This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Formation||March 4, 2008|
|Type||Contract research organization|
Yahoo! Labs includes approximately 200 research scientists and engineers. Yahoo! Labs applies its scientific findings in powering products for Yahoo!'s users and enhancing value for its partners and advertisers.
The mission statement of Yahoo! Labs is "To power Yahoo!'s most critical products with innovative science."
- Covers the spectrum from use-inspired foundational research to applied science
- Anticipates and invent technology-based opportunities
- Creates technology that is used by hundreds of millions of customers every day
- Provides scientific insights on Yahoo!'s key growth areas: mobile, video, native advertising, and social
- Explores fundamental computational, social, and economic phenomena
- Works extremely closely with Yahoo! software development organizations
- Includes leaders in the international scientific research community
- Works closely with the world’s leading universities
Yahoo! Labs is headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA; it has three additional locations worldwide: New York, New York; London, England; Haifa, Israel.
Yahoo! Labs started out as Yahoo! Research. In July 2005, recruited by Usama Fayyad (formerly of Microsoft Research), who was Yahoo!’s Chief Data Officer, Prabhakar Raghavan and Andrew Tomkins (both formerly of IBM Research) joined a few Yahoo! employees (Kevin Lang among them) who were with Yahoo! working for the erstwhile "Yahoo! Research Labs" organization, and formed the new research team. Prabhakar was named as Head of Yahoo! Research. Ronald J. Brachman, just finishing a term as office director at DARPA and a long career at Bell Labs and AT&T Labs, joined as the head of worldwide research operations in early September. The pioneering team was soon joined by a key set of additional leaders, including Andrei Broder and Ricardo Baeza-Yates.
In 2008, Yahoo! Research merged with the Search and Advertising Applied Science organization and came to be known by its modern name, Yahoo Labs. In 2012, Ron Brachman took over as Head of Yahoo! Labs and also became Yahoo's chief scientist.
Yahoo! Labs includes two groups unrelated to research:
Academic Partnerships at Yahoo! Labs maximizes the impact of Yahoo!'s engagements with the global scientific community by building deep relationships with select academic research institutions and fostering collaborative research through dynamic programs: sharing large-scale datasets for research, managing Yahoo!'s donation of computing resources, supporting diversity and campus events, hosting academic visits and talks, and funding project grants and merit-based awards. The Academic Partnerships team positions Yahoo as one of the first companies that leading academics think of for new research collaborations, employment opportunities, and inspiring and entertaining online products. Additionally, the team aids Yahoo with graduate student sourcing and helps keep the company up-to-date on strategic opportunities and insights from the external research community.
Operations at Yahoo! Labs is responsible for managing the day-to-day processes and procedures for all of the organization's research scientists and engineers across the world. The Operations team leads Yahoo! corporate initiatives on behalf of the Labs and tracks progress for Labs goals. Furthermore, the Operations team is responsible for managing Yahoo! Labs' finances, recruiting efforts, events, and communications. Perhaps most importantly, the team nurtures, grows, and supports Yahoo! Labs' culture in order to retain and attract the top researchers in industry and academia.
- Best Paper award winners at KDD, UIST, SocInfo, and CIKM in 2013; SPAA, Hypertext, UbiComp, MobileHCI, and RecSys in 2014; ECIR, ICWSM, and ICML in 2015
- 96 patents issued to Yahoo! Labs inventors in 2013 and 2014, and 50+ in 2015
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), IEEE, AAAI, and Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) fellows and distinguished members; past president of AAAI
- General and PC Chairs at leading conferences
- Past and current editors, associate editors, and editors-in-chief of leading scientific journals
- Authors and editors of academic and popular press books
- Member of the Board of Directors and Treasurer of the Computing Research Association (CRA)
- Tumblr: http://yahoolabs.tumblr.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/YahooLabs