Bastida in 2019
|Known for||School strike for climate|
|Home town||San Pedro Tultepec, Lerma|
Xiye Bastida (born 2002) is a youth climate activist and member of the indigenous Mexican Otomi-Toltec nation. She is one of the major organizers of Fridays for Future New York City and has been a leading voice for indigenous and immigrant visibility in climate activism. She is on the administration committee of the People's Climate Movement and a member of Sunrise Movement and Extinction Rebellion.
Bastida was born in Atlacomulco, Mexico to parents Mindahi and Geraldine, who are also environmentalists, and raised in the town of San Pedro Tultepec in Lerma. She is of Otomi-Toltec (indigenous Mexican) and Bolivian descent on her father's side and Chilean and European descent on her mother's. Bastida holds Mexican and Chilean citizenship.
Bastida began her activism with an environmental club. The club protested at Albany and New York City Hall and lobbied for the CLCPA [the Climate and Community Leaders Protection Act] and the Dirty Buildings Bill. It was then she heard about Greta Thunberg and her climate strikes.
Bastida led her high school, The Beacon School, in the first major climate strike in New York City on 15 March 2019. She and Alexandria Villaseñor officially greeted Thunberg upon her arrival from Europe by boat in September 2019 to attend the UN Climate Summit.
- We Rise (2019)
- Burton, Nylah (11 October 2019). "Meet the young activists of color who are leading the charge against climate disaster". Vox. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Vincent, Maddie (17 August 2019). "Youth activists stress collaboration, urgency to respond to climate change". Aspen Times. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "How an Indigenous Teen Climate Activist Plans to Change the World". Teen Vogue. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Bagley, Katherine (7 November 2019). "From a Young Climate Movement Leader, a Determined Call for Action". Yale Environment 365. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Perry, Aaron William (27 August 2019). "Episode 46 – Xiye Bastida, Global Youth Leader: "Strike with Us!"". Yale Environment 360. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Tierra, Desafío (28 August 2019). "Xiye Bastida, la adolescente de madre chilena que recibió a Greta Thunberg en su llegada a Nueva York". CNN Chile (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Labayen, Evalena (10 December 2019). "Environmental activist Xiye Bastida says "OK, Doomers"". Interview Magazine. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Lucente Sterling, Anna (25 September 2019). "This Teen Climate Activist Is Fighting To Ensure Indigenous And Marginalized Voices Are Being Heard". HuffPost. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "Xiye Bastida". Omega. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- ""Young People Have Had Enough": Global Climate Strike Youth Activists on Why They Are Marching Today". Democracy Now. 20 September 2019. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Kamenetz, Anya (19 January 2020). "'You Need To Act Now': Meet 4 Girls Working To Save The Warming World". NPR. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Cimons, Marlene (19 September 2020). "Meet Xiye Bastida, America's Greta Thunberg". PBS. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Kirkland, Allegra (19 December 2019). "Xiye Bastida Opens Up About the Personal Costs of Activism In Documentary 'We Rise'". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 3 February 2020.