Yangon City Development Committee
|ရန်ကုန်မြို့တော် စည်ပင်သာယာရေး ကော်မတီ|
Yangon City Hall
|Formed||May 14, 1990|
|Jurisdiction||City of Yangon|
|Headquarters||Yangon City Hall|
|Annual budget||K 15 billion (2003)|
Yangon City Development Committee (Burmese: ရန်ကုန်မြို့တော် စည်ပင်သာယာရေး ကော်မတီ, abbreviated YCDC) is the administrative body of Yangon, the largest city and former capital of Myanmar (Burma). It consists of 20 departments, with headquarters in the Yangon City Hall. The committee's chairman also acts as the city's mayor.
On 14 May 1990, the Yangon City Development Law formally established the present incarnation of YCDC, delegating wide responsibilities to this body, including city planning, land administration, tax collection, and development. However, the YCDC is also responsible for duties stipulated in the 1922 Rangoon Municipal Act.
The YCDC is technically independent of the government, and raises its own revenues through tax collection, fees, licenses and property development. In the 2011-2012 budget year, YCDC had an estimated deficit of Ks 5 billion, because of high spending on road construction and purchase of waste collection vehicles.
The YCDC is organized as follows:
- Committee Members No.(4) to No.(9)
The YCDC is responsible for the city's:
- waste management (including collection and treatment)
- business licenses and registries
- water supply
- roads and bridges
- environmental regulations
- maintenance of public property (including parks, heritage sites)
- street lighting
YCDC's environmental maintenance department maintains 8 cemeteries in Yangon:
- Yayway Cemetery, North Okkalapa Township
- Hteinbin Cemetery, Hlaingthaya Township
- Kyizu Cemetery (ကျီစုသုသာန်), Dagon Seikkan Township
- Daweigyaung Cemetery (ထားဝယ်ချောင်သုသာန်), North Dagon Township
- Kyugyaung Cemetery (ကျူချောင်သုသာန်), Shwepyitha Township
- Dala Cemetery (ဒလသုသာန်), Dala Township
- Seikkan Khanaungto Cemetery (ဆိပ်ကမ်းခနောင်တိုသုသာန်), Seikkyi Kanaungto Township
- Seikgyi Cemetery (ဆိပ်ကြီးသုသာန်), Kyimyindaing Township.
Yangon City Development Committee organization chart
- Committee Office
- Administration Department
- Budget and Accounts Department
- Inspection Department
- Co-ordination Department
- Assessor Department
- Revenue Department
- Markets Department
- Veterinary and Slaughter House Department
- Pollution Control and Cleansing Department
- Engineering Department (Roads & Bridges)
- Engineering Department(Buildings)
- Engineering Department (Water & Sanitation)
- Motor Transport & Workshop Department
- Central Stores Department
- Playgrounds, Parks & Gardens Department
- Security and Disciplinary Department
- City Planning & Land Administration Department
- Health Department
- Public Relations and Informations Department
- Production Department
- Yangon City Golf Club
- Yangon City Bank
In 2003, YCDC was organized to provide e-Government for Yangon City. The main purposes of the city's e-Government program are to provide easy access between the government and the city's citizens via the Internet, to reduce paper usage, to reduce the city budget, to build the city's fiber ring, to provide timely public information, to store public data and to develop and expand G2G, G2C, G2B, and G2E programs.
In January 2013 responsibility for e-Government was divided between the e-Government Administration Committee and the e-Government Processing Committee. The e-Government Administration Committee includes the Mayor of Yangon City as Patron, the Secretary of YCDC as Chairman, and the other 20 head of departments member. The e-Government Working Committee includes the Head of Public Relations and Information Department as Chairman.
- "Public-Private Partnership for Yangon's Water Supply" (PDF). Cite journal requires
- Kraas, Frauke; Hartmut Gaese; Mi Mi Kyi (2006). Megacity Yangon. LIT Verlag Münster. ISBN 9783825800420.
- Cities and sustainable development. United Nations. Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. 2003. ISBN 9789211203677.
- Etherton, David. Human Settlements Sector Review: Union of Myanmar. UN-HABITAT. ISBN 9789211311280.
- Kyaw Hsu Mon; Yadana Htun (7 November 2011). "Yangon Region govt facing K22b budget black hole". Myanmar Times. Retrieved 9 March 2012.
- James, Helen. Governance and civil Society in Myanmar: Education,health, and environment. Routledge. pp. 121–122. ISBN 9781134254002.
- Fujita, Kōichi; Fumiharu Mieno; Ikuko Okamoto (2009). The Economic Transition in Myanmar After 1988. NUS Press. p. 306. ISBN 9789971694616.
- "ရန်ကုန်မြို့တော်ကြီးကို သာယာလှပအောင် ကြိုးစား ဆောင်ရွက်နေသော ရန်ကုန်မြို့တော်ဝန်နှင့် တွေ့ဆုံခြင်း". Newsweek (in Burmese). 23 July 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2015.