Yamuna Expressway in red
|Maintained by Yamuna Expressway Authority|
|Length||165.537 km (102.860 mi)|
|Existed||9 August 2012–present|
Yamuna Expressway or Taj Expressway is a 6-lane (extendable to 8 lanes), 165 km long, access controlled expressway, connecting Greater Noida with Agra in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of India's longest six-lane controlled-access expressway stretches. The total project cost was ₹128.39 billion (US$1.9 billion).
The expressway project was inaugurated on 9 August 2012 by the then Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. The project was started to decongest the older Delhi-Agra (NH 2) or Mathura Road which is already over congested.
The expressway starts from Greater Noida and ends at Kuberpur on NH-2 towards Kanpur. In addition, a total of 13 service roads of about 168 km have been built for local commuters to access the expressway. Yamuna Expressway will be connected with Eastern Peripheral Expressway via an interchange which is being built near Jaganpura –Afzalpur village at Yamuna Expressway in Gautam Budh Nagar district.
It was conceived with the idea of reducing the travel time between Delhi and Agra. But the project could not start because of a change of government in the state in 2003 and also it wasn't financially viable back in 2003. The project was reactivated in 2007 when Mayawati regained power and was renamed Yamuna Expressway.
Yamuna Expressway Project was implemented by Jaypee Group. In May 2012, Jaypee Group informed state government officials that construction of the expressway had been completed. The Yamuna Expressway was formally inaugurated on 9 August 2012 by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, via video-conference from Lucknow, about two years behind of its original target completion date.
Landing of Fighter jets
In a first for military aviation in India, Indian Air Force on May 21, 2015 successfully landed a French Dassault Mirage-2000 on the Yamuna Expressway near Raya village, Mathura, at about 6.40 am. The drill was part of more elaborate trials to see how many other highways can be used for emergency landing of defence aircraft. This first ever road landing by the IAF came close to another test landing by two Mirage-2000 aircraft on an airstrip in Akhilesh Yadav's Saifai village in Etawah. The Uttar Pradesh government had given a green signal on May 11 to convert a 3 km stretch of the upcoming Agra-Lucknow Expressway into a full-fledged road runway to the air force. Just as the Saifai landings, the IAF kept the operation secret and only took the authorities concerned on board. The IAF had prohibited all kinds of photography—still or video and deployed its photographers and videographers. The Central Air Command, in a meeting with UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav on Monday, had made a formal presentation to the state government about converting a 3 km straight stretch of the upcoming Agra-Lucknow expressway into India's first road runway.
- Length - 165 km (103 mi)
- Right of Way - 100 m (109 yd)
- Number of Lanes - 6 lanes (extendable to 8 lanes)
- Type of Pavement - Rigid (Concrete)
- Maximum Axle Load (Design) - 20 tonnes (22 short tons; 20 long tons)
- Interchange - 7
- Main Toll Plaza - 5
- Toll Plaza on Interchange Loop - 7
- Underpass - 35
- Railway Over Bridge - 1
- Major Bridge - 1
- Minor Bridge - 42
- Cart Track Crossing - 68
- Culverts - N/A
- Vehicular Underpasses - 70
- Maximum Axle Load (Design) -
The Yamuna Expressway has SOS booths along the route besides a toll free helpline. CCTV cameras are installed every 5 km (3.1 mi) along the expressway for safety and accident assistance; mobile radars to monitor compliance with minimum and maximum speed limits; and one highway patrol every 25 km (16 mi). The Expressway is expected to be used by over 100,000 vehicles every day, and reduce travel times between Greater Noida and Agra from 4 hours to 1 hour 40 minutes. Petrol pump at the halfway point at Tappal is open. Tappal 60 km (37 mi) from Noida Sec. 37 i.e. botanical garden or Noida city center.
The Expressway was developed in three phases:
- Phase I: Expressway Stretch between Greater Noida & proposed Taj International Aviation Hub (near village Jewar on the southern tip of Dist. Gautam Budh Nagar).
- Phase II: Expressway Stretch between proposed Taj International Aviation Hub and an intermediate destination between proposed Taj International Aviation Hub & Agra.
