|Elevation||650 m (2,129 ft)|
|Population (2011 est.)|
The city is located in Yambio County, Gbudwe State, in southwestern South Sudan, close to the International border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Its location lies approximately 444 kilometres (276 mi), by road, west of Juba, the largest city in South Sudan and the capital of that country.
Yambio is the headquarters of Yambio County, in which it lies. It is also the capital city of Western Equatoria State, one of the 10 states that constitute the Republic of South Sudan. Following the attainment of independence by South Sudan in 2011, the main current concerns in Yambio include the following:
- Resettlement of new South Sudanese returnees especially from the Republic of Sudan, but also from other countries
- Security enhancement against the marauding Ugandan rebels known as the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), who have terrorised the region for the past decade or so.
- Ensuring that the old residents and new returnees have enough food, now and in the future.
Population and demographics
In 1983, the population of Yambio was estimated at approximately 24,900, during the Sudanese national census conducted that year. In 2010, it was estimated that the town's population had risen to about 31,700 people. In 2011, another source estimated the population of the town at about 40,400. The table below summarises the population trends of the town, from all sources, for the last thirty (30) years. See table below:
A small road leads directly north out of town to a small town in South Sudan, called Ri Rangu. However, the main thoroughfare through town is Highway A44. A44-East leads to Nzara, South Sudan and to the town of Ezo, South Sudan, at the border with the Central African Republic. Highway A44-East joins Highway A43 which goes south to Juba, the capital city of the country, or north to Rumbek, the capital of Lakes State, in the Bahr el Ghazal Region of the country. Another smaller road comes off of A44-East, and goes south-east to Yei, South Sudan, another town in Western Equatoria State. Yambio is also served by Yambio Airport.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located in Yambio or near the city limits:
- The offices of Yambio City Council
- The headquarters of Yambio County
- The headquarters of Western Equatoria State
- Yambio Airport - A civilian airport
- A branch of Equity Bank (South Sudan) - A licensed commercial bank
Artist or Musician in Yambio City Emmy Robert, Emmy.J.Yoere, DJ. CentEmmy Robert
- "Outgoing police spokesman to be Gbudwe State police commissioner". Radio Tamazuj. 8 March 2016. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Map Showing Yambio And Juba With Distance Marker
- Immediate Concerns In Yambio In 2011
- Population Estimates For Yambio (1983 - 2010)
- Estimated Population of Yambio In 2011
- Location of Yambio Airport