|Judge of the International Court of Justice|
29 June 2010
15 September 1955 |
|Alma mater||Beijing Foreign Studies University
Xue Hanqin (born 15 September 1955, Shanghai, People's Republic of China) is a judge at the International Court of Justice. On 29 June 2010, she was elected to fill the vacancy created by Shi Jiuyong's resignation on 28 May 2010. She is one of three female judges serving on the ICJ and one of only four women elected as members of the Court to date. Xue is the fifth Chinese judge at the ICJ, and the third representing the People's Republic of China (see Judges of the International Court of Justice).
Having been re-elected to the Court in 2011, Xue's term will expire on 5 February 2021.
In 1982, Xue received an international law diploma from Peking University. She received her LL.M. from Columbia Law School in 1983. From 1980 to 2003, Xue served in the Department of Treaty and Law of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, eventually rising to the position of Director-General. She returned to Columbia Law School in 1991 obtaining a J.S.D. degree in 1995. Xue was appointed as the Chinese ambassador to the Netherlands in 2003 and served until 2008. In December 2008, she became the first Chinese ambassador to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.
- Transboundary Damage in International Law in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- 国际法上的跨界损害问题 in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- Special Panel in Honour of Professor R.P. Anand in the Lecture Series of the United Nations Audiovisual Library of International Law
- "UN / ICJ ELECTION". United Nations. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "GA/11171: General Assembly, Concurrently with Security Council, Elects Four Judges to International Court of Justice" (Press release). United Nations Department of Public Information • News and Media Division • New York. 10 November 2011.
- "Chinese diplomat elected to International Court of Justice". Xinhua News Agency. 29 June 2010. Retrieved 23 July 2010.
- "Swearing-in of two new Members of the Court at a public sitting on Monday 13 September 2010 at 10 am" (PDF) (Press release). International Court of Justice. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 25 July 2011.