Yaba College of Technology
Yaba College of Technology was established in 1947 as a successor of Yaba Higher College. It attained autonomous status in 1969 by virtue of Decree 23 which granted it the mandate to provide full-time and part-time courses of instruction and training in technology, applied science, commerce and management, agricultural production and distribution; and for research.
Yaba College of Technology is the first higher institution in Nigeria to establish a Centre for Entrepreneurship Development, with linkages with the world of commerce and industry. The centre offers compulsory courses which must be taken by all students throughout their stay in the college.
There is a Quality Assurance Unit in the college which monitors the quality of academic service delivery.
The Applied Research and Technology Innovation (ARTI) Unit was established to promote research and linkages with private sector organizations for the exploitation and use of research. ARTI also assists to promote linkages between students of Yabatech and students of other institutions especially in the area of research.
Free medical service is provided at the Medical Centre, which is open 24/7. Sports facilities are provided. The college has won the Nigerian Polytechnic Games five times out of sixteen editions of the competition.
The college has a second campus at Epe. The campus is home to the Department of Agricultural Technology and Michael Otedola Information and Communication Centre.
YABATECH Courses and Programmes
Yaba College of Technology has eight schools and thirty-four academic departments with a total of sixty-four accredited programmes, across ND, HND and Post-HND levels. The college also offers certificate courses.
YABATECH offers B.Sc (Ed) courses in Technical and Vocational education and Postgraduate Diplomas in Engineering. The two programmes are run in conjunction with the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and the Federal University of Technology, Akure, respectively. The student population which is made up of both full-time and part-time students is in the range of 15,000, while the staff strength is 1,600.
In April of 2015, the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) approved five new courses for Yaba College of Technology. The courses are Higher National Diploma in Mass Communication, Banking and Finance, Metallurgy Engineering, National Diploma in Welding and Fabrication and Public Administration.
- "Yaba College of Technology". Nigeriaweb - Education. Odili.net. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "About Us". Yaba College of Technology. 2008. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- Toby-Lade, Joseph W.O. "HISTORY AND REASON THAT LED TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF NIGERIAN ASSOCIATION OF TECHNOLOGICAL ENGINEERS "NATE" (NOW KNOWN AS NIGERIAN ASSOCIATION OF TECHNOLOGISTS IN ENGINEERING) "NATE"". History. Nigerian Association of Technologists in Engineering. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Brief History of the College". Yaba College of Technology. 2005. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "NBTE Approves 5 New Programmes In Yabatech". NGSCHOLARS.NET. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Yaba College of Technology official website
- Yaba College of Technology on the African Studies Center
|This article on a Nigerian institution of higher education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|