Yanchuan in Yan'an
Yan'an in Shaanxi
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||1,985 km2 (766 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
Yanchuan County (Chinese: 延川县; pinyin: Yánchuān Xiàn) is a county under the administration of the prefecture-level city of Yan'an, in the northeast of Shaanxi Province, bordering Shanxi Province across the Yellow River to the east. The county spans 1,985 kilometers in area, and is home to 192,000 people as of 2017. In 1969, Xi Jinping was sent to work in Liangjiahe Village, Wen'anyi, Yanchuan County, as part of Mao Zedong's Down to the Countryside Movement. This has launched the county into the national spotlight, making the area a tourist site for many.
Towns of Yanchuan County
The county's seven towns are as follows:
- Yongping (Chinese: 永坪镇; pinyin: Yǒngpíng Zhèn)
- Yanshuiguan (Chinese: 延水关镇; pinyin: Yánshuǐguān Zhèn)
- Wen'anyi (Chinese: 文安驿镇; pinyin: Wén'ānyì Zhèn)
- Yangjiagetai (Chinese: 杨家圪台镇; pinyin: Yángjiāgētái Zhèn)
- Jiajiaping (Chinese: 贾家坪镇; pinyin: Jiǎjiāpíng Zhèn)
- Guanzhuang (Chinese: 关庄镇; pinyin: Guānzhuāng Zhèn)
- Qiankunwan (Chinese: 乾坤湾镇; pinyin: Qiánkūnwān Zhèn)
Yanchuan County is located in Northern Shaanxi, approximately 80 kilometers northeast of Yan'an's urban area. The terrain is largely hilly, characteristic of the broader Loess Plateau. The Yellow River and the Qingjian River both pass through the county.
The county has an annual average temperature is 10.8°C, an average of 2558 sunshine hours per year, and received approximately 500 millimeters of rain per year.
The county had a total GDP of 8.065 billion Yuan as of 2017, a 10.6% increase from the previous year. The per capita disposable income of the county's urban population was 30,598 Yuan, and was 10,015 for the county's rural population. The area is also a key regional producer of red dates, sour dates, and apples.
The county has oil reserves totaling 2.12 million tons, coal reserves totaling 30 million tons, and salt reserves of 15.3 billion tons. In 2017, Yanchuan County produced 55,600 tons of crude oil, 350 million cubic meters of natural gas, 400,000 tons of raw coal, 3.03 million tons of processed crude oil, and 188,600 tons of liquefied natural gas.
The county attracts many tourists due to the presence of natural, historic, and red tourism sites within the county. In 2017, 3.05 million tourists visited the county, spending over 2 billion Yuan. Major sites include the Qiankunwan Scenic Area, the former home of writer Lu Yao, the Red Army Eastern Expedition Memorial Hall, and the village of Liangjiahe.
As part of Mao Zedong's Down to the Countryside Movement, a young Xi Jinping was sent to Liangjiahe, a small village in the county. Here, he was made to do intense manual labor, and live in a yaodong, a type of cave dwelling common throughout the region. Since his ascent to leadership, the village has attracted many tourists, with media sources suggesting that thousands visit the village everyday to learn about Xi Jinping's life during this time.
Yanchuan County is served by China National Highway 210, Shaanxi Provincial Highway 201, and Shaanxi Provincial Highway 205.
- "延川概况-延川县人民政府". 2018-10-14. Archived from the original on 2018-10-14. Retrieved 2020-04-27.
- 不忘初心：是什么造就了今天的习主席？. Youku. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Hyped pilgrimages to Xi Jinping's cave home 'doing more harm than good'". South China Morning Post. 2018-08-09. Retrieved 2020-04-28.
- "2018年统计用区划代码". www.stats.gov.cn. Retrieved 2020-04-27.
- "延川县概况地图_行政区划网(区划地名网) www.xzqh.org". xzqh.org. Retrieved 2020-04-27.
- "社会经济-延川县人民政府". 2018-10-14. Archived from the original on 2018-10-14. Retrieved 2020-04-27.
- hweepeng@st (2016-05-15). "President Xi Jinping and other sent-down youths who are now big names in China". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2020-04-28.