Gautam in 2018
|Occupation||Film actress, model|
|Family||Surilie Gautam (younger sister)|
Yami Gautam (born 28 November 1988) is an Indian film actress and model who predominantly appears in Hindi films. She has also appeared in a few Telugu, Kannada, Punjabi, Malayalam and Tamil films. In addition to acting, she is a prominent celebrity endorser for brands and products.
In 2012, Gautam made her Bollywood debut with the film Vicky Donor. Upon release, the film was a critical and commercial success, and Gautam gained positive reviews and several nominations for her performance.
Gautam then starred as a strong wife in the action thriller Action Jackson (2014), a young woman in the crime thriller Badlapur (2015), a high-school girl in the romance Sanam Re (2016), a blind woman in the romantic thriller Kaabil (2017) and a lawyer in the social-problem film Batti Gul Meter Chalu (2018). Her highest-grossing release came with the action thriller Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019), which ranks among the highest-grossing films of all time.
Early life and background
Yami Gautam was born in a Hindu family in Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh and was brought up in Chandigarh. Her father Mukesh Gautam is a Punjabi film director. Her mother is Anjali Gautam. Yami has a younger sister Surilie Gautam, who made her big screen debut with the Punjabi film Power Cut. She did her regular schooling, and later entered college to pursue a graduate degree in law honours. She had aspired to join Indian Administrative Services (IAS) as a young girl, but at the age of 20, Yami decided to start her acting career. Though she was pursuing studies in Law Honors (first-year PU Student of law), she left full-time studies for acting. Recently, she has been doing her part-time graduation from Mumbai. Yami is fond of reading, interior decoration and listening to music.
Gautam was twenty when she moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in movies. She made her television debut with Chand Ke Paar Chalo, which was followed by Raajkumar Aaryyan. Following this, she played her most notable role in Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam, which aired on Colors. Furthermore, she participated in the reality shows Meethi Choori No 1 and Kitchen Champion Season 1.
Film career (2010–present)
Gautam later made her Bollywood debut with Vicky Donor, in which she starred opposite Ayushmann Khurrana. She played the role of the Bengali girl Ashima Roy, a girl who falls in love with a Punjabi boy with a past. Despite its small budget, the movie became a major commercial success and received critical appreciation.
Gautam received appreciation for her performance. Taran Adarsh writes: "Yami Gautam makes an imposing debut. She adds enormous value to the movie by her act, screen presence and striking looks. She's truly admirable towards the latter part of the film." Madhureeta Mukherjee adds that Gautam "is a sheer delight to watch, emoting effortlessly." She made her Telugu debut with the 2011 film Nuvvila, directed by Ravi Babu. She signed for her second film in Kollywood with Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum opposite Jai. Her second Hindi film was Eeshwar Nivas's Total Siyapaa, opposite Ali Zafar, produced by Reliance Entertainment and Neeraj Pandey, which was released in 2014.
Gautam has completed filming for Prabhu Deva's Action Jackson opposite Ajay Devgan and for Sriram Raghavan's Badlapur opposite Varun Dhawan. Apart from those, she is busy in shooting the Tamil film Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum and a Telugu film Courier Boy Kalyan. In 2016, she acted in Divya Khosla Kumar's romantic film Sanam Re.
She also acted in the romantic film Junooniyat. In February 2016, she signed Sanjay Gupta's revenge drama Kaabil, produced by Rakesh Roshan, in which she co-starred opposite Hrithik Roshan. The film which released in January 2017 received positive reviews from critics and was a box office success.
