Yandere Simulator is an upcoming stealth action video game currently in development by YandereDev. The game centers upon an obsessively lovesick schoolgirl named Ayano Aishi, also known as "Yandere-chan" after the Japanese term "yandere", who has taken it upon herself to eliminate anyone she believes is monopolizing her crush's attention. Over the course of ten weeks, Ayano will eliminate ten different rivals in order to ensure that her crush, Senpai, will not fall for the other girls.
Story and gameplay
Players control Ayano Aishi (nicknamed Yandere-chan), an apathetic Japanese high school girl who has developed a crush on a fellow student Taro Yamada, nicknamed "Senpai". Over the course of ten in-game weeks, ten other students will attempt to form a relationship with Senpai, and Ayano must prevent them from doing so.
Due to her yandere nature, this can be accomplished by the player through a diverse array of methods ranging from peaceful to violent, including matchmaking, befriending, betrayal, gossip, expulsion, frameup, kidnapping, electrocution, crushing, poisoning, drowning, burning, homicide, faked suicide, incited suicide, murder–suicide after torture, and other rival-specific elimination methods, as well as simple elimination methonds using various weapons seen throughout the game, such as a kitchen knife,circularsaw, a baseball bat, and katana. Throughout the game, Ayano can receive aid from an information broker calling herself "Info-chan", who provides her with weapons, plans, items, and other favors in exchange for panty shots, information and blackmail material.
Ayano must also avoid being witnessed while performing criminal activities or suffer penalties, such as loss in reputation that makes it harder for other students to trust her, diminishing sanity that discourages Senpai and hinders ability to carefully carry out crime, to an immediate game over by being caught by Senpai for acting suspiciously around him, being caught in the act of a crime by him, or being apprehended by students or a teacher.Murdering student can result in penalties to "School Atmosphere", which alters NPC behavior to become more suspicious and riddled with anxiety, demonstrated by actions such as locking their lockers. During this time, she can join school clubs and attend classes to receive additional abilities such as easy access to weapons, increased abilities to avoid suspicion, or easy access to other items.
The developer defines the current state of Yandere Simulator as a "playable debug sandbox build". This means that not all features are currently implemented. The final game will contain six modes: Story Mode, the base game; 1980s Mode, a prequel to the base game; Endless Mode, a never-ending version of the base game; Custom Mode, a customizable version of the base game; Pose Mode, in which players may pose their favorite characters; and Mission Mode, in which Ayano completes missions for Info-chan.
Clubs and Benefits
During the gameplay, Ayano can join school clubs and attend classes to receive additional abilities to aid her task of eliminating her rivals such as easy access to weapons, increased abilities to avoid suspicion, as well as access to other club-specific items. She can join only one club at a time and must attend one club meeting a week in order to get the benefits. If Ayano leaves the club, she will lose her benefits, as well as the ability to re-join the club. If a member of he club she is in sees her commit murder, she will automatically be kicked out of the club. If a club leader dies and there are less than five other members, the club will shut down. There are twelve clubs in the works that are available to join: Cooking, Photography, Science, Art, Martial Arts, Light Music, Occult, Gaming, Drama, Sports, Gardening, and Student Council.
