Xiaomi Mi 9
|First released||March 2019 (Mi 9) |
(Mi 9 Explorer)
|Predecessor||Xiaomi Mi 8|
173 g (6.1 oz)
|Operating system||MIUI 10 based on Android 9 Pie|
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 855|
|CPU||Octa-core Kryo 485 (1x 2.84 GHz + 3x 2.42 GHz + 4x 1.8 GHz)|
|Memory||6 GB or 8 GB LPDDR4X RAM |
8 GB or 12 GB LPDDR4X RAM (Mi 9 Explorer)
|Storage||64 GB or 128 GB |
256 GB (Mi 9 Explorer)
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Po 3300 mAh battery|
|Display||6.39 inches, 1080 x 2340 pixels, (403 ppi), SUPER AMOLED touchscreen, 16M colors |
|Rear camera||Triple: 48 MP Wide (f/1.5 (Mi 9 Explorer 12 GB RAM) or f/1.8, 27mm, 1/2", 0.8µm) + 16 MP Ultrawide (f/2.2, 13mm, 1/3", 1.0µm) + 12 MP Telephoto (f/2.2, 54mm, 1/3.6" 1.0µm), 2x optical zoom, laser/phase detection autofocus, dual-LED flash|
|Front camera||20 MP (f/2.0, 0.9µm), 1080p|
|Connectivity||2G, 3G, 4G, 4G LTE, Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 & 5GHz), dual-band, WiFi Direct, DLNA, hotspot Bluetooth V5, A2DP, Low-energy, aptX HD|
The Xiaomi Mi 9 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, with 6 GB or 8 GB LPDDR4X RAM and the Adreno 640 GPU. It has a 6.39-inch (162 mm) FHD+ AMOLED display. Storage options include 64 GB or 128 GB. The handset features a fingerprint scanner under the display. It features a 3300 mAh battery with a USB-C reversible connector which supports Quick Charge 4.0+. Externally, it has a smaller notch and new gradient colors, with Gorilla Glass 6 on the front, Gorilla Glass 5 on the rear and a 7000 series aluminum frame. It does not feature a 3.5mm headphone jack and comes with a USB-C to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter provided in the box. The Mi 9 includes a triple camera setup with a 48 MP wide angle lens, a 16 MP ultra-wide angle lens and a 12 MP telephoto lens. The front camera has a 20 MP sensor with an aperture of f/2.0. The Explorer variant has larger storage and RAM options, a transparent back, a 7P camera lens, and an f/1.5 (wider) aperture for the main lens on models with 12 GB of RAM.
Digital Trends praised the Mi 9's performance, screen, design and in-display fingerprint sensor but remarked that the camera could be better and that the software needed improvement. Trusted Reviews had similar opinions, and was less impressed with the in-display fingerprint sensor and more positive of the camera, concluding that the Mi 9 had "the makings of one of the most worthwhile flagship smartphone purchases of the year". Digital Trends wrote that the Mi 9 was "a compelling, high performance smartphone that's sure to become one of the year's best" and "one of 2019's shrewdest smartphone purchases".
The Xiaomi Mi 9 faces a handful of minor issues, however it faces major issues that are restrained to certain regions, such as the lack of face unlock in some certain western regions, Although it was fixed with a software update.
The frequent display of advertisements in MIUI is no different in the Mi 9, Xiaomi defended themselves by saying that these ads help them keep their prices low.
- Seifert, Dan (20 February 2019). "Xiaomi's Mi 9 has three rear cameras and a familiar design". The Verge. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Xiaomi Mi 9 Review". gsmArena. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- "Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G, Mi 9 Explorer, and Mi 9 SE hands-on review". gsmArena. 24 February 2019. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Boxall, Andy (March 25, 2019). "Want to see how powerful the Snapdragon 855 chip is? Just rev up the Xiaomi Mi 9". Digital Trends. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Walker-Todd, Alex (March 28, 2019). "Xiaomi Mi 9 Review". Trusted Reviews. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Rehm, Lars (20 February 2019). "Xiaomi Mi 9 camera review - DxOMark". DxOMark. Retrieved 3 April 2019.
- Forum, Xiaomi MIUI Official. "mi9 face unlock - Mi 9 - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum". en.miui.com. Retrieved 2019-08-22.
- "Xiaomi Mi 9 - The Bad Review". Android Headlines. 2019-04-08. Retrieved 2019-08-22.