Yamla Pagla Deewana 2
|Yamla Pagla Deewana 2|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sangeeth Sivan|
|Screenplay by||Jasvinder Bath|
|Story by||Lynda Deol|
Sachin Gupta (1 song)
Yash Raj Films|
Sunny Sounds Pvt. Ltd.
YPD Films Ltd UK
|Box office||₹48.35 crore|
Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 (also known as YPD2) is a 2013 Bollywood action comedy film directed by Sangeeth Sivan. It is a sequel to the 2011 hit film, Yamla Pagla Deewana and the second installment of Yamla Pagla Deewana film series. It features Dharmendra, Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol from the previous film, with Neha Sharma and Kristina Akheeva as the female leads.
The film's theatrical trailer was released on 27 March 2013 on YouTube, and its music rights were acquired by Yash Raj Films. Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 was released on 7 June 2013, receiving mixed-to-negative reviews. With an average opening, it was declared "Flop" at the box office.
In Varanasi, Dharam Dhillon (Dharmendra) and his son Gajodhar—or Prem (Bobby Deol)—are conning people into thinking that Dharam is a guru named Yamla Baba. When Yograj Khanna (Annu Kapoor) comes from England to meet Dharam, Dharam notices Khanna's diamond rings. Dharam and Gajodhar pretend to own a company, Oberoi, Oberoi & Oberoi. Impressed, Yograj begins to consider a match for his daughter Suman (Neha Sharma). Suman falls in love with Gajodhar, and a marriage is arranged in England when Dharam's older son Paramveer (Sunny Deol)—a loan-recovery agent for a bank—meets Khanna.
Paramveer appears at Khanna's club as Joginder (Dude) Armstrong (Anupam Kher) arrives to take it over, and beats up Armstrong's flunkies and goons. Grateful, Khanna hires him as his manager. Paramveer then finds Dharam and Gajodhar trying to swindle his boss.
Dharam and Gajodhar go to a house occupied by an orangutan, Einstein, whose absent owner (a disciple of Yamla Baba) has allowed them to stay there. The next day they go to Khanna's house for Gajodhar and Suman's engagement party, at which Paramveer is a guest. Paramveer meets art-gallery employee Reet (Kristina), with whom he falls in love. After Suman and Gajodhar are engaged, Gajodhar and Dharam discover that Reet (not Suman) is Khanna's daughter.
Although Gajodhar woos Reet, she is interested in Paramveer. Dharam claims to have another child, Prem's twin Q (Deol). When Q meets the Khannas he claims to be a painter, which attracts Reet.
Q unsuccessfully tries to produce a painting. During the night Einstein paints a beautiful picture, which Q passes off as his own. The painting becomes famous, and will be sold at auction. Paramveer makes changes to Khanna's nightclub, and Khanna wants Q to be his guest of honor. At the party, Reet asks Paramveer how he feels about her. Drunk, he tries to reveal Q's identity when he is distracted by Armstrong's goons. The next morning Reet goes to Paramveer's house but leaves, heartbroken, when she sees a girl sleeping with him.
Preparations for Prem and Suman's marriage are underway. Reet agrees to marry Q, and Paramveer wants a joint wedding. Dharam tries to convince Suman that Prem is impotent, and anyone who marries him will die in seven months. Despite this, Suman tells Prem that she loves him and Prem falls in love with her. When he goes to tell the truth to the Khannas, Armstrong's goons kidnap him, Dharam and the Khannas. Prem reveals the truth, Param saves everyone from the goons and proposes to Reet (which she accepts), and the film ends happily.
- Dharmendra as Dharam Singh Dhillon, Dharam Oberoi and Yamla Baba; despite his reformation in the previous film, he is again a goon.
- Sunny Deol as Paramveer Singh Dhillon; despite his marriage and Canadian residency in the previous film, he is now a single resident of the United Kingdom.
- Bobby Deol as Gajodhar Singh, Prem Oberoi and Q Oberoi; despite his engagement to Saheba in the previous film, he is now single.
