|Nickname(s): County of Generals|
|• Total||3,214.46 km2 (1,241.11 sq mi)|
|• Length||84 km (52 mi)|
|• Width||71.5 km (44.4 mi)|
|• Density||220/km2 (580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Xingguo County (Chinese: 兴国县) is a county, under the jurisdiction of Ganzhou, in Jiangxi province, People's Republic of China. It locates in the north of Ganzhou, with a total area of 3214.46 square kilometers. Its population was 719,830 at the 2010 census.
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Geography
- 4 Demographics
- 5 Places of interests
- 6 Transportation
- 7 Culture
- 8 Notable people
- 9 Cuisine and specialities
- 10 External links
- 11 References
In 236 during the Three Kingdoms period Pingyang County was set up in the current area of Xingguo County. In 982 during the Northern Song period the county of Xingguo was set up, named after the Taipingxingguo era (AD 976 – 984) of the emperor of that time.
Xingguo has jurisdiction over 7 towns, 18 townships and 1 economic development zone. The seat of the county locates at the Lianjiang Town.
Xingguo County locates in the central south of Jiangxi Province, and in the north of Ganzhou prefectural level city. The distance to the center of Ganzhou is about 82 kilometers, and the distance to the provincial capital Nanchang is about 346 kilometers.
The length from east to west is 84 kilometers and the width from north to south is 71.5 kilometers. Xingguo is mostly covered by hills and mountains: mountains over 1000 meters on the east, north and west edges, while hilly areas in the center and south parts, with a small basin around the county seat Lianjiang Town. The highest point is the Mount Dawushan at Fengbian Township in the north with elevation of 1204 meters, while the lowest point locates at Mubu Village, Longkou Township in the south with elevation of 127.9 meters.
There are several reservoirs in Xingguo, the largest one being Changgang Reservoir at Changgang Township.
According to the official website, the population in 2015 was about 820,000. Xingguo is Hakka area, the ancestors of the population mostly came from Henan, Gansu and other provinces such as Shaanxi, Hebei, Shanxi and Shandong.
Places of interests
The Revolutionary Sites of Xingguo is on the list of Major Historical and Cultural Sites Protected at the National Level. It includes 5 different sites where Mao Zedong, Communist Party, and Red Army had had activities during 1929 - 1933. As a result of these activities, there has been 54 persons from Xingguo appointed as major generals, lieutenant generals, or colonel generals in the army (later additional 2 persons were appointed). So Xingguo is nicknamed as the County of Generals.
In addition, there are 6 historical and cultural sites protected at the provincial level, 9 sites at the prefectural city level, and 25 sites at the county level.
- Lianjiang Academy: Built in 1738 as an academy of classical learning. Mao Zedong held the training class for cadre on land reforms here in 1929. Later it functioned as the seat of the Soviet government of Xingguo County from 1930 to 1934. Protected at the national level as a part of the Revolutionary Sites of Xingguo.
- Zhuhua Pagoda: Initially built during the Tang dynasty, later rebuilt in 1550 during the Ming dynasty. The central pillar is in square shape, which is quite uncommon among pagodas. Protected at the provincial level.
- Inscription "Yongzhen Jiangnan" ("Eternally safeguarding the south of Yangtze") by Wen Tianxiang: It locates in a temple at the top of Mount Dawushan. Protected at the provincial level.
- Bingxin Cave: Scenery with Danxia landform.
- Taipingyan Cave: A cave in Karst landscape area in Meijiao Town.
Highways and roads
- Expressways of China: G72 Quanzhou–Nanning Expressway, Xingguo–Ganxian Expressway
- China National Highways: G238, G319, G356
- Provincial roads: S227, S229
- Beijing–Kowloon Railway
- Nanchang-Ganzhou High Speed Rail (under construction)
- Xingguo-Quanzhou Railway (under construction)
Both airports are within 100 kilometers distance.
Xingguo is a settlement for Hakka people, so it has the characteristics of Hakka culture, including the Hakka Chinese language.
In Xingguo there is a unique folk song genre called Xingguo Shan'ge (mountain song).
- Colonel generals: Chen Qihan, Xiao Hua
- Lieutenant general: Qiu Huizuo
- Politicians: Guo Shengkun, Wang Taihua, Yang Shangkui, Zeng Qinghong
Cuisine and specialities
- Xingguo red carp
- Steamed and dried sweet potato
- Xingguo fish noodle: made from fish meat and sweet potato powder.
- Fen long chuang: fish or meat covered by sweet potato powder, together with spicy taro or sweet potato slices and rice noodles, steamed in a big bamboo case. Together with 4 small dishes, Mao Zedong named it as Si xing wang yue (fours stars gazing at the moon).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Xingguo County.|
- "GÀNZHŌU SHÌ (Prefecture-level City)". citypopulation.de. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "历史沿革". xingguo.gov.cn (in Chinese). 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "自然资源". xingguo.gov.cn (in Chinese). 2014-04-14. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "兴国县简介". xingguo.gov.cn (in Chinese). 2015-03-11. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- Hu Yuchun (2015-12-25). "兴国畲族历史考（一）". xingguoxian.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "文物保护——兴国县各级文物保护单位名单". jxxggmjng.com (in Chinese). 2013-10-28. Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- "资源特产". xingguo.gov.cn (in Chinese). Retrieved 2016-03-21.
- ""四星望月"——毛泽东命名的客家菜". xgjjw.com (in Chinese). Retrieved 2016-03-21.