This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elevation||255 m (837 ft)|
|• Density||687/km2 (1,780/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, Haryanvi, Punjabi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-HR|
|Sex ratio||877 ♂/♀|
Yamuna Nagar ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a city and a municipal corporation in Yamuna Nagar district in the Indian state of Haryana. It is located south-east of the state capital Chandigarh. This town is known for the cluster of plywood units. It is also known for providing the country's finest timber to even larger industries. The older town is called Jagadhri. The Jagadhri Railway Station services the city. It used to be a green, clean and prosperous industrial city. However, due to recent spur in Industrial units in and around the city have resulted in severe air, water and soil pollution issues. The city is turning up rapidly with the opening of multiplexes and various high end brand stores. Saroj Bala is the elected Mayor of Yamuna Nagar MC.
Yamuna Nagar has the river Yamuna (its namesake) running through the district, and forming the eastern boundary with the neighbouring Saharanpur district. This boundary is also a state boundary, as Saharanpur is in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The district also separates the Yamuna system from the Satluj river system.
From Yamuna Nagar, Yamuna river enters plain area for the first time. The historical river Saraswati also originates from the place named Adibadri in the district. Towards its northern edge is a sub-mountainous region, which has more forest cover and lots of streams; it is the area where the river Yamuna flows out of the hills and into the plains. The northern boundary is also an interstate boundary with the state of Himachal Pradesh to the north. Sirmour in Himachal is the district to its north with the towns of Nahan and Paonta Sahib close to the boundary with Yamuna nagar.
As per provisional pp data of 2011 census Yamuna Nagar urban agglomeration had a population of 383,318, out of which males were 205,346 and females were 177,972. The literacy rate was 85.72 percent.
It has largest Muslim population after Mewat in Haryana.
This town was once part of District Ambala before it was made as separate District of [Haryana]. This town became the new home of the refugees who migrated to this part of the country on the partition of the country in 1947 .Rampura Colony, Model Colony, Model Town and Gandhi Camp areas of modern city were reserved for them, the position remained as such up to 1970s. The place was earlier known as 'Abdullahpur' which was later renamed by the city's eminent people as Jamnanagar and later on as Yamuna Nagar. Till 1947, it was a small hamlet of 6000 people, mostly population concentrated around Jagadhri Railway Station and Yamuna Gali, Old Radaur Road area. After partition of India, many migrants from Punjab in Pakistan chose to make Yamuna Nagar/Jagadhri their new home, and in the process. adding to the culture of the town. The area where land was allocated to the migrants, later developed into the Model Town area of Yamuna Nagar, the centre of the city area. The Topra Asokan pillar of Delhi was found in the village Topra Kalan, about 20 km from yamuna Nagar. Archaeological survey of India has found many Harrapan bricks and stones from the area.
- Dr.Sachin Dua, is MD in Ayurvedic medicine and an expert Ayurveda consultant yamuna nagar and practicing in Yamuna nagar Rishikesh and Johannesburg South Africa .He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has been on various national/international TV channels for interviews, written articles for various health columns in international newspapers. He has presented papers and given lectures at various national and international forums and congresses and has regular clinic in India. He also visits his distributors around the world for consultations, seminars, lectures etc. At present, he runs 1 manufacturing company, 1 herbal export/trading company, his ayurvedic clinic in yamuna nagar , Rishikesh India ,Johannesburg South Africa and offers free ayurvedic consultation to online patients.he had treated many chronic diseases like psoriasis paralysis piles fistula ibs vasting disease primary infertility hepatitis B Kidney stone neuropathy etc
- Pritam Pal, retired High Court Judge and former Lokayukta Haryana, his daughter Sukhda Pritam is Judicial Magistrate in Haryana.
