Xiong surname in regular script
Hîm, Hiông (Pe̍h-ōe-jī)
|Language(s)||Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, Hmong|
|Variant(s)||Xiong, Hsiung (Mandarin)
Hung, Hong (Cantonese)
Hong, Yoong (Hakka)
|Cognate(s)||Mii (surname) (芈)
Zhao (surname) (赵)
|See also||Zhurong (祝融)|
Note that "Hong" and "Hung" may also refer to the unrelated surname 洪.
Although Chinese make up the largest part of America's Asian and Pacific Islander population, none of the romanizations of 熊 appeared among the 1000 most common surnames during the AD 2000 US census.
Zhuanxu (顓頊) the Gaoyang (高陽)'s grandson Jilian (季連) took the ancestral name Mii (芈, 'Mǐ). His descendant[clarification needed] Yuxiong (鬻熊) was the tutor of King Wen of Zhou and died during his reign.
King Wen's grandson King Cheng of Zhou (reigned 1042 – 1021 BC) awarded Yuxiong's great-grandson Xiong Yi the hereditary title of zǐ (子, roughly "viscount") and the fiefdom of Chu. As it grew in power and importance, the Xiong dynasty formed its ruling house and the ruling houses of some of its successor states. To this day, the surname remains prominent in the provinces comprising the former territory of Chu.
The surname of Xiong (熊)[clarification needed]
- Mii (surname) (羋) from Jilian the founder of Chu (state)
- Zhuang (surname) (莊) from King Zhuang of Chu
- Yan (surname) (嚴) from King Zhuang of Chu
- Qu (surname) (屈) from King Wu of Chu
- Gong (surname) (共) from King Wu of Chu
- Bai (surname) (白) from King Ping of Chu
- Quan (surname) (權) from King Wu of Chu
- Sun (surname) (孫) from Sun Shuao
- Ruoao (surname) (若敖) from Ruo'ao
- Cheng (surname) (成) from Ruoao (surname)
- Dou (surname) (鬪) from Ruoao (surname)
- Yuan (surname) (薳) from Fenmao
- Ye (surname) (葉) from Duke of Ye
- Wei (surname) (蔿) from Yuan (surname) (薳)
- Wei (surname) (韋) from Peng (surname) (彭)
- Lì (chinese surname) (利) from Mii (surname) (羋)
- Liu (surname) (柳) from Emperor Yi of Chu
- Ju (surname) (俱) from Mii (surname) (羋)
- Hong (surname) (洪) from Gong (surname) (共)
- David Blang Best **Hmong Ever
- Not actual Hmong
List of persons with the surname
See also: List of the kings of Chu
Irene Yoong-Henery, entrepreneur Andrew Yoong, Deputy Director HDB Singapore, Structural Engineer
- Feng (surname)
- Si (surname)
- Zi (surname)
- Ji (surname)
- Jiang (surname)
- Gui (surname)
- Yíng (Chinese surname)
- Liu (surname)
- Li (surname)
- Jin (surname)
- "Pronunciation of Xiong". Pronounce Names. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census 2000: Chinese Largest Asian Group in the United States". 4 Mar 2002. Accessed 29 Mar 2012.
- United States Census Bureau. "Genealogy Data: Frequently Occurring Surnames from Census 2000[permanent dead link]". 27 Sept 2011. Accessed 29 Mar 2012.
- Requires archaic Chinese font support. Note the lack of the fire radical on the right.
- Sima Qian. "楚世家 (House of Chu)". Records of the Grand Historian (in Chinese). Retrieved 3 December 2011.
|This page lists people with the surname Xiong. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|