Yasubedin Rastegar Jooybari
Yasubedin Rastegar Jooybari
آيت الله العظمى يعسوب الدين رستگار جويبارى
|Born||1940 (age 77–78)|
|Religion||Usuli Twelver Shia Islam|
He has repeatedly been arrested for his opposition against the current Iranian government, in particular Supreme Leader Khamenei. Khamenei's elevation to supreme leader was challenged by him.
Ayatollah Yasub al-Din Rastgari, accused of criticizing government policies, has been arrested and detained several times. During his arrest in late February 1996, he was held in incommunicado detention, reportedly mainly in Tawhid and Evin Prisons in Tehran until July 1996. In August 1996, he was sentenced to three years imprisonment for having held a mourning ceremony for the late Grand Ayatollah Shariatmadari. He was sentenced by the Special Clerical Court after a summary trial on vaguely worded charges, in which he had no access to a lawyer.
Ayatollah Rastgari was released from prison in December 1996, but immediately afterwards was placed under house arrest in Qom. Rastgari was again arrested on April 27, 2004 and sentenced by the Special Clerical Court to four years in prison for “insulting Islam” and “causing schism” through his book, The Reality of Religious Unity. He has reportedly been tortured while in detention and is held incommunicado without access to his family.
His two sons were arrested with him at the time. After publishing Rastgari's book "The Reality of Religious Unity," the book’s publisher was shut down.
- Mirjam Künkler (2013). Arjomand, Said Amir; Brown, Nathan J., eds. The rule of law, Islam, and constitutional politics in Egypt and Iran. Albany, NY: State University of New York Press. p. 82. ISBN 9781438445984. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "List of living Iranian Grand Ayatollahs" (PDF). fanack.com. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- List of Maraji in Arabic
- Biography in Persian
- زندگینامه حضرت آیت الله العظمی یعسوب الدین رستگار جویباری
- "Iran govt called for release of Ayatollah Rastegari". www.jafariyanews.com. ISCHRO. February 12, 2006. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Jamsheed K. Choksy (2011-05-25). "Ayatollah Khamenei's Inauspicious 70th Birthday". TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Documento - Iran: Unacknowledged detention / fear of "disappearance": Ayatollah Ya'sub al-Din Rastgari". amnesty.org. 17 May 1996. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Shi'a religious leaders as victims of human rights violations, From Amnesty International. AI INDEX: MDE 13/24/97. 3 JUNE, 1997
- "Shiite Seminaries in Najaf, Qom Struggle With Dual Roles". al-monitor.com. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- ANDERSON, BENDIX (11 Sep 2009). "Ayatollah Watch". www.pbs.org. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Grand Ayatollah Yasub al-Din Rastgari: detained in Iran for publishing a book on Islamic history". historynewsnetwork.org. 2005-10-20. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Network of Concerned Historians
- Amnesty International Report 13/24/97
- Network of Concerned Historians, “Ayatollah Yasub al-Din Rastgari: detained in Iran for publishing a book on Islamic history,” 20.10.2005, http://www.let.rug.nl/nch.
- Short biography
- ISCHRO Calls for the Release of Ayatollah Rastegari
- عاجل/ رسالة المرجع الرستكاري إلى خامنئي من داخل السجن
|This biographical article about a person notable in connection with Islam is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Iranian religious figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|