Yandex Browser on Windows 10.
|Initial release||October 1, 2012|
Yandex Browser, stylized as Yandex.Browser, (Russian: Яндекс.Браузер) is a freeware web browser developed by the Russian web search corporation Yandex that uses the Blink layout engine and is based on the Chromium open source project. The browser checks webpage security with the Yandex security system and checks downloaded files with Kaspersky anti-virus. The browser also uses Opera Software's Turbo technology to speed web browsing on slow connections.
Yandex is facing web search competition in Russia from Google Search. Google Chrome, Russia's most popular web browser, uses Google Search as its default search engine, and in June 2012 Mozilla Firefox, the world's third most popular web browser, signed a deal to replace Yandex Search as its default search engine with Google Search. As Yandex browser's "Smartbox" uses Yandex Search as its default search engine, the browser will help Yandex compete for Russian search market share.
Distinguishing features of the Yandex.Browser include the following:
- Different "new tab" screen with a Windows 8-style interface and specialised widgets for popular services (e.g. the gmail widget shows number of unread messages).
- User data sync with the Internet and other devices running yandex.browser, including tabs, bookmarks, history, passwords, settings and more.
- Integrated keyboard layout switcher in omnibox: e.g. if user frequently visits gmail.com and starts typing "пьф" ("gma" with Russian keyboard layout) and presses Enter, the user will then be taken to gmail.com and not to the search page for "пьф" (as is the case in Chrome, for example).
- Integrated translation: selecting any text shows a popup button which, when pressed, shows a translation of the text to Russian using Lingvo.
- With version 1.1 Opera Turbo has been integrated to speed up the loading of web pages over slow internet connections and reduce data usage.
According to Liveinternet.ru analytics, Yandex.Browser reached 2.3% market share in Russia two months after its release. As of July 2013 Yandex.Browser reached 5% for ru@ru slice at Liveinternet.ru and 7.9% as of March 2015.
- "the simple image sharer". imgur. 2012-10-01. Retrieved 2013-07-08.[unreliable source?]
- "Yandex" Browser Software License Agreement, Yandex, retrieved 2012-10-02
- Lunden, Ingrid (1 October 2012). "Yandex Gives Google A One-Two Punch In Russia: A New Browser And App Store For The Local Search Giant". TechCrunch. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- Reliable protection from viruses, Yandex, retrieved 2012-10-02
- Yandex launches its own browser targeting Russian market, Engadget, retrieved 2012-10-02
- Joey-Elijah Sneddon. "Russia's 'Yandex Browser' Launches First Linux Beta, Is No Chrome Clone - OMG! Ubuntu!". OMG! Ubuntu!.
- New Yandex browser escalates Russia's search-engine wars, Net Prophet, retrieved 2012-10-16
- Yandex Starts Own Internet Browser to Challenge Google, Bloomberg Businessweek, retrieved 2012-10-02
- "Yandex.Browser 1.1 Press Release". Yandex.Company.
- "Liveinternet.ru analytics".