Yangyang International Airport
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Yangyang International Airport
Yangyang Gukje Gonghang
Yangyang Kukche Konghang
|Operator||Korea Airports Corporation|
|Location||Yangyang, Gangwon Province, South Korea|
|Elevation AMSL||73 m / 241 ft|
Yangyang International Airport (IATA: YNY, ICAO: RKNY) is a small international airport in northeastern South Korea. It is located in Yangyang County, Gangwon Province and was built to serve the nearby areas of Sokcho, Gangneung and Pyeongchang. The airport replaced Gangneung and Sokcho airports.
In 2011, 5,748 passengers used the airport.
Air Koryo operated charters from Hamhung Airport to Yangyang Airport during 2002–2006 for few months per year. Flights were halted indefinitely after relations soured between the two Koreas.
Yangyang International Airport handled its last flight on 1 November 2008, according to the Korea Airport Corporation, and there were calls for it to be sold off or closed. It reopened on 16 July 2010 when East Asia AirLine started flying to Busan-Gimhae.
On 4 August 2011, Taiwan's TransAsia Airways began flying to Yangyang International Airport (five times a week). TransAsia Airways stated that it will be a regular chartered service. However on the 18th of February 2017, TransAsia Airways went into liquidation.
With Pyeongchang being voted as the host city for 2018 Winter Olympics, Yangyang International Airport hopes to see an increase in passengers. Korean Air scheduled additional charter flights from Yangyang to Europe and North America, including New York JFK, Minneapolis, London-Gatwick, and Munich.
This includes a visa-free grace for the Philippines, Indonesia, and Vietnam so long as citizens land in Yangyang Airport, but since there are no airlines flying from South East Asia to Yangyang, this makes the gesture moot.
Airlines and destinations
|Korea Express Air||Busan, Jeju|
|Korean Air||Seasonal: Seoul–Incheon|
|Korea Express Air||Kitakyushu|
|Yakutia Airlines||Seasonal: Vladivostok|
- Good Morning Tour : Yangyang Bus Terminal ↔ Yangyang International Airport
- "South Korea Traffic Statistics". airport-information.com.
- BBC news report on Yangyang Airport
- Notice of Dissolution of TransAsia