|President||Comisión Interventora y Fortalecimiento Institucional (CIFI): José María Lalama Aguirre, Ph.D.|
Hacienda San José s/n y Proyecto Yachay (Ciudad del conocimiento Yachay),
Yachay Tech University (Universidad Yachay Tech) is a public university in San Miguel de Urcuquí, Imbabura Province Ecuador. The university is part of Yachay, a project under development by the government of Ecuador to establish a hub for technological innovation and knowledge intensive businesses. The university opened in the first quarter of 2014 as one of the emblematic institutions in Ecuador. The word Yachay is a Kichwa word that means "knowledge". Yachay Tech is a research oriented institution.
The curriculum focuses on the scientific-technological area, and one of its main components is dual training, where students combine academic learning in the classroom with work practices in the company.
Yachay Tech University was planned during the government of the Ecuadorian former President Rafael Correa in 2013 as one of four 'Emblematic Universities', as part of his political project The Citizens' Revolution. However, it is a non-political entity. The university collaborates with public and private research institutions.
On March 31, 2014, it began his academic work, with 187 students from 22 provinces of Ecuador who obtained a place in the National Exam for Higher Education (currently called the EAES exam), entrance exams to the public higher education system from this country.
The Government of Ecuador invested more than one billion dollars in the construction project of the University, initially directed by the public company Siembra EP (Previously Yachay EP). However, of every USD100 invested in such a project, less than USD 9 went to the University. In 6 years, Yachay Tech earmarked approximately USD 90M.
According to the Public Expenditure Observatory of Ecuador, the budget of the universities in 2020 is USD 1.2 billion, of which USD 16.6 million goes to Yachay Tech. It places Yachay in the 23rd position out of 31 higher education institutions that the state finances. With just 1.43% of budget allocation, the university has positioned itself as the best in that country in research issues. Yachay Tech, along with the National Polytechnic School (EPN) and the San Francisco de Quito University (USFQ), lead the research podium according to Nature, the multidisciplinary scientific journal.
By 2040, Yachay Tech projects to have 10,000 students. It was created as a science and technology development university. Its creation file mentions the objectives of promoting scientific research, technological development, and disseminating knowledge.
It prioritizes the training of students for interdisciplinary and collaborative scientific activities. It considers the needs of other public and private research institutions and the creation of research networks at the national and international levels.
In May 2018, the Secretary of Higher Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (Senescyt), Augusto Barrera, apparently ratified his commitment to "resize, give tranquility, continuity and enhance" the University.
According to Nature Index, the top 10 institutions by scientific output in Ecuador are: National Polytechnic School (EPN), Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador (PUCE), and Yachay Tech University (Yachay Tech).
Nature Index - Top 10 institutions from Ecuador between 1 May 2020 - 1 April 2021
|1.||National Polytechnic School (EPN)||48||1.81|
|2.||Pontifical Catholic University of Ecuador (PUCE)||7||1.58|
|3.||Yachay Tech University (YT)||5||1.58|
|4.||Universidad San Francisco de Quito (USFQ)||53||1.46|
|5.||Universidad de las Américas (UDLA)||5||1.02|
|6.||Universidad del Azuay (UDA)||1||0.15|
|7.||University of Cuenca (UCUENCA)||2||0.14|
|8.||Universidad Técnica del Norte (UTN)||2||0.08|
|9.||EcoMinga Foundation (EcoMinga)||1||0.07|
|10.||Universidad Técnica de Machala (UTMACH)||1||0.06|
The university consists of five schools.. The academic offer, the lines of research, and the training of the students correspond to the areas that the Ecuadorian government has detected as priorities for the change of the country's productive matrix.
University schools with careers at disposal:
School of Biological Sciences and Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
School of Chemical Sciences and Engineering
Dean: Dr. Vivian Morera
- Materials Engineering
School of Earth Sciences, Energy and Environment
Dean: Dr. Juan Ruano
- Food Agroindustry
School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences
Dean: Dr. Antonio Acosta
- Information Technologies
School of Physical Sciences and Nanotechnology
Dean: Dr. Gema González Vázquez
- Nanotechnology Engineering
- Master in Applied Physics with Major in Nanotechnology (Posgraduate totally in English)
Joint training with the National University of Education:
- Experimental Sciences
Administration and organization
Board of Trustees (2019):
- Spiros Agathos, Ph.D. (President)
- Fabián Obando (Legal Secretary)
- Paul Arellano, Ph.D.
- Hortensia Rodriguez, Ph.D.
- Andreas Griewank, Ph.D.
- Rector: Juan Ruano, Ph.D.
- Vice Chancellor of Research and Innovation: Frank Alexis, Ph.D., since March 2019.
- Dean of the School Biological Sciences and Engineering: Spyros Agathos Ph.D., since November 2015.
- Dean of the School of Chemical Sciences and Engineering: Hortensia Rodriguez Ph.D., since June 2017.
- Dean of the School of Earth Sciences, Energies and Environment: Paul Arellano Ph.D., since June 2017.
- Dean of the School of Mathematical Sciences and Information Technology: Andreas Griewank Ph.D., since July 2016.
- Dean of the School of Physical Sciences and Nanotechnology: Ernesto Medina Ph.D., since June 2017.
- "Member Institutes".
- "Nuestros Miembros".
- "Consejo de Educación dio paso a la intervención de las universidades Yachay e Ikiam".
- Yachay, Ciudad del Conocimiento –. "Ciudad del Conocimiento - Yachay » Universidad Yachay Tech".
- yachay.gob.ec - What is Yachay?
- "Inicia "el boom del conocimiento en Ecuador"" (in Spanish). April 4, 2014. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Proyecto Universidad YACHAY | Ciudad del Conocimiento - Yachay". April 8, 2014. Archived from the original on April 8, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- "Yachay Área Académica | Ciudad del Conocimiento - Yachay". April 20, 2014. Archived from the original on April 20, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- Víctor Vega (September 2, 2013). "University of Yachay begins to teach in 2014". Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "The creation of four 'mega-universities' makes way for a change in Ecuador's production matrix". Andes. June 3, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "Senescyt - SENNA: Examen Nacional para la Educación Superior (ENES)" (PDF). April 8, 2014. Archived (PDF) from the original on April 8, 2014. Retrieved May 28, 2021.
- Leonardo Gómez Ponce, ed. (May 26, 2020). "El presupuesto de las universidades, ¿dinero bien gastado?". www.gastopublico.org (in Spanish). Observatorio de Gasto Público. Presupuesto Anual de las Universidades Públicas del Ecuador. Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "Ecuador | Country outputs | Nature Index". www.natureindex.com. Nature. May 31 – June 1, 2020.
- Misión y Visión Universidad Yachay
- "LA HORA (Quito) Gobierno reafirma continuidad de Yachay con reducción de presupuesto". ecuadorinmediato.com. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- "Yachay Tech". www.yachaytech.edu.ec (in Spanish). Retrieved April 3, 2019.
- El cambio de matriz productiva se cimentará en la economía del conocimiento
- "Maestría Física Aplicada – Yachay Tech" (in Spanish). Retrieved August 1, 2020.
- "Comisión Gestora - Yachay Tech".
- "Leadership - Yachay Tech".
- "Inaugural Dean of the School of Biological Sciences and Engineering: Spiros Agathos. Ph.D. joins YT - Yachay Tech".
- Yachay Tech University - Official website
- Yachay City of Knowledge - Official website
- Yachay Tech University Virtual tour