Xplora1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World
|XPLORA1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World|
|Developer(s)||Real World Media (a subsidiary of Real World Studios)|
|Platform(s)||Macintosh, CD-i, PC|
|Release||21 December 1993 (Macintosh)|
XPLORA1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World (or simply XPLORA1) is a musical computer game designed by musician Peter Gabriel.
The game was intended to promote his 1992 album, Us, and the success of Xplora1 would prompt him to release a similar musically themed interactive game entitled EVE in 1996 as the second of his post-WOMAD projects. The game was first released for Macintosh in 1993, followed by Windows in 1994 and CD-i in 1995, in which the project was completed in collaboration with Brilliant Media under Gabriel's own label Real World Records.
The game was conceived of by Brilliant Media's Steve Nelson and pitched to Peter in 1990.The project was developed at Brilliant Media's offices in SOMA, San Francisco, CA. The design and coding for the initial release on Mac CDROM, was created in HyperCard. Footage included WOMAD and on location at the studio in Bath, UK.
The gameplay consists of a number of sub-games such as scavenger hunts, sliding puzzles, etc. In interactive mode the player may watch video interviews with Peter Gabriel, and can explore brief summaries of a number of musicians Gabriel has performed with in the past. As the player completes puzzles and accomplishes goals new areas of the CD are unlocked featuring new content for the player to explore.
Computer Gaming World said in March 1994 that while the backstage footage was interesting, "explorers will have the most fun remixing their own Peter Gabriel music videos and joining in on jam sessions. Multimedia is a much abused term, but this beautiful work deserves the title".
- Best Interactive Product of 1994,
- Best Musical, and
- Best use of Music
- Niemla, Karen (2010-01-04). "XPLORA 1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World". Adventure Classic Gaming. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- Xplora 1: Peter Gabriel's Secret World . MobyGames. Retrieved 28 November 2008.
- Pinto, Martha. XPLORA1 Peter Gabriel's Secret World. University of Michigan. 1995.
- "Taking A Peek". Computer Gaming World. March 1994. pp. 174–180.
- XPLORA1 Peter Gabriel's Secret World Archived November 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. Genesis Discography. 1994.