|Directed by||S.S. Rajamouli|
|Produced by||Urmila Gunnam
|Written by||M. Ratnam (Dialogue)|
|Screenplay by||S. S. Rajamouli|
|Story by||K. V. Vijayendra Prasad|
|Music by||M. M. Keeravani|
|Cinematography||K. K. Senthil Kumar|
|Edited by||Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao|
|Distributed by||Viswamitra Creations|
Yamadonga (English: Big Thief or Thief of Yama ) is a 2007 Telugu fantasy-action comedy film directed by S.S. Rajamouli and produced by Urmila Gangaraju and P. Chiranjeevi. The film stars Mohan Babu, Jr. NTR, Mamta Mohandas and Priyamani in the lead roles. The film released worldwide on 15 August 2007. Upon release, the film was block Buster at box office . It was also dubbed into Hindi as Lok Parlok. .
Raja (Jr. NTR), an orphan boy, is a thief. Mahi (Priyamani), young girl, falls in love with him. Raja manipulates her by gaining her sympathy. She gives him a necklace, which he throws away because it is worthless; however, it always comes back to him. Ten years later, Mahi's family treats her like a slave while they enjoy the money her grandfather left behind. Mahi waits for her "prince" to come rescue her. Raja is still a conman, but when he enters into debt of Dhanalakshmi (Mamta Mohandas), a pretty not-so-innocent lender, he flees. Meanwhile, Mahi's family want Mahi out of the way so they can inherit all of her money. They hire someone to kill her, only to find out that in the event of Mahi's death, all the money goes to charity. Raja reaches Yamaloka. He creates confusion in Yamaloka by stealing the Yamapasam since one in possession of Yamapasam becomes the King of Hell. Raja promises festivals and parties and to make Hell better than Heaven. Yama contests his claim. Narada (Naresh) enters the scene and proposes an election. Both Yama and Raja agree. Yama, along with Chitragupta (Brahmanandam), tries to get the Yamapasam, but fails. Raja wins the elections; however, Yama angrily calls him a human. Raja decides to use the Yamapasam to make Yama a human; however, the plan backfires when Yama ends up with the Yamapasam. After regaining power, Yama sends Raja back to earth. Raja finds out the cruelty that Mahi has suffered and decides to fight back against her cruel family. Raja steals a whip and thrashes her family with it, forcing them to become servants. Raja gets drunk and insults Yama again. This time, Yama decides that he and Chitragupta will enter Bhulokam (Earth). Yama disguises himself as Dhanalakshmi, and Chitragupta acts like her father. Yama attempts to create havoc in Raja's life. Raja finds out that Yama is on earth and decides to cleverly fight back. Soon, Raja finds himself fighting against the people who originally killed him. Yama sends his death whip after him and Raja tries to run from it. Soon, Raja and Yama meet face to face in an abandoned temple. Yama is there to collect Raja's soul. Raja begs for a few more minutes of life and apologizes to Yama for his sins and all he has said and done. Yama becomes sympathetic, but regretfully informs him that he cannot call back the death whip. Raja fights his enemies and is close to death, when suddenly, the chain that followed him his whole life was revealed to have been blessed by Lord Vishnu himself, and it saves Raja's life. Raja and Mahi decide to live together and get married. The movie ends with Yama being caught by his wife (Kushboo).
- Jr NTR as Raja
- Mamta Mohandas as Dhanalakshmi
- Mohan Babu as Yama Dharma Raja
- Priyamani as Maheshwari aka Mahi
- Kushboo as Yama's wife
- Ali as Sathi
- Brahmanandam as Chitra Gupta
- Navneet Kaur as Rambha (Guest appearance in a song)
- Preeti Jhangiani as Urvasi (Guest appearance in a song)
- Archana as Menaka (Guest appearance in a song)
- Rambha as Guest appearance in song "Nachore"
- MS Narayana
- Jaya Prakash Reddy as Maheshwari's father-in-law
- Siva Parvathi as Maheshwari's mother-in-law
- Raghubabu as Maheshwari's father-in-law's son
- Rajiv Kanakala as Indra
- Ranganath as Maheshwari's grandfather
- Naresh as Narada
- Bharani as Varuna Deva
- Narsing Yadav as a guard in Yama's palace
- Narendra Jha
Oneindia.in described as "The film is a visual treat for all ages and classes. Rajamouli has done an excellent job molding NTR Jr's character in the film much like his grandfather's and also for bringing NTR back on the screen in an animated form. NTR Jr's overall performance and his dialogue delivery are a joy to watch. Mohanbabu playing 'Yama' once again proved to be the versatile actor that he is".
