|Region||Kalyana karnataka(ಕಲ್ಯಾಣ ಕನಾಽಟಕ)|
|Lok Sabha Constituency||Raichur (Lok Sabha constituency)|
|• Total||5.6 km2 (2.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||389 m (1,276 ft)|
|• Density||10,500.36/km2 (27,195.8/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
585201 / 585202
Yadgir, historically known as Yetagiri, is dotted with many historical monuments and has a hill fort with three rounds of fortifications. There are three ancient temples, medieval mosques, tanks and wells on top of the hill. A pond, the Sanna Kere is located in the heart of the town.
In 2011, Yadgir had a population of 1,172,985 of whom males were 591,104 and females 581,881 respectively. In the 2001 census, Yadgir had a population of 956,180 of whom males were 482,347 and 473,933 were females. Yadgir district's population constitutes 1.92 percent of the total population of Karnataka. In the 2001 census, this figure for Yadgir district was at 1.81 percent.
There was a change of 22.67 percent in the population compared to the population as per the 2001 census. In the census of 2001, Yadgir district recorded an increase of 20.12 percent to its population compared to 1991.
The initial provisional data released by census India 2011 shows that the density of Yadgir district for 2011 is 224 people per km2. In 2001, Yadgir district's density was 183 people per km2. Yadgir district covers an area of 5,225 sq. km.
Average literacy rate of Yadgir in 2011 was 52.36, compared to 39.90 in 2001. Male and female literacy were 63.33 and 41.31 respectively. In the 2001 census, the same figures stood at 51.35 and 28.32. The total number of literates in Yadgir district was 516,940, of whom male and female were 313,797 and 203,143 respectively.
Culture and religion
In Yadgir, there are many spiritual places, e.g., Mayllapur Mallayya. The temple of Shree Kshetra Mouneshwara in Tinthani in Surapura Taluka attracts more than 100,000 devotees every year. In Gurmitkal is situated the famous Mata Manikeshwari temple. The sofi sarmast durga is in the village of Sagar in the Shahapur taluka. The durga attracts thousands of people in the urus. Darga Shah Jeewan Shah is located near the Gunj area of Yadgir.
Agriculture in the district is mainly rainfed. The net area irrigated to the net area sown is 38%, which is above the state average of 24%. Krishna, Bhima and Dhoni rivers flow through the district. The irrigation projects in the district are Hattikuni and Soudagar. There are 36 lift irrigation schemes and 445 minor irrigation tanks in the district.
The town was part of the empire of the Western Chalukyas from the 10th to the 12th centuries. The name Yadgir (historically Yetagiri) is derived from its early medieval rulers, the 'Yadavas'. Their establishments were on a hill ('giri' in Kannada means hill). Major economic development of the city took place under Philip Meadows Taylor, the British administrator of the principality of Shorapur.
Heritage and tourist sites
- Yadgir Fort
- Lumbini Park Yadgir
- Hattikuni Dam
- Shorapur Fort
- Vanadurga Fort
- Lumbini Park Yadgir
- Taylor Manzil
- Rajavenkatappa Nayaka fort and Palace
- dhabdhabi falls
Yadgir is connected by road and rail.
Yadgir has a broad gauge railway station, Yadgir railway station, and lies between Mumbai and Chennai. It comes under the South Central Railway under the Guntakal division. The city is connected to Gulbarga, 78 km. away by rail and 84 km. away by road. From Raichur, its distance is 81 km. It is located between the two districts - Gulbarga and Raichur.
State Highway 15 passes through the city connecting the city to Bijapur and Hyderabad. Important cities connected through buses to the city are Bengaluru, Hubballi, Dharwad, Belagavi, Shirasi, Hosapete, Vasco da Gama in Goa, Hyderabad, Ballari, Raichur.
Two rivers flow through Yadgir district, the Krishna and the Bhima. There is a lot of scope for industrialization.[original research?] A sugar factory and a fuel factory, "Core Green" are established near Hiretumkur village. Recently, rich uranium deposits have been found in the Gogi belt, covering the villages of Gogi, Ukkinal & Darshanapur in Shahapur taluk and Thinthini & other places in Surapur taluk. Uranium mined and processed here will be used for defense and power generation purposes.. near saidapur in yadgir taluk there is an industrial area called kadechur-badiyal industrial area, which estimates 3000 acres. the karnataka government has aproved proposals by 67 pharmacy companies to set up their units in the kadechar-badiyal bulk drug park in the same industrial area. these companies are expected to invest over 2812 crores and generate over 11000 jobs.
- Kollur Mallappa - Freedom fighter and Indian Politician.
- Vishwanath Reddy Mudnal - Freedom fighter and Indian Politician.
- Vidyadhar Guruji Sayanna - Freedom fighter and Indian Politician.
- Channareddy Patil Tunnur - Indian Politician.
- Baburao Chinchansur - Indian Politician.
- Veer Basawanthreddy Mudnal - Doctor and Indian Politician.
- Sharanabasappa Darshanapur - Indian Politician.
- Raju Gowda - Indian Politician.
- Venkatreddy Mudnal - Indian Politician.
- Nagangouda Kandkur - Indian Politician.
- Rafeeq Saudagar - Indian Urdu poet.
- "Population of Corporation/CMC/TMC/TP: Population 2001 Census". Directorate of Municipal Administration, Government of Karnataka. Archived from the original on 10 April 2009.
- "A strong hold on the past". 3 January 2011. Retrieved 7 January 2011.
- Naraboli, Ravikumar (5 June 2016). "Lumbini Park in Yadgir is a picture of neglect". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
- "Yadgir District Population Census 2011-2021, Karnataka literacy sex ratio and density".
- "Yadgir District Map Showing Railway Line". Yadgir District.
- "Yadgir railway station plays it cool". www.thehindu.com. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "NEKRTC Yadgir Division". www.nekrtc.com. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- Srinivas Sirnoorkar (13 May 2010). "India's third uranium mining unit at Gogi". Deccan Herald.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yadgir.|