at the Vogue Beauty Awards 2013
28 November 1988 |
Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh, India
|Relatives||Mukesh Gautam (father)
Surilie Gautam (sister)
Yami Gautam (born 28 November 1988) is an Indian actress who works in Hindi movies as well as in the films of other Indian languages including Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Punjabi and Malayalam. She is the daughter of director Mukesh Gautam and sister of actress Surilie Gautam.
Gautam's initial appearances were on Indian television commercials and soap operas such as Chand Ke Paar Chalo (2008), Raajkumar Aaryyan (2008), Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam (2009) and Meethi Choori No 1 (2010).
In 2010, she made her cinematic debut with Kannada film Ullasa Utsaha, co-starring Ganesh. In 2012, Gautam made her Bollywood debut in Shoojit Sircar's romantic comedy Vicky Donor, which touched on the topic of sperm donation. Upon release, the film was a critical and commercial success, and Gautam gained positive reviews for her performance.
Yami Gautam was born in Bilaspur, Himachal Pradesh in a Pahari-Punjabi family and was brought up in Chandigarh. Her father, Mukesh Gautam, is a Punjabi film director. Yami has a sister, Surilie Gautam who made her big screen debut with Punjabi film Power Cut. She did her regular schooling and later joined college for pursuing a graduate degree in law honours. She had aspired to join Indian Administrative Services (IAS) as a young girl, but at the age of 20, Yami decided to start her acting career. As she was pursuing Studies in Law Honors (first-year PU Student of the Law), but she left full-time studies for acting. Recently, she is doing her part-time Graduation from Mumbai. Yami is fond of reading, interior decoration and listening to music.
Gautam was twenty when she moved to Mumbai to pursue a career in movies. She made her television debut with Chand Ke Paar Chalo, which was followed by Raajkumar Aaryyan. Following this, she played her most notable role in Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam, which aired on Colors. Furthermore, she participated in the reality shows Meethi Choori No 1 and Kitchen Champion Season 1. Gautam made her film debut in Kannada film Ullasa Utsaha. Whilst the film failed at the box office, Gautam received positive reviews for her performance.
Gautam later made her Bollywood debut with Vicky Donor, in which she starred opposite Ayushmann Khurrana. She played the role of Bengali girl Ashima Roy, a girl who falls in love with a Punjabi boy with a past. Despite its small budget, the movie became a major commercial success and received critical appreciation. Gautam received appreciation for her performance. Taran Adarsh writes "Yami Gautam makes an imposing debut. She adds enormous value to the movie by her act, screen presence and striking looks. She's truly admirable towards the latter part of the film." Madhureeta Mukherjee adds that Gautam "is a sheer delight to watch, emoting effortlessly." She made her Telugu debut with the 2011 film Nuvvila, directed by Ravi Babu. She signed her second film in Kollywood with Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum opposite Jai. Her second Hindi film was Eeshwar Nivas's Total Siyappa', opposite Pakistani actor-singer Ali Zafar produced by Reliance Entertainment and Neeraj Pandey, got released in 2014.
Gautam has completed filming for Prabhu Deva's Action Jackson opposite Ajay Devgan and Sriram Raghavan's Badlapur opposite Varun Dhawan. Apart from those, she is busy in shooting a Tamil film Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum, a Telugu film Courier Boy Kalyan. She is currently filming for Bhushan Kumar's Junooniat opposite Pulkit Samrat, and Shoojit Sircar's Agra Ka Daabra.
|2008||Chand Ke Paar Chalo||Sana||NDTV Imagine|
|2008||Raajkumar Aaryyan||Rajkumari Bhairvi||NDTV Imagine|
|2009||Yeh Pyar Na Hoga Kam||Leher Mathur Vajpayee||Colors|
|2010||Meethi Choori No 1||Contestant||Imagine TV|
|2010||Kitchen Champion Season 1||Contestant||Colors|
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2012||Vicky Donor||Ashima Roy||Hindi|
|2015||Courier Boy Kalyan||Kavya||Telugu|
|2016||Tamilselvanum Thaniyar Anjalum||Kavya||Tamil||Post-Production|
|2016||Untitled Hrithik Roshan's Project||TBA||Hindi||Pre-Production|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Vicky Donor||5th Boroplus Gold Awards||Rising Film Stars From TV||Won|
|Bhaskar Bollywood Awards||Fresh Entry of the Year||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite Debut Actor (Male/Female)||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Won|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Won|
|Stardust Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Female||Nominated|
|IIFA Awards||Star Debut of the Year – Female||Won|
- 2013: iTimes's No. 12 Most Desirable Woman of 2012.
- "I have had no affair in my life so far: Yaami Gautam — The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Busy Birthday for Yami – IANS".
- "Vicky Donor is a HIT" Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Vicky Donor gets very good reviews from film critics" as well as nomination for Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut.Retrieved 26 January 2013
- "Yami Gautam: There is a reason why people think Aamir Khan, Shahrukh Khan are intelligent". bollywoodlife.com.
- "Yami Gautam's sister to make her debut". Mid-day.com. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami Gautam's sister to marry Jaspal Bhatti's son – Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 25 October 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Subhash K Jha & VICKEY LALWANI 26 October 2012, 10.05AM IST (26 October 2012). "Jaspal Bhatti died a day before son's debut film release – Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Gautam, Yami. "Yami's Personal Life". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Gautam, Yami. "Gautam's Biography". Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Yummylicious. Filmfare. 20 June 2012
- "First look: Chand Ke Paar Chalo". rediff.com. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Come, fall in love". Screen. 12 February 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.[dead link]
- Suresh, Sunayana. "Sandalwood's hot for TV stars". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Ayushmann's film debut as Sperm Donor". Times of India. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Vicky Donor (2012) Movie Review". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Mukherjee, Madhureeta. "Vicky Donor movie review". The Times of India. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "I am a director's actor: Yaami Gautam — Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 7 May 2013. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Yami Gautam Excited To Begin Shooting With Ajay Devgn". The Times of India.
- "Yami to star in Agra Ka Dabra". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Yami Gautam begins shooting for 'Junooniat'". Deccan Chronicle. November 30, 2014. Retrieved November 30, 2014.
- "Gautham Menon next movie releasing on September 11th". indiaglitz.com.
- "Last schedule of Yami Gautam’s ‘Sanam Re’ to be shot in Calgary". Indian Express. August 10, 2015. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Sanam "Sanam Re Trailer: Yami Gautam-Pulkit Samrat's love story will leave you spellbound". International Business Times, India Edition. 17 December 2015.
- "Hrithik "Hrithik Roshan to romance Yami Gautam in his next; Anushka Sharma too busy for the 'Mohenjo Daro' actor?". International Business Times, India Edition. 6 January 2016.
- "Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami of VICKY DONOR bag Gold Awards". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Newcomers Nominations: Fresh Entry of the Year". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Kumar, Ravi. "People's Choice Awards 2012 Nominees". Retrieved 27 January 2012.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "ETC Bollywood Business Awards 2012 / 2013 – Nominations". Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Yaami Gautam—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours". Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013" Retrieved 27 January 2013
- "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?". Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "TOIFA 2013 nominations". Times of India. 7 February 2013. Retrieved 30 April 2013.
- "IIFA Awards 2013: The winners are finally here!". Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Times Most Desirable Women 2012 – Results". ITimes. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yami Gautam.|