- Phase III: Expressway Stretch between intermediate destination & Agra.
The speed limit on the expressway is 100 km/h (62 mph) for vehicles. The right most lane on the expressway is reserved for overtaking only.
Upcoming Residential Project Yamuna Expressway has become most preferred for Builders and developers. Many reputed builders are bringing residential project at Yamuna Expressway. To inject new life into the real estate market, Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority has come up with the lucrative affordable housing projects. Under the new subvention scheme YEIDA has launched 200 small ticket size apartments and 80 large size residential flats.
Toll will be charged at three points - at 38 km (24 mi), 95 km (59 mi) and 150 km (93.2 mi) from Greater Noida. Cars and jeeps will be charged ₹2.50 /km (1.55 /mi) and mini-buses ₹3.85 /km (2.39 /mi) as toll. Buses and Trucks will pay ₹7.85 /km (4.88 /mi). Charges for heavy vehicles will be ₹11.94 /km (7.419 /mi). A summary table of toll rates is as below:
|Vehicle Category||Till Jewar Exit||Till Mathura Exit||Till Agra Exit||For Round Trip|
|7+ axle Vehicle||740||1685||2550||4080|
All figures in Indian Rupees.
- Round trip charges are 1.6 times the one way toll within 24 hours.
- Special discounts for vehicles using the expressway more than 19 times in a month.
A 302 km (188 mi) Agra Lucknow Expressway Project is completed with estimated budget of ₹15,000 crore extends YEA to Lucknow enabling fast transit. Agra-Lucknow Expressway will extends to the proposed Sanjay Khan project of a theme park of seven cities. Yamuna Expressway linked to Agra-Lucknow Expressway through Agra Inner Ring Road Expressway 11.9 km (7.39 mi) which also shortens the distance and avoid heavy traffic of Agra, tourists can directly reach Taj Mahal.
Metro connectivity to Yamuna Expressway has got a green signal from the Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority (YEIDA). The metro rail will run from the proposed metro station at Pari Chowk till Yamuna Expressway Sector 18 and 20. These are the 1st inhabited sectors urbanized by the authority and at present are under construction.
- National Expressway 2 (India), Eastern Peripheral Expressway or KGP (Kundli-Ghaziabad-Palwal) is a road which bypasses Delhi on eastern side.
- Western Peripheral Expressway, a complementary road bypassing Delhi from western side, Kundli-Manesar-Palwal (KMP).
- Agra Lucknow Expressway 302 km (188 mi) long
- Delhi Noida Direct Flyway
- "Yamuna Expressway is ready, says Jaypee Infra". Business Line. 3 August 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- "Yamuna Expressway opens, one-way toll Rs 320, free ride till Aug 15". The Times of India. Times News Network. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2018.
- http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/yamunaexpressway/[unreliable source?]
- "Interchange at Yamuna Expressway to connect Eastern Peripheral Expressway".
- "Yamuna expressway to become operational this month". The Times of India. 7 April 2012.
- "Yamuna Expressway - Jaypee Infrastructure Annual Report 2011" (PDF).
- "Expressway ready: Jaypee team tells UP officials". 9 May 2012.
- "Yamuna e-way opens on Aug 9". The Times of India. 3 August 2012.
- "IAF successfully test-lands Mirage on Yamuna e-way". The Times of India. 22 May 2015.
- "Facts About Yamuna Expressway |". Projectsjugaad.com. 13 May 2011.
- "Salient Features of the Yamuna Expressway Project | Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority". Yamunaexpresswayauthority.com. Archived from the original on 7 December 2013.
- "About Us | Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority". Yamunaexpresswayauthority.com. 24 April 2001.
- "Yamuna Expressway: From Dec, zoon to Agra at 120kmph". The Times of India. 9 November 2011.
- "YEIDA launches 5 schemes". 2 June 2016.
- "Toll rates for Yamuna expressway". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Infrastructure Progress to Shove Yamuna Expressway Realty http://www.crcadvisor.com/crc-news/infrastructure-progress-to-shove-yamuna-expressway-realty.htm