Aparicio at an event for Roma in 2018
Yalitza Aparicio Martínez
11 December 1993
Yalitza Aparicio Martínez (pronunciation (help·info)) Spanish: [ɟaˈlitsa apaˈɾisjo maɾˈtines] (born 11 December 1993) is a Mexican actress. She is best known for her debut performance as Cleo in Alfonso Cuarón's 2018 drama film Roma, which earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress.
Life and career
Aparicio was born on December 11, 1993 in Heroica Ciudad de Tlaxiaco, Oaxaca. Her parents are of indigenous origin; her father is Mixtec and her mother is Triqui. She is not, however, fluent in the Mixtec language and she had to learn it for the film Roma. Aparicio was raised by a single mother who worked as a maid. She does not have any formal training in acting, but has pursued a degree in pre-school education while already holding a degree in early childhood education. 
Aparicio's breakthrough performance in Roma (2018) has earned her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. Aparicio is the first Indigenous woman to be recognized, and the second Mexican woman to garner a Best Actress nomination, following Salma Hayek for her role in the 2002 film Frida. She has also earned nominations in the same category from the Chicago Film Critics Association, the Critics' Choice Movie Awards, the Hollywood Film Awards, the Gotham Awards, the San Francisco Film Critics Circle, the Satellite Awards, and the Women Film Critics Circle, as well as recognition from Time and The New York Times.
- Roma (2018), Cleo
Awards and nominations
|2018||Chicago Film Critics Association||Roma||Best Actress||Nominated|||
|Most Promising Performer||Nominated|
|2018||Gotham Independent Film Awards||Roma||Breakthrough Actor||Nominated|||
|2019||Academy Awards||Roma||Best Actress||Pending|||
|2019||Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Roma||Best Actress||Nominated|||
|Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|2019||Austin Film Critics Association||Roma||Breakthrough Artist Award||Pending|||
|2019||Critics' Choice Awards||Roma||Best Actress||Nominated|||
|2019||Georgia Film Critics Association||Roma||Best Actress||Nominated|||
|2019||Satellite Awards||Roma||Best Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama||Nominated|||
- AlloCine. "Yalitza Aparicio". AlloCiné. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- Sippell, Margeaux. "First-Time Actress Yalitza Aparicio on How She Found 'Roma'". Variety. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Justa, La Tia. "Yalitza Es Maestra Y Su Mejor Enseñanza Es La Humilidad". La Tia Justa. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Rivera, Guillermo. "Yalitza Aparicio: 'Me dijeron que por ser mujer indígena no podía seguir adelante'". mexico.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Yalitza Aparicio, de hacer piñatas a actriz en Hollywood". El Universal (in Spanish). 26 November 2018. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- Quiroz, Brenda (2018-12-18). "10 cosas que no sabías de Yalitza Aparicio, la mejor actriz del 2018". Wapa (in Spanish). Retrieved 2018-12-22.
- Wilkinson, Alissa (2018-12-14). "Roma's Yalitza Aparicio had never acted before. Now she's in one of the year's buzziest films". Vox.
- "Yalitza Aparicio: An Indigenous Mexican Woman Captivates Hollywood". VOA News. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Aguilar, Carlos (6 December 2018). "Children of Women: Yalitza Aparicio and Marina de Tavira's Trip to "Roma"". FLOOD. Retrieved 2018-12-22.
- Wilkinson, Alissa (2018-11-21). "Roma's Yalitza Aparicio had never acted before. Now she's in one of the year's buzziest films". Vox. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- "Oscars: Nominations List". The Hollywood Reporter. January 22, 2019. Retrieved January 22, 2019.
- "2018 Chicago Film Critics Association Awards". Chicago Film Critics Association. 8 December 2018. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Johnson, Zach (10 December 2018). "Critics' Choice Awards 2019: The Complete List of Nominations". E! News. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Grossman, Lena (4 November 2018). "2018 Hollywood Film Awards: The Complete List of Winners". E! News. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary; Crist, Allison (26 November 2018). "'The Rider' Tops Gotham Awards; Full Winners List". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "2018 San Francisco Film Critics Circle Awards". San Francisco Film Critics Circle. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "2018 Nominees". International Press Academy. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- "The 2018 Women Film Critics Circle (WFCC) Winners". Next Best Picture. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Zacharek, Stephanie (15 November 2018). "The 10 Best Movie Performances of 2018". Time. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- Scott, A.O.; Morris, Wesley. "The Best Actors of 2018". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 December 2018.
- ""Roma" The Big Winner Among Chicago Film Critics". Chicago Film Critics Association.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (November 26, 2018). "Gotham Awards: A24 Sweeps With Five Wins, Including 'First Reformed,' 'Eighth Grade' (Full Winners List)". Variety.
- "Oscars 2019: Roma and The Favourite vie for glory with 10 nominations each". Guardian. 22 January 2019.
- "Alliance of Women Film Journalists (2019)". IMDb.
- "Austin Film Critics Association (2019)". IMDb.
- Tapley, Kristopher (January 13, 2019). "'Roma,' 'The Americans' and 'The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel' Win Top Critics' Choice Honors". Variety.
- "Georgia Film Critics Association (GAFCA) (2019)". IMDb.
- Johnson, Quendrith (January 3, 2019). "ROMA, A STAR IS BORN, Set for Top Honors at 23rd Satellite™ Awards". International Press Academy.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yalitza Aparicio Martínez.|