Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for products and services. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4(MTK) Front
|Slogan||Power has a new look|
|Predecessor||Redmi Note 3|
|Successor||Redmi Note 5|
|Mass||165 g (5.8 oz)|
|Operating system||Redmi Note 4: MIUI 10.1 based on Android 6.0|
Redmi Note 4(SD)/4X: MIUI 10.2.3.0 based on Android 7.0
|CPU||Mediatek Helio X20 Deca core(TSMC 20nm HKMG) Max. 2.1GHz(2x 2.1 GHz Cortex A72 + 4x 1.85 GHz Cortex A53 + 4x 1.4 GHz Cortex A53) MT6796|
Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 Octa core(14nm Samsung LPP FinFET) Max. 2.0 GHz (8x 2.0 GHz Cortex-A53) MSM8953
|GPU||Redmi Note 4: Mali-T880 MP4(28nm process) 780MHz|
Redmi Note 4(SD)/4X: Adreno 506(14nm process) 650MHz
|Memory||16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB emmc 5.1|
2 GB, 3 GB or 4 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel 933MHz
|Removable storage||microSD, up to 128 GB (uses SIM 2 slot)|
|Battery||Non-removable Li-Po 4100 mAh battery|
|Display||5.5 in (140 mm) IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen|
1080 x 1920 pixels, ~401 ppi, 16M colors with 2.5D scratch resistant curved glass. Vendors: BOE, Tianma, EBBG(Late 2017 units onwards)
|Rear camera||13 MP, Sony Exmor RS IMX258|
Samsung ISOCELL S5K3L8
Omnivision Purecel OV18355
All sensors have: f/2.0, 0.1s ultra fast phase detection autofocus(PDAF), 1.12μm pixel size, CMOS BSI with dual-LED (dual tone) flash, 5-piece lens, 4K/4K UHD, 120fps slo-mo support.
|Front camera||5 MP Samsung ISOCELL S5K5E8 f/2.0, 1080p, face recognition support|
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is the fourth smartphone of Redmi Note series developed by Xiaomi Inc. It is a part of Xiaomi's budget Redmi smartphone line. It has two variants: The older version sold as Redmi Note 4 is powered by a Deca-core Mediatek MT6797 Helio X20 SOC. The upgraded version, sold both as Redmi Note 4X and Redmi Note 4 (where MTK version was not released) is powered by an Octa-core MSM8953 Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 SOC. The Redmi Note 4 was succeeded by Redmi Note 5.
In January 2017, the Snapdragon version of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4X became the company's first major launch. It came with 2GB RAM + 32GB EMMC memory, 3GB RAM + 16 or 32GB EMMC and 4GB RAM + 64GB EMMC. The phone sports a 5.5-inch Full HD IPS display – the 1080 x 1920 resolution translating to a pixel density of 401ppi. The display also promises to have contrast ratio of 1000:1 and 72% coverage of NTSC colour gamut.
On February the 14th 2017, alongside the Chinese release of the Redmi Note 4X, Xiaomi released a limited edition set of the phone featuring Hatsune Miku. The set contained a customized box, the phone, a power bank and protective case.
The company announced that as many as 9,624,110 units of Redmi Note 4 were sold in India in 2017 and that it was one of their best selling smartphones in the last quarter of 2017.
The device sold over 10 Million units in India alone.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 - codename nikel is equipped with MediaTek MT6796 Helio X20 CPU and Mali-T880 MP4 GPU. It runs MIUI 8, (updated to MIUI 9.6) based on Android 6.0 . The Global 4X variant - codename mido variants have the Octa-core 2.0 GHz Snapdragon 625 CPU and Adreno 506 GPU. It runs MIUI 8, (updated to MIUI 10.1) based on Android 6.0 later updated to Android 7.0. All variants include a 5.5 in (140 mm) 1080p display, 2 GB, 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM, 16 GB, 32 GB or 64 GB eMMC 5.1 Flash, a 5MP front camera, non-removable Li-Po 4100 mAh battery and it supports 802.11a/b/g/n networks on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. Phones also support two SIM cards or a SIM card + microSDHC card because one SIM card and the microSDHC card share the same physical tray slot.
Another notable feature of the phone is the presence of a fingerprint sensor at the back which can also be used for capturing images via the front or the rear cameras.
The Redmi Note 4 has screws beside the microUSB port which allows easy access to internal components. The Redmi Note 4X does not have these set of screws.
Also, Redmi Note 4(MTK) have a full metal body whereas Global and Snapdragon variant of the phone have anodized aluminum body with plastic inserts at top and bottom for better signal reception. The global variant also misses diamond cut finish found on Mediatek variant of the phone.
