Chinese: 谢晓亮; born 1962 in Beijing, China) is a world renown biophysical chemist. He received his BSc in chemistry from Peking University in 1984, and his PhD in physical chemistry in 1990 from University of California at San Diego. After a career at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, he became the first tenured professor at Harvard University among Chinese Scholars who came to the USA since the Reform in China. As a pioneer of single-molecule biophysical chemistry, coherent Raman scattering microscopy, and single cell genomics, he made major contributions to the emergence of these fields. Furthermore, Xie has made significant advances on medical applications of label-free optical imaging and single cell genomics. In particular, his inventions have been used in in vitro fertilization and have benefited hundreds of couples in China in avoiding the transmission of their monogenic diseases to their newborns. In addition, Prof. Xie has trained more than 100 graduate students and postdocs, many of whom have become professors at more than 40 major universities around the world. Since 2010, he has been the director of Biodynamics Optical Imaging Center (BIOPIC) at Peking University, and in 2016 he became the director of Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Genomics (ICG). Prof. Xie is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and the US National Academy of Medicine. Among his numerous honors are the Albany Medical Center Prize in Medicine and Biomedical Research, the American Chemical Society's Peter Debye Award and the Biophysical Society Founders' Award.
As of April 2017, Prof. Xie has published over 210 papers.
Prof. Xie’s current research interests include scientific research, technological research, and medical research.
- Scientific: Single molecule enzymology, Single molecule biophysical chemistry, Gene expression and regulation, Epigenetics, Mechanism of cell differentiation and reprogramming, Genomic instability;
- Technological: Single molecule imaging, Single cell genomics, Coherent Raman scattering microscopy, DNA sequencing;
- Medical: Preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis in in vitro fertilization, Early cancer diagnosis
Honors and awards
- 2016: Member of the National Academy of Medicine
- 2015: Albany Medical Center Prize
- 2015: Peter Debye Award in Physical Chemistry, American Chemical Society
- 2014: Fellow of the Optical Society of America
- 2013: NIH Director's Pioneer Award
- 2013: Ellis R. Lippincott Award, Optical Society of America and Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- 2012: Harrison Howe Award, Rochester Section of the American Chemical Society
- 2012: Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology
- 2012: Biophysical Society Founders Award
- 2011: Member of the National Academy of Sciences
- 2009: Ernest Orlando Lawrence Award
- 2008: Fellow of the American Physical Society
- 2008: Berthold Leibinger Zukunftspreis for Applied Laser Technology
- 2008: Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2007: Willis E. Lamb Award for Laser Sciences and Quantum Optics
- 2006: Fellow of Biophysical Society
- 2006: Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2004: NIH Director's Pioneer Award
- 2003: Raymond and Beverly Sackler Prize in the Physical Sciences
- 1996: Coblentz Award
Single Cell Genomics
- Zhou, Yuexin; Wang, Ping ; Tian, Feng; Gao, Ge; Huang, Lei; Wei, Wensheng; Xie, X. Sunney "Painting a specific chromosome with CRISPR/Cas9 for live-cell imaging," Cell Res doi:10.1038/cr.2017.9 (2017).
- Chen, Chongyi; Xing, Dong; Tan, Longzhi; Li, Heng; Zhou, Guangyu; Huang, Lei; Xie, X. Sunney "Single-cell whole-genome analyses by Linear Amplification via Transposon Insertion (LIANTI)," Science 356, 189-194. (2017)
- Yan, Liying; Huang, Lei; Xu, Liya; Huang, Jin; Ma, Fei; Zhu, Xiaohui; Tang, Yaqiong; Liu, Mingshan; Lian, Ying; Liu, Ping; Li, Rong; Lu, Sijia; Tang, Fuchou; Qiao, Jie; Xie, X Sunney "Live births after simultaneous avoidance of monogenic diseases and chromosome abnormality by next-generation sequencing with linkage analyses," Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 112(52), 15964-15969 (2015).
- Chong, Shasha; Chen, Chongyi; Ge, Hao; Xie X. Sunney, “Mechanism of Transcriptional Bursting in Bacteria,” Cell 158, 314-326 (2014).
- Hou, Yu; Fan, Wei; Yan, Liying; Li, Rong; Lian, Ying; Huang, Jin; Li, Jinsen; Xu, Liya; Tang, Fuchou; Xie, X. Sunney; Qiao, Jie. "Genome Analyses of Single Human Oocytes," Cell 155, 1492-1506 (2013)
- Kim, Sangjin; Broströmer, Erik, Xing, Dong; Jin, Jianshi; Chong, Shasha; Ge, Hao, Wang, Siyuan; Gu, Chan; Yang, Lijiang; Gao, Yiqin; Su, Xiao-dong; Sun, Yujie; Xie, X. Sunney, “Probing Allostery Through DNA,” Science, 339: 816-819 (2013).
- Zong, Chenghang; Lu, Sijia; Chapman, Alec R.; Xie, X. Sunney."Genome-Wide Detection of Single-Nucleotide and Copy-Number Variations of a Single Human Cell" Science 338, 1622-1626 (2012).
- Taniguchi, Yuichi; Choi, Paul J.; Li, Gene-Wei; Chen, Huiyi; Babu, Mohan; Hearn, Jeremy; Emili, Andrew; Xie, X. Sunney, "Quantifying E. coli Proteome and Transcriptome with Single-Molecule Sensitivity in Single Cells," Science 329: 533-538 (2010).
- Freudiger, Christian W.; Min, Wei; Saar, Brian G.; Lu, Sijia; Holtom, Gary R.; He, Chengwei; Tsai, Jason C.; Kang, Jing X.; Xie, X. Sunney. "Label-Free Biomedical Imaging with High sensitivity by Stimulated Raman Scattering Microscopy," Science 322, 1857-1860 (2008).
- Yu, Ji; Xiao, Jie; Ren, Xiaojia; Lao, Kaiqin; Xie, X. Sunney. "Probing Gene Expression in Live Cells, One Protein Molecule at a Time," Science 311, 1600-1603 (2006).
- English, Brian P.; Min, Wei; van Oijen, Antoine M.; Lee, Kang Taek; Luo, Guobin; Sun, Hongye; Cherayil, Binny J.; Kou, S.C.; Xie, X. Sunney "Ever-Fluctuating Single Enzyme Molecules: Michaelis-Menten Equation Revisited" Nat Chem Bio 2: 87-94 (2006).
- Zumbusch, Andreas; Holtom, Gary R.; Xie, X. Sunney. "Vibrational Microscopy Using Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering," Phys Rev Lett 82, 4142-4145 (1999).
- Lu, H. Peter; Xun, Luying; Xie, X. Sunney, "Single-Molecule Enzymatic Dynamics," Science 282: 1877-1882 (1998).
- National Academy of Medicine Elects 79 New Members
- Albany Medical Center Prize
- Peter Debye Award
- NIH Director's Pioneer Award 2013
- Ellis R. Lippincott Award
- Berthold Leibinger Zukunftspreis
- Biography of Xie from the Website of the Willis E. Lamb Award (displayed June 4, 2008)
- NIH Director's Pioneer Award 2004