- Sanjeev Rajput, Arjun awardee shooter
- Karnam Malleswari, First Women Olympic Medallist from India
- Rani Rampal, Women Hockey Player
- Sunil Dutt, Notable Actor
- Ashwini Sharma, District education officer, First DPC(Sarva shiksha abhiyaan)
- Sumeet Passi, Footballer, plays for India national football team and NorthEast United FC
- Kapal Mochan (Bilaspur)
- Chitta Mandir (Yamuna Nagar)
- Saraswati udgam Sthal (Bilaspur)
- Gurudwara Sri Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib (Buria)
Yamuna Nagar is well known for its industries. It has emerged as an important industrial destination in the state. This has been despite its relatively isolated location from rest of the state. Due to expanding industries, the city kept on extending geographically. This is primarily due to an increasing number of immigrants. This led to an intermixing of diverse culture. It also has to do with the rural ambiance which is reported to have undergone a lot of change. With increasing population, the trading aspects became brighter and the city went on becoming the second highest revenue generator of Haryana, immediately after Faridabad that owes its position largely to its prime location.
The city has a paper manufacturer giant. Ballarpur Industries Limited (BILT) is a flagship of the US$4 bn Avantha Group and India's largest manufacturer of writing and printing (W&P) paper.
The city produces sugar machinery, paper machinery along with highly efficient equipments for petrochemical plants, which are shipped to various refineries across the country.The city is also known for its plywood industries, which is attributed to the easy accessibility of primary raw material – poplar tree. It has also one of India's largest railway carriage and wagon repair workshops. Recently, Reliance Infrastructure has also installed Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram Thermal Power Station in the town. Haryana Urban Development Authority has done major development work in the land stretch linking the city with Jagadhri, the other part of twin city. Jagadhri is as also known as the 'Brass City', and famous for its brass and stainless steel utensils.
Yamuna Nagar is well known for education technology. It has emerged as an institute destination in the state. This has been despite its relatively isolated location from rest of the state.
Top colleges in yamunanagar are:
1. Seth jaiprakash institute of engineering & technology
2. Global research institute of management & technology, radaur
3. Mukand Lal national college
4.Guru nanak khalsa college
6.Haryana Engineering college,jagadhri
7.Yamuna institute of engineering and technology
8. Ganpati institute of technology and management
9.Tilak raj chaddha institute of management
10.Guru nanak girls college (GNG)
11.DAV Dental college (Dayanand)
Due to the abundant presence of water, fertile soil, and warm climate, farming is an important part of Yamuna Nagar. Some of the more commonly grown crops are sugarcane, rice, wheat, and garlic. In addition to conventional farming, many farmers of Yamuna Nagar also participate in agroforestry; poplar or eucalyptus trees are often included in these projects.
Located at the base of Shivalik Hills, Yamuna Nagar has moderately developed tourism industry.
Kalesar National Park is one of the tourist spots which can be seen here. The place is located at border of Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
The Western Yamuna Canal of the river Yamuna flows on one side of the city. This canal serves the irrigation needs of the farmers. The canal has century old path ways, known locally as pattris, on both sides which serve as connecting routes between villages even today and also help the irrigation department to maintain the canal and serve as a perfect scenic walk—with water on one side and green lush farms on other. The river marks the boundary of the district with the state of Uttar Pradesh, which borders the city on the eastern side of river Yamuna. The neighbouring city is Saharanpur in the state of Uttar Pradesh. In the north, the district borders the state of Himachal Pradesh, Sirmaur being the district and the towns of Nahan and Paonta Sahib being the towns nearby. Tajewala headworks—from where the Yamuna canal is diverted—also lies north of the city. Jagadhri is an adjoining town famous for its industrial brass sheet and stainless steel industry.
Yamunanagar is well-connected to other cities in Haryana like Panipat, Karnal, Ambala, Kurukshetra and Rohtak. four-laning of highway connecting Yamunanagar to the state capital of Chandigarh via Panchkula is under process.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above, Census 2011" (PDF). Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Panipat gets first Mayor". Dailypioneer.com. 2013-07-04. Retrieved 2015-11-21.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-26.