|Alma mater||Manipal University|
Yagna Shetty is an Indian actress known for her work in Kannada cinema. She made her debut in the 2007 film Ondu Preethiya Kathe, following which she appeared in Eddelu Manjunatha, a performance that won her a Filmfare Special Award. She got noticed for her performances in Sugreeva (2010) and Allide Nammane Ille Bande Summane (2011). Known for portraying deglamorous and serious roles, she went on to appear in other critical and commercial successes such as Love Guru (2009), Kalla Malla Sulla (2011) and Ulidavaru Kandanthe (2014). She made her television debut in 2016 with Vaarasdaara.
Yagna Shetty was born to Umesh Shetty and Jayanti Shetty, into the Tuluva community in Kudremukh, Karnataka. She has three siblings – Mahalaxmi, Gayatri and Ashwini. She completed her schooling at the Kendriya School in Panambur, Bachelor of Business Management (BBM) course at the SDM College in Mangalore and later pursued Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Finance at the Manipal University.
Shetty auditioned for her debut role in the 2007 Kannada language film Ondu Preethiya Kathe in Hindi due to her non fluency in Kannada at the time. She was cast as the female lead opposite Shanker Aryan. The film received positive reviews from critics, with Shetty's performance receiving praise. Rediff in its review called it a "promising debut". In 2009, she starred in two films, Eddelu Manjunatha and Love Guru, and received critical acclaim for her performances in both the films. For her portrayal of Gowri in the comedy film Eddelu Manjunatha, the wife of Manjunatha (played by Jaggesh), a hard working woman struggling to make ends meet, she received the Filmfare Special Award. For her performance in the latter film, received a Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress nomination.
Shetty had two releases in 2010. Her first role was in Sugreeva, in which she was cast opposite Shiva Rajkumar as his wife and of a mother to a wannabe Michael Jackson. Rediff called her performance in the film "convincing". In her next release Kari Chirathe, she played the role of Bharathi, who falls in love with a mentally unstable person (played by Duniya Vijay). 2011 saw three releases of Shetty, among which was the comedy film Kalla Malla Sulla, a performance for which she received critical acclaim, playing the role of the wife of a media baron (played by Ramesh Arvind).
Shetty's first release of 2014 was Kwatle, a film that was received largely negative reviews from critics. The Times of India in its review called her performance "a complete failure". In her next film, she starred in a supporting role as Sharada, a fishwife and the love interest of Munna (played by Kishore) in Ulidavaru Kandanthe, a critical success but however failed to perform commercially. In her final release of 2014, she played Yagna in Sadagara, which received mixed reviews from critics. As of March 2015, Shetty has the delayed project Love Junction, H/34 Pallavi Talkies and Octopus up for release. She is currently filming with Ramabai, playing the titular role, a biographical film on the life of Ramabai, the first wife of social reformer B. R. Ambedkar and Ram Gopal Varma's Killing Veerappan as Muthulakshmi, the wife of slain forest brigand, Veerappan.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2007||Ondu Preethiya Kathe||Sakshi|
|2009||Eddelu Manjunatha||Gowri||Filmfare Special Award – South|
|2009||Love Guru||Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress – Kannada|
|2011||Allide Nammane Ille Bande Summane|
|2011||Kalla Malla Sulla||Ramya|
|2016||Killing Veerappan||Muthulakshmi||Nominated, SIIMA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Kannada|
|2019||H/34 Pallavi Talkies|
|2019||Lakshmi's NTR||Lakshmi Parvathi|
- Vaarasdaara (2016–2017)
- "Yagna Shetty - I am Happy in Kannada". supergoodmovies.com. 22 July 2012. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Yagna is not just serious". Deccan Chronicle. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Mangalore: ' I didn't Intend to Act in Movies' Yajna Shetty". daijiworld.com. 15 November 2006. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Film and finance for Yagna Shetty". indiaglitz.com. 29 September 2006. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Yagna Shetty makes her presence felt". The Times of India. 3 April 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Ondu Preethiya Kathe: A promising debut". rediff.com. 2 August 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Filmfare Awards night at South". The Times of India. 9 August 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Watch Sugreeva for Shivarajkumar". rediff.com. 26 February 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Kannada Review: 'Kalla Malla Sulla' is a must watch". ibnlive.in.com. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Kwatle Movie Review". The Times of India. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Revelling in small pleasures of life". Deccan Herald. 6 April 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "NBT fair reminded me of my school days: Yagna Shetty". daijiworld.com. 9 January 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "Yagna Shetty to romance Tilak in her next film". The Times of India. 30 April 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "'Octopus' to be a mystery thriller". sify.com. 5 September 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- "Yagna shetty is smt ramabai". indiaglitz.com. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Parul, Yagna in Killing Veerappan". The New Indian Express. 18 June 2015. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- "Yagna Shetty to play mother in Vaarasudaara". The Times of India. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2017.
- A. Sharadhaa (25 November 2016). "Yagna shetty to make her small screen debut". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 28 January 2017.