- Neha Sharma as Suman Khanna
- Kristina Akheeva as Reet Khanna
- Anupam Kher as Joginder (Dude G.) Armstrong
- Annu Kapoor as Yograj Khanna
- Johnny Lever as Bunty
- Sucheta Khanna as Babli
- Firoz Khan as a Sikh inspector in London (credited as Arjun)
|Yamla Pagla Deewana 2|
|Soundtrack album by Sharib Sabri, Toshi Sabri|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Yamla Pagla Deewana"||Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan, Rahul Seth, Sanchita Bhattyacharya||3:54|
|2.||"Changli Hai Changli Hai"||Mika Singh, Shreya Ghoshal||3:29|
|3.||"Suit Tera Laal Rang Da"||Sonu Nigam, Sunidhi Chauhan||4:22|
|4.||"Main Taan Aidaan Hi Nachna"||Diljit Dosanjh, Dharmendra, Sunny Deol, Bobby Deol, Karan Deol, Sachin Gupta||3:34|
|5.||"Jatt Yamla Pagla Ho Gaya"||Mika Singh, Suzanne D'Mello||2:56|
|6.||"Sadi Daru Da Pani" (YPD version)||Toshi Sabri, Sanchita Bhattyacharya, Rahul Seth||3:57|
|7.||"Jatt Yamla Pagla Ho Gaya" (version)||Sharib Sabri, Suzanne D'Mello||2:57|
|8.||"YPD2 - Mash Up"||Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan, Sonu Nigam, Mika Singh, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal||3:10|
A sequel to Yamla Pagla Deewana was announced after the success of the original, and it began filming in September 2012. The UK casting coordinator was Sany Supra, founder and CEO of Crown Global Agency.
Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 was produced by Dharmendra and his production company, YPD Films UK, and distributed by Sunny Sounds. Online promotion was by Yash Raj Films, with its trailer and song promos uploaded to the YRF YouTube channel.
After the success of Yamla Pagla Deewana, Dharmendra announced a sequel. When the original director Samir Karnik opted out of the sequel, Sangeeth Sivan agreed to write and direct. Sunny Deol's son, Rocky, was assistant director. In January 2013 shooting began in Mandav, Maheshwar and Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 received negative reviews, with Sukanya Verma of rediff.com calling it an unimaginative, tedious film. Karan Anshuman rated the film 1.5 out of 5, and Saibal Chaterjee of NDTV gave it a rating of 2.0 out of 5. A FirstPost.com reviewer said, "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 will give you a migraine". IBN Live gave the film two out of five stars: "Rarely do we see contemporary actors giving tribute to each other. The stature of Salman Khan is celebrated in #YPD2. It's a pity the jokes run out faster than your popcorn does."
Bollywood Life gave it three out of five stars: "Dharmendra charms, Sunny Deol roars, Bobby Deol entertains! As predicted by the movie's makers, trade pundits and us, the dumdaar Deol family has certainly doubled up the magic this time. We are impressed!" The Times of India gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and said, "On the upside, a very attractive Sunny stays this movie's brave heart." Koimoi gave it two out of five stars: "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 is loaded with excerpts from Dabangg Khan's demeanor and mannerisms. Plus, there is an interesting Orangutan’s revelry which does tickle you right!" Filmfare gave it four out of five stars: "YPD2 gets two things right. The first is Sunny Deol's performance. He's a Super Sardar in the movie. He's continuing where he left off in Border, Gadar and YPD. He can beat up an army all alone. Only this time he has a supersonic roar, he massacres a whole legion of Ninjas, battles gigantic Sumo wrestlers and lifts a goddamn truck with one hand. The self-depreciating humour and parody with Sunny is hilarious. The other good thing is the use of a painting as a humour motif. Everyone seems to break into tears of disbelief and awe on seeing this painting. Funny thing is, it's painted by the man in the monkey suit, while he's piss drunk and has used his bum as a paint brush."
Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 had an average gross abroad during its first weekend. In the UK the film earned ₹15 million, and ₹12.8 million in North America. In the UAE and on the GCC circuit,[clarification needed] it grossed ₹9,809,000. In Australia, the film earned ₹32.8 million over its first weekend. In New Zealand it earned ₹R6 million, and ₹919,000 in Fiji.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 - Movie - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 finally gets going". 2 September 2012. Ndtv. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana songs". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- Roy, Gitanjali. "Sunny Deol's son Karan gives first clap for Yamla Pagla Deewana 2". Ndtv. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Batra, Ankur (11 September 2012). "Sunny Deol's son turns to direction". Times of India. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- The author has posted comments on this article (2013-01-18). "Sangeeth Sivan shoots Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 in MP - The Times of India". M.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 2015-11-30.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 will give you a migraine". First Post. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "'Yamla Pagla Deewana 2' Tweet Review: First day, first shows". IBN Live.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 movie review: Dharmendra charms, Sunny Deol roars, Bobby Deol entertains!". Bollywood Life. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2 Movie Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Movie Review: Yamla Pagla Deewana 2". Filmfare. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Yamla Pagla Deewana 2: 1st Weekend Overseas Box Office Collections". Koimoi.com Team. Retrieved 11 June 2013.