In January 2019, she along with Vicky Kaushal starred in the film Uri: The Surgical Strike made a huge box office collection of ₹70.94 Crore at the opening week and went on to collect ₹160.78 Crore till 18th day of its release. The film is set to become the 1st Blockbuster Hindi Movie of 2019
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Ashima Roy||Hindi|
|Courier Boy Kalyan||Kavya||Telugu|
|Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum||Kavya||Tamil|
|Sarkar 3||Annu Karkare||Hindi
|2018||Batti Gul Meter Chalu||Advocate Gulnaar Rizvi||Hindi|
|2019||Uri: The Surgical Strike||Pallavi Sharma/Jasmine Almeida|
|2008||Chand Ke Paar Chalo||Sana||NDTV Imagine|
|Raajkumar Aaryyan||Rajkumari Bhairvi||NDTV Imagine|
|2009||Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam||Leher Mathur Vajpayee||Colors|
|2010||Meethi Choori No 1||Contestant||Imagine TV|
|Kitchen Champion Season 1||Colors|
|2013||CID - Episode 642 - Kabarwali Ladki||Ananya||Sony TV|
Awards and nominations
|2012||5th Boroplus Gold Awards||Rising Film Stars From TV||Vicky Donor||Won|
|Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Fresh Entry of the Year||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Debut Actor (Male/Female)||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Won|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Female||Nominated|
|IIFA Awards||Star Debut of the Year – Female||Won|
|2017||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Versatile Beauty of the Year Award||N/A||Nominated|
|Lux Golden Rose Awards||Break Through Performer Of The Year Award||Kaabil||Nominated|
- 2013: iTimes's No. 12 Most Desirable Woman of 2012.
- "I have had no affair in my life so far: Yaami Gautam — The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami "Gautam gets her own nest"".
- "Busy Birthday for Yami – IANS".
- "Yami Gautam looks like a dream at Kaabil promotion".
- "Vicky Donor actress Yami Gautam believes in 'breaking the mould' of a Hindi film heroine". 31 December 2018. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Vicky Donor is a HIT" Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Vicky Donor gets very good reviews from film critics" as well as nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut. Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Yami Gautam: There is a reason why people think Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan are intelligent". bollywoodlife.com.
- "Mother day".
- "Yami Gautam's sister to make her debut". Mid-day.com. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami Gautam's sister to marry Jaspal Bhatti's son – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Subhash K Jha & VICKEY LALWANI 26 October 2012, 10.05AM IST (26 October 2012). "Jaspal Bhatti died a day before son's debut film release – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Gautam, Yami. "Yami's Personal Life". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Gautam, Yami. "Gautam's Biography". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Yummylicious. Filmfare. 20 June 2012
- "First look: Chand Ke Paar Chalo". rediff.com. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Come, fall in love". Screen. 12 February 2010. Archived from the original on 13 February 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Suresh, Sunayana. "Sandalwood's hot for TV stars". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Ayushmann's film debut as Sperm Donor". Times of India. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Vicky Donor (2012) Movie Review". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta. "Vicky Donor movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "I am a director's actor: Yaami Gautam — Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami Gautam Excited To Begin Shooting With Ajay Devgn". The Times of India.
- "Yami Gautam begins shooting for 'Junooniat'". Deccan Chronicle. 30 November 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2014.
- "Yami Gautam to star opposite Hrithik Roshan in Sanjay Gupta's Kaabil"
- "Yami Gautam's thank you note makes Hrithik Roshan emotional". TOI. 8 February 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "Yami Gautam's post on Kaabil leaves Hrithik Roshan teary-eyed". 25 January 2017.
- "dna". dna. 17 October 2016.
- "After "Katrina and Aishwarya, Yami joins Sarkar bandwagon"".
- "Yami "Gautam starts shooting 'Sarkar 3'"".
- "Yami "Gautam: 'Sarkar 3' was a great opportunity for me as a performer"".
- "Confirmed! It's Yami Gautam opposite Shahid Kapoor in Batti Gul Meter Chalu"
- "Bollywood Box Office Collection 2019: Budget, Profit, Verdict Hit or Flop". www.bollywoodlatestforu.com.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami of VICKY DONOR bag Gold Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Archived from the original on 30 November 2012. Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Yaami Gautam—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013" Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "TOIFA 2013 nominations". Times of India. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "IIFA Awards 2013: The winners are finally here!". Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Times Most Desirable Women 2012 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yami Gautam.|