YAM (Yet Another Mailer)
|Developer(s)||YAM Open Source Team|
2.9p1 (April 18, 2014[±])
|Operating system||AmigaOS (68k), AmigaOS 4 (PPC), MorphOS, AROS|
YAM (short for Yet Another Mailer) is a MIME-compliant e-mail client written for AmigaOS based computers. It supports multi-POP3, APOP, SMTP, TLSv1/SSLv3, multiple users, PGP, unlimited hierarchical folders, filters, a configurable GUI (based on MUI) and an ARexx interface and many other features which are common for Mail User Agents (MUA) today.
The first version of YAM, developed by Marcel Beck, was released to the Amiga public in 1995. While it was usable, it was relatively basic in terms of functionality. The 2.x release featured a major redesign of the user interface and added a lot of new features. It was (and still is) the most commonly used email client on Amiga computers, thanks in part to the fact that it was always a freeware application.
In late 2000, Marcel Beck ceased developing YAM, but released the source code under the GPL open source license. This allowed development to continue almost uninterrupted and the first new stable version (2.3) was released a year later.
Despite the shrinking user base in the Amiga market, YAM is still being developed in versions for AmigaOS 3.x (68k), AmigaOS 4.0 (PPC) and MorphOS. The version 2.4 was released in May 2003 and after a 5-year period of constant development the latest version (2.5) was released in December 2007. Furthermore, in February 2010 another version (2.6) has been released after two more years of development. This new version brought several minor improvements and support for the alternative AROS operating system. In December 2011 version 2.7 was released.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Nikola Smolenski (September 1998). "YAM (Yet Another Mailer)". Svet Kompjutera.
- "YAM" (PDF). Clubbed (3). Total Amiga. pp. 24–25.
- Adam Hough (July 1996). "YAM (Yet Another Mailer) v1.2 Review". Computer Equipment and Software Reviews.
- Adam Hough (August 1996). "Yet Another Mailer 1.3 (YAM) Review". Computer Equipment and Software Reviews.
- Uwe Röhm (1996-11-11). "YAM 1.3.2 — Yet Another Mailer". AMIGA-Magazin.
- Jérome Chappuis (March 2002). "En pratique : configuration de YAM (Yet Another Mailer)". Obligement (in French). — third-party documentation for YAM