Sify gave an "average" verdict explained "This socio-fantasy film works, thanks to the new look of NTR and enigmatic performance of Mohan Babu. The songs and background score of MM Keeravani, the technical aspects and entertainer quotient in the first half make the film watchable". jeevi of idlebrain gave 3/5 stars said "First half of the film is entertaining. The second half should have been better. The plus points of the film are Mohan Babu, NTR, sets, cinematography and music. On the flip side, the screenplay of the film is not gripping in second half (after NTR returns to earth). The runtime of the film is pretty lengthy (3.05 hours)".
The film become Block Buster and ran 50-days in 405 centers it was all time record still and completed a 100-day run in 92 centres and become top Telugu films of the year 2007 and jr ntr got big success after simhadri.
The music was composed by M. M. Keeravani.
|1||"Nuvvu Muttukunte"||Ranjith, Pranavi||3:52||Ananta Sriram|
|2||"Rabbaru Gajulu"||Daler Mehndi||5:19||Ananta Sriram|
|3||"Olammi Tikkareginda"||Jr. NTR, Mamta Mohandas||4:33||Bhuvanachandra|
|4||"Nachore Nachore"||Deepu, Ganga||4:20||Bhuvanachandra|
|5||"Noonogameesoludu"||M. M. Keeravani, Sunitha Upadrashta||5:00||Ananta Sriram|
|6||"Young Yama"||Shankar Mahadevan, Mano, M. M. Keeravani, Pranavi||5:01||Ananta Sriram|
|8||"Chalachallagali"||M. M. Keeravani, Sangeetha||1:01||Bhuvanachandra|
|9||"Bambham Chumbanala"||Mano, Pranavi||1:48||Bhuvanachandra|
- Best Editor – Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao
- Best Makeup Artist – Nalla Seenu
- Best Costume Designer – Ramaa Rajamouli
- Nandi Award for Best Special Effects – Kamal Kannan
- Filmfare Awards 2008
- CineMAA Awards 2008
- Best Actor – Jr NTR
The DVD version of the film was released on 29 February 2008. This DVD release was distributed by Tolly2Holly all around the world, but for India. It is available in 16:9 Anamorphic widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, progressive 24 FPS, widescreen and NTSC format.
- Actress Priyamani slipped while walking on the stones and got her ankle sprained with minor bleeding injury during shooting.
- Late actor Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao plays a small role in the film through graphics.
- Kirat Bhattal and Meera Chopra rejected the role played by Priya Mani.
- This movie was also dubbed into Hindi language as well, named Lok Parlok.
- This movie was dubbed into Oriya as Yamraja.
- "Box-Office: 'Yamadonga' Topped and Rest Dropped". greatandhra. Retrieved 19 August 2007.
- "Yamadonga – Review". Oneindia.in. Retrieved 16 August 2007.
- "Yamadonga Review".
- "Yamadonga". idlebrain. Retrieved 15 August 2007.
- "Top five Telugu films of 2007". Rediff.
- "Nandi awards 2007 announced". idlebrain. Retrieved 12 January 2008.
- "Yamadonga DVD Info". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "Yamadonga DTS". Retrieved 24 March 2008.
- "indiaglitz.com". Priyamani injured in shooting. Retrieved 16 January 2007.
- "nonstopcinema.com". Soundarya in NTR-Rajamouli's Yamadonga!. Archived from the original on 11 January 2007. Retrieved 16 January 2007.