This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Citizenship||Iranian American |
|Alma mater||University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign|
|Awards||Member of US National Academy of Engineering (2008)|
|Institutions||University of California, Los Angeles|
Yahya Rahmat-Samii (born August 20, 1948) is Professor and holder of the Northrop Grumman Chair in Electromagnetics at Electrical Engineering Department at the University of California, Los Angeles, where he teaches and conducts research on microwave transmission and radio antennas. He has made innovations in satellite communications antennas, personal communication antennas, wearable and implanted antennas for communications and biotelemetry, and antennas for remote sensing and radio astronomy applications. He is the Director of the UCLA Antenna Research, Analysis and Measurement Laboratory.
Professor Rahmat-Samii received his Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering in 1970 from the University of Tehran, Iran, and the Master of Science in 1972 and the Doctor of Philosophy degrees in Electrical Engineering in 1975 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining UCLA in 1989, he was a Senior Research Scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
Awards and honors
- IEEE Electromagnetics Award (2011)
- Member of the National Academy of Engineering (2008)
- Chen-To Tai Distinguished Educator Award of the IEEE Antennas & Propagation Society (2007)
- International Union of Radio Science Booker Gold Medal (2005)
- Foreign Member of The Royal Academies for Science and the Arts of Belgium (2001)
- Honoris Causa Doctorate, Universidade de Santiago de Compostela, Spain (2001)
- IEEE Third Millennium Medal (2000)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (1999)
- 2008: Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering ISBN 052188991X .
- 2006: (with J. Kim) Implanted Antennas in Medical Wireless Communications, Morgan and Claypool Publishers.
- 1999: (with E. Michielssen as editors) Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, NY.
- 1995: (with D. Hoppe) Impedance Boundary Conditions in Electromagnetics, Taylor & Francis, Washington, DC.
- Yahya Rahmat-Samii was elected in 2008 as a member of National Academy of Engineering in Electronics, Communication & Information Systems Engineering for contributions to the design and measurement of reflector and handheld-device antennas.
- UCLA Antenna Research, Analysis, and Measurement Laboratory at Department of Electrical Engineering, UCLA
- Professor Rahmat-Samii at UCLA
- Rahmat-Samii, NAE member from National Academy of Engineering
- 1999 Distinguished Alumni Award, link from Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign