|Traded as||NASDAQ: XPER|
S&P 600 Component
Number of employees
|700+ (November 20, 2017)|
Xperi Corporation (formerly Tessera Holding Corporation) is a San Jose, California-based firm that licenses technology and intellectual property in areas such as mobile computing, communications, memory and data storage, and 3-D Integrated Circuit (“3DIC”) technologies, among others. Markets include semiconductor packaging and interconnect solutions, mobile, computational imaging, audio and automotive. Tessera, a subsidiary of Xperi, has licensed its chip packaging technology to numerous semiconductor manufacturers, including Intel and Samsung Electronics.
As the company has evolved, it expanded business through the formation of Invensas, an innovator in next-generation semiconductor and packaging technologies. The company continues to grow and expand through numerous acquisitions: FotoNation, which specializes in image and video enhancement and analysis; Ziptronix, which specializes in 3-D Integrated Circuit technologies; DTS, Inc., an audio technologies company; and assets acquisition from Pelican Imaging.
Tessera was founded in 1990.
Some company milestones are listed below:
- 1990: company founded by former IBM research scientists
- 1994: Hitachi and Shinko Electric Industries Ltd. license Tessera technologies
- 2005: Samsung licenses Tessera technologies
- 2005: Acquired assets of Shellcase MVP 
- 2006: Acquired DigitalOptics Corporation 
- 2008: Acquired FotoNation 
- 2009: Won International Trade Commission ruling against Motorola, Qualcomm, Freescale Semiconductor and Spansion in May 
- 2011: Founded Invensas Corporation
- November 2011: Samsung extends 2005 license agreement with Tessera 
- 2013: Sold Micro-Optics business
- 2013: Closed leased manufacturing facility in Zhuhai, China, and consolidated manufacturing capabilities in Taiwan 
- 2014: Announced cessation of mems | cam manufacturing operations 
- 2015 Acquired Ziptronix 
- November 2016: Acquired assets from Pelican Imaging 
- December 2016: Acquired DTS, Inc. 
- February 2017: Changed name from Tessera Holding Corporation to Xperi Corporation 
- Vance, Ashlee (August 16, 2009). "A Determined Outpost of Tiny Technology". The New York Times. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- "Tessera completes acquisition of Shellcase assets". EE Times. Retrieved 28 December 2005.
- "Tessera Completes Acquisition of Digital Optics Corporation". BusinessWire. 18 July 2006.
- "Tessera Completes Acquisition of FotoNation". Bloomberg. Retrieved 12 February 2008.
- "Tessera Shares Climb on Patent Ruling". WirelessWeek. Associated Press. May 22, 2009. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- "Samsung renews license agreement with Tessera". Reuters. 16 November 2011.
- "Tessera Technologies Announces Strong Second Quarter 2014 Results". Bezinga. BusinessWire. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Tessera Technologies Will Cease All Remaining mems|cam Manufacturing Operations". BusinessWire. 16 January 2014.
- "Tessera to Acquire Ziptronix, Inc. for $39 Million". BusinessWire. 27 August 2015.
- "Tessera Technologies Acquires Technology Assets From Pelican Imaging Corporation". BusinessWire. 1 November 2016.
- "Tessera Completes Acquisition of DTS". BusinessWire. 4 December 2016.
- "Tessera Holding Corporation Announces Name Change to Xperi Corporation". BusinessWire. 22 February 2017.
|This United States corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|