The cooking club allows the player to prepare treats to share with other students, which ultimately increases Ayano's reputation. This is important for a few reasons, as a low reputation will make students hostile and more suspicious of you, which makes it harder to steal objects or commit murder, and will not give the option to perform a task for a student, which also increases reputation and trust. The drama club allows the player access to a variety of masks and gloves. The masks hide your identity and can prevent witnesses from naming you as the murderer to the police, and the gloves prevent your fingerprints to appear on weapons. This gives the player the ability to frame a student if the weapon used for murder was used by another student prior to you. The masks may only be used once if the murder is reported, as the head master will prohibit masks from being worn in the school. The occult club allows the player to have a status of strange but harmless around other students, so they will take longer to notice your presence when you are in the act of murder or insane. Another benefit is you will lose less sanity when committing murder. The rate of your sanity determines how long the attack animation is, so the less sanity you have, the longer the attack animation, which proves helpful when you want to get rid of a large amount of students. The art club allows the player to wear a smock, which will prevents students to suspect you are covered in blood after you killed someone, when they think it is just red paint. The light music club allows the player access to a cello case, which makes it easier for the player to hold/hide body parts and weapons without suspicion. The martial arts club allows the player the win fights with students and or teachers instantly, but this benefit is not set in place, and is in consideration for being to powerful. The photography club allows the player to take pictures of students without skepticism. These photos can be sent to Info-Chan in order to learn students information, which proves useful in learning students personality types, crushes, clubs, strength in combat, as well as additional information that can be used to your advantage. The science club allows the player access to a robots specificall designed to clean spills.This proves useful if you are committing murder. If you leave a trace of blood, this machine will clean the mess for you so you do not have to clean it yourself. One setback is that this robot cannot climb stairs, so you have to carry the robot around with you. It does become full, so it has to be emptied regularly. The sports club allows the player access to sports equipment such as a baseball bat, and to carry these things around without raising suspicion, as well as the ability to run faster than normal speed. The gardening club allows the player access to gardening tools,and can carry them around without question. You also have access to a patch of dirt that allows you to bury bodies in it.
The gaming club allows the player access to the computer lab and its computer. When playing a game on the computer, based on the game, it will temporarily raise your stats, but will diminish at the end of the day, lowering your stats back to normal. If you play an educational game, you have the option to raise one of your subjects scores, such as Psychology, Chemistry, Biology, or Language. If you choose to play a fighting game, your strength will improve. If you choose a dating game, you will have a boost to your appeal. If you play a horror game, you will be less susceptible to sanity loss. If you play a role playing game, your reputation will get a boost during a social interaction with students, and will lose less reputation points during a negative interaction. If you play a stealth game, it will make you less noticeable and delay students reactions to your presence. If you play a racing game, your running ability will receive a boost. Lastly, there is a game at the end of the row of computers that has a secret ability when played.
The student council allows the player many helpful benefits such as asking any student for favors without going through the trouble of befriending them, as well as do anything you ask of them such as get someone's attention, leave the perimeter, as well as ask to follow you. You would be allowed to roam anywhere on school grounds without suspicion. Students range of vision would decrease, as they feel protected and safe around you. These can all be helpful, but only if you meet the criteria. A few rules apply when interested in joining. You must have a high reputation with many students as well as never have fallen below the midpoint. You must never have been late to any class and never have goneto the guidance counselor for any reason. You must also have done a favor for each of the active concil members. Different from other clubs which require your attendance at least once a week, the student council has a mandatory meeting everyday of the week. What's more, you would have to incorporate additional student council tasks, such as turn in a troublesome student, stopping a fight, transporting paperwork to faculty, assisting clb leaders and asking if they could use your help, as well as findin answers to student council questions.
YandereDev is the nom de plume of Alex, an independent game developer in California and has worked at a video game company for three years. In April 2014, YandereDev pitched the idea for Yandere Simulator on 4chan, where it got a lot of positive feedback, so he decided to start developing it. It is a social stealth game that borrows elements from the Hitman series of video games, but also contains "school simulation" gameplay and other elements that seek to make it quite different. The developer has also cited influence from the Persona series of games, in addition to Hitman.
Development for Yandere Simulator began in 2014, with YandereDev releasing test builds of the game for debugging purposes. He has regularly released updates that add elements to the game, such as the ability to poison, electrocute, and drown rivals, befriend other schoolgirls, small mini games, a town the player can bike around in, and more.
On March 1, 2017, YandereDev announced a partnership with tinyBuild that would help him with polishing and promoting the game. Through mutual agreement, the partnership was broken up again in December that year.
In November 2018, YandereDev released a blog post and a video explaining how internet trolls and others have been harassing him and spreading hate about him, and how it affects his game development efforts. He also asked his fans to vote in an online poll on whether or not they want to have him debunking rumours about him. The poll was closed with one-third asking for such debunking, and to that end YandereDev published a second FAQ on his website dedicated for explanations and clarifications. He also thanked his fanbase for their support following the previous video.
