Yampi Sound is a part of the Indian Ocean off the coast of northwestern Australia, located between King Sound and Collier Bay. The islands of the Buccaneer Archipelago, located in the sound, contain rich silver and iron ore deposits. The high grade iron ore deposits has been mined in the Sound since the 1950s. A copper mine also operated at Coppermine Creek on the mainland side of the sound.
Many creeks discharge directly into the sound including Coppermine Creek, Crocodile Creek, Silvergull Creek and Dogleg Creek.
The sound contains many islands of the Buccaneer Archipelago the largest being Koolan Island; others include: Cockatoo Island, Irvine Island, Bathurst Island, Finch Islands, Hidden Island, Baylis Islands and Iron Islands.
- "Yampi Sound - Aus Chart 40" (PDF). 2009. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 21, 2008. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "AusAnthrop Australian Aboriginal tribal database". 2012. Retrieved 2012-05-12.
- "Derby - Beyond the Boabs - Buccaneer Archipelago". 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "Kimberley Society Talks 1995". 1995. Archived from the original on February 2, 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-03.
- "Yampi Sound Training Area". Australian defence facilities. Nautilus Institute. Retrieved 23 December 2010.
|This article about a location in Western Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|