It runs MIUI 8 based on Android 6.0, which was updated to MIUI 10 based on Android 7.0 for Snapdragon devices. The Mediatek edition however, runs on MIUI 10 based on Android 6.0. Purchasing a Redmi Note 4 Snapdragon variant now will be running MIUI 8 based on Android 6.0.1 instead of Android 6.0.
|Name||Codename||Display||Resolution||Release date||SoC||RAM||User memory||LTE||Camera||Front camera||Battery||Operating system||MIUI distributions|
|Redmi Note 4 ||nikel||IPS 5.5"||HD 1080p||June 2016||Mediatek
10x 2.1 GHz
|3 GB||32 GB||Yes||13 MP||5 MP||4100 mAh
(typical)/4000 mAh (minimal)
MIUI 8 when released
|China, Global and Xiaomi.eu|
|4 GB||64 GB
(also known as RN4X)
|Redmi Note 4X 
Redmi Note 4
8x 2 GHz
|2 or 3 GB||16 GB||MIUI 10
MIUI 8 based on Android 6.0.1 when released
|China, Global and Xiaomi.eu|
|4 GB||64 GB||Global and Xiaomi.eu|
The smartphone received mostly positive feedback upon its launch because of its better battery life, great price-to-performance ratio and great day to day performance.
GSMArena states: "The Redmi Note 4(X)'s Snapdragon 625, which we consider to be the ultimate mid-range chipset for this generation, provides excellent performance with great power efficiency and thermal properties. The battery life of this phone is jaw-dropping, the MIUI experience is smooth, and the camera does well in all occasions. All these goodies come in a sturdy metal body, which adds to the already great value of the Redmi Note 4(X)." Also, in GSMArena's device review, the Snapdragon edition of the phone scored much better getting 1500:1 Contrast ratio, 484nits of maximum luminance and excellent colour accuracy for the class. 
According to AndroidAuthority: "The Redmi Note 4(X) is not perfect, but it is a well-rounded package that one wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a budget or mid-range smartphone. Packed in a neat chassis, the smartphone performs great and is a compelling value-for-money smartphone." 
Gadgets360 also rated the phone 8 on 10, appreciating the device for its battery efficiency, good performance for the class and good thermal efficiency.
AndroidCentral also considered Redmi Note 4(SD variant) to be one of the best smartphones one can buy in mid-budget range even after 6 months of launch.
TechRadar called Redmi Note 4 to be an overall impressive device overall, though lacking the X factor, getting 4/5 ratings.
Though perceived initially as a theoretical downgrade by media, XDA Developers also considered the device an upgrade to Redmi Note 3, citing its overall sustained performance, on par day to day performance and better battery and thermal performance by a good margin.
- "Xiaomi Redmi 4 Review- The Best Budget Smartphone!". The AndroidPoint. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4". GSMArena. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Review". ndtv. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4". GSMArena. Retrieved 23 May 2017.
- "Xiaomi to launch Redmi Note 5 Pro as Redmi Note 5 in China". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Xioami Redmi Note5processor". xiaomidevice. Retrieved 19 May 2017.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 review". 2017-02-17.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Price and Features - Mi India". www.mi.com. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- ""价格屠夫"名不虚传！红米NOTE4X：单机销量突破2000万". share.iclient.ifeng.com. Retrieved 2017-12-01.
- "Xiaomi sold more than 9.6 million Redmi note 4 last year". Times Now,edited by Suraj Sarkar 1805. Retrieved 2018-02-14.
- Jain, Manu Kumar (2018-11-20). "#RedmiNote4: 10M phones sold in one year! #MIUI10 stable ROM is now available for Redmi Note 4. Check out: https://in.c.mi.com/thread-1663267-1-0.html … Excited that tomorrow we are launching #RedmiNote6Pro, the 1st phone from Xiaomi with Quad (4) Cameras . #Xiaomi #RedmiNoteLegacypic.twitter.com/96fDSyFI96". @manukumarjain. Retrieved 2019-02-07. External link in
- "The Snapdragon Edition Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 hands-on". GSMArena.com. p. 1. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "红米Note 4 参数 - 小米商城". www.mi.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "红米Note 4X - 小米商城". www.mi.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "Redmi Note 4 - Mi Singapore". www.mi.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 (S625) review: Take Note!". GSMArena.com. Retrieved 2017-09-12.
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 review, by Abhishek Baxi, February 17, 2017, androidauthority.com
- Pratap, Ketan. "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Review". NDTV Gadgets 360. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 review: Six months later". Android Central. 2017-07-25. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Redmi Note 4 Review".
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 XDA Review: All Geared Up for Another Year of Success". xda-developers. 2017-03-18. Retrieved 2019-02-07.
- "Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 XDA Performance and Battery Life Review (Compared to Redmi Note 3)". xda-developers. 2017-02-19. Retrieved 2019-02-07.