The Bad Shepherds
|The Bad Shepherds|
|Associated acts||The Idiot Bastard Band|
The Bad Shepherds were an English folk band, formed by the comedian Adrian Edmondson in 2008. They played folk punk songs with traditional folk instruments. The band primarily consisted of Edmondson (vocals, mandolins, mandola) and Troy Donockley (uilleann pipes, cittern, whistles, vocals).
After "accidentally" buying a mandolin, Edmondson taught himself to play a few chords and he began to play a few punk songs on it. After playing for two days with Donockley, a virtuoso uilleann pipes player and multi-instrumentalist, they had arranged eight songs. After some initial experimentation, they enlisted Dinan, winner of the All-Ireland Fiddle Championship, and the band was formed. Essentially a folk band, the band's repertoire is taken from punk and new wave hits from 1978 to 1985. They re-interpret songs, inserting traditional reels and jigs.
After touring the United Kingdom during 2008, the Bad Shepherds released their debut album, Yan, Tyan, Tethera, Methera! (which translates from an ancient Cumbrian dialect as One, Two, Three, Four!) in May 2009. The band released their second album, By Hook or By Crook, with former Steeleye Span member Tim Harries playing double bass, in 2010. The Bad Shepherds also headlined the first Looe Music Festival in 2011.
At the start of 2013, after a year long hiatus the band announced they were getting back together to release a new album and undertake a 24-date UK tour, along with a six-date tour of Australia. Both of which were entitled Mud, Blood and Beer. The album was released on 19 August 2013, and included both cover versions of punk and new wave tracks, plus their own material.
Adrian Edmondson announced the band's end on his Facebook page on October 31, 2016.
- Adrian Edmondson – vocals, mandolin, mandola
- Troy Donockley – uilleann pipes, cittern, whistles, vocals
- Terl Bryant – percussion
- Andy Dinan – fiddle
- Carol Dawson – fiddle
- Eimear Bradley – fiddle
- Keith Angel – percussion
- Mark Woolley – percussion
- Martin Allcock – bass
- Brad Lang – bass
- Tim Harries – bass
|Year||Album details||Track listing|
|2009||Yan, Tyan, Tethera, Methera!||
|2010||By Hook or By Crook
|2013||Mud, Blood and Beer'|
- "Ade Edmondson announces return of The Bad Shepherds with new album and UK tour". Louderthanwar.com. 2013-03-03. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Biogs". The Bad Shepherds. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Punk flock from Ade's Shepherds". Western Morning News. 2009-05-08. Retrieved 2015-08-09.
- Damian Whitworth. "Adrian Edmondson: 'I was a year ahead: then she overtook me and shot off'". The Times. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- Emma Hartley. "Cropredy Festival: Yusuf Islam, Fairport Convention - review". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "The Bad Shepherds". The Bad Shepherds. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Looe Music Festival: Line Up". Looemusic.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "'Mud, Blood & Beer' New Bad Shepherds album". SpiralEarth. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Radio 2 -Folk Awards 2010 - Nominees". BBC. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Spiral Awards 2012". spiralearth.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Mud Blood & Beer - The Bad Shepherds | Releases". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-07-22.
- "Mud, Blood & Beer: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-28.