Yahoo! Search BOSS
In 2012, Yahoo expanded their Yahoo Search BOSS platform to provide additional services such as BOSS Hosted Search to enable any website owner to embed Yahoo web search experience for free on their site.
The main goal and idea of BOSS was to give users, in it's case developers, access to the Yahoo Search index for a small fee. The results could be supplied into the developer's website or program so that they could manipulate the resources according to their product's requirements. BOSS allowed the results to be returned in XML, JSON, HTML, or text and allowed use of comprehensive search features available in Yahoo, like pulling the results by page, searching inside PDFs, etc. The ranking of the websites for a search term was the same as the Yahoo Search ranking since both of these were pulling from the same index and ranking.
One of BOSS's key differentiators was the free use of BOSS as a white label, no ads required service. By using Yahoo's search engine, which has had millions in R&D invested in it in the years since Yahoo boomed in the 1990s, web developers were able to get much higher quality results than if they built their own search engine. On Aug 17th, 2010 Yahoo stated that BOSS would require some sort of ad or fee-based model to sustain itself.
BOSS Hosted Search
According to Yahoo press meeting, there were 30 million queries a day being run through BOSS powered web search pages.
- Yahoo Search BOSS YDN Page
- "Yahoo! Search BOSS EOL". boss.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- "Yahoo! Search BOSS FAQ: "Why are BOSS APIs being discontinued?"". developer.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- Yahoo Search BOSS Portal
- "Yahoo Search BOSS - YDN". Developer.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 (2010-08-17). "As Bing Takes Over Yahoo Search, SearchMonkey Dies, BOSS Is No Longer Free, But Site Explorer Still Works". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 (2009-05-19). "Live From Yahoo's "End of the 10 Blue Links" Talk". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2012-09-18.