|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||356.82 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
|(what is this?)|
Y-23684 is an anxiolytic drug with a novel chemical structure, which is used in scientific research. It has similar effects to benzodiazepine drugs, but is structurally distinct and so is classed as a nonbenzodiazepine anxiolytic.
Y-23684 is a nonselective partial agonist at GABAA receptors. It has primarily anxiolytic and anticonvulsant effects, with sedative and muscle relaxant effects only appearing at higher doses. It produces little ataxia or potentiation of other sedatives such as ethanol or barbiturates when compared to the benzodiazepines diazepam and clobazam in animal tests.
Y-23684 has a favourable pharmacological profile, producing strong anxiolytic and moderate anticonvulsant effects at low doses that cause little or no sedative side effects. It has been proposed for development for human medical use, but has not yet gone beyond animal tests.
- Nakao T, Obata M, Kawakami M, Morita K, Tanaka H, Morimoto Y, Takehara S, Yakushiji T, Tahara T. Studies on the synthesis of condensed pyridazine derivatives. IV. Synthesis and anxiolytic activity of 2-aryl-5,6-dihydro-(1)benzothiepino[5,4- c]pyridazin-3(2H)-ones and related compound. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin (Tokyo). 1991 Oct;39(10):2556-63.
- Nakao T, Obata M, Yamaguchi Y, Marubayashi N, Ikeda K, Morimoto Y. Synthesis and biological activities of optical isomers of 2-(4-chlorophenyl)-5,6-dihydro-(1)benzothiepino[5,4-c]pyridazin-3(2H)-one-7-oxide. Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin (Tokyo). 1992 Jan;40(1):117-21.
- Yakushiji T, Shirasaki T, Munakata M, Hirata A, Akaike N. Differential properties of type I and type II benzodiazepine receptors in mammalian CNS neurones. British Journal of Pharmacology. 1993 Jul;109(3):819-25.
- Yasumatsu H, Morimoto Y, Yamamoto Y, Takehara S, Fukuda T, Nakao T, Setoguchi M. The pharmacological properties of Y-23684, a benzodiazepine receptor partial agonist. British Journal of Pharmacology. 1994 Apr;111(4):1170-8.
- Griebel G, Perrault G, Sanger DJ. Differences in anxiolytic-like profile of two novel nonbenzodiazepine BZ (omega) receptor agonists on defensive behaviors of mice. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 1999 Apr;62(4):689-94.
- Griebel G, Perrault G, Tan S, Schoemaker H, Sanger DJ. Comparison of the pharmacological properties of classical and novel BZ-omega receptor ligands. Behavioural Pharmacology. 1999 Sep;10(5):483-95.