- Vincent, Brittany (March 15, 2015). "VIDEO: "Yandere Simulator" Puts The Crazy In Your Hands". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Makedonski, Brett (April 1, 2015). "YouTube bans Yandere Simulator anime panty shots, commenters are pissed". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Archived from the original on April 20, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Ashcraft, Brian (March 30, 2015). "The Schoolgirl Sim In Which You Kill People". Kotaku. Gizmodo Media Group. Archived from the original on January 21, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- YandereDev (November 16, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@YanNeppy I think I've settled on "Aishi" as her canon surname. At this point, the "temporary" name, Ayano, has been used by many people.."". Twitter. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- "Characters - Yandere Simulator". Yandere Simulator. Archived from the original on June 3, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- Preistman, Chris (March 13, 2015). "Learn How To Get Away With Murder In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Archived from the original on January 3, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- YandereDev (November 24, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@From_the_moon_ The final game will feature 10 rivals and last for 10 weeks. One rival per week."". Twitter. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- "About - Yandere Simulator". Yandere Simulator. Archived from the original on May 17, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- YandereDev (August 19, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@xnooelx When "School Atmosphere" is low (blood and corpses have been discovered, students fear a killer) students will lock their lockers."". Twitter. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- "This debug sandbox build is not representative of the final game. This build only exists for testing purposes". Archived from the original on August 1, 2017.
- Pose Mode and Mission Mode have already been implemented; for the others, see YandereDev. "Frequently Asked Questions". Google Docs. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- Yandere Dev, Club Benefits in Yandere Simulator, retrieved 2018-12-10
- Yandere Dev, The Gaming Club, retrieved 2018-12-10
- Yandere Dev, (Gameplay Focus) Student Council in Yandere Sim, retrieved 2018-12-10
- Batal, John. "Gamesnosh Interviews – Yanderedev (Yandere Simulator)". GameSnosh.
- YandereDev (October 22, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@sanloveshorror Well, it's not really a "rumor"; I stated in an interview that my first name is Alex."". Twitter. Archived from the original on April 22, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- YandereDev (August 14, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@evangelinaavi17 Yep! Yandere Sim began on 4chan. Most of the game's design & mechanics were suggested by anonymous posters on the /v/ board"". Twitter. Archived from the original on March 15, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- YandereDev (August 18, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@LD009 When I pitched the idea for Yandere Simulator, lots of people got very excited about the project. This made me decide to make it real"". Twitter. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- YandereDev (September 11, 2015). "YandereDev on Twitter: "@etherealyandere I don't think Yandere-chan should be allowed to disguise herself as another character. Too close to plagiarizing Hitman..."". Twitter. Archived from the original on November 9, 2017. Retrieved June 4, 2017.
- Yandere Dev (May 4, 2017), Let's Examine Persona - Part 1, archived from the original on May 20, 2017, retrieved October 3, 2017
- Loveridge, Lynzee (May 23, 2015). "Yandere Simulator Will Let Players Love Their Sempai — To Death". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on January 7, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Priestman, Chris (May 21, 2015). "How To Make A Murder Look Like Suicide In Yandere Simulator". Siliconera. Curse, Inc. Archived from the original on March 13, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Hansen, Steven (June 5, 2015). "Yandere Simulator lets you poison Japanese schoolgirls". Destructoid. ModernMethod. Archived from the original on January 25, 2016. Retrieved January 10, 2016.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (March 2, 2017). "Yandere Simulator picks up publisher, developer guarantees completion". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Archived from the original on March 3, 2017. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- Shive, Chris (March 1, 2017). "tinyBuild Teams Up with YandereDev for Yandere Simulator". Hardcore Gamer. Archived from the original on March 4, 2017. Retrieved March 3, 2017.
- "Hate and Shame". Yandere Simulator Development Blog. 11 Nov 2018. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Debunking Rumors + New Build". Yandere Simulator Development Blog. 1 Dec 2018. Retrieved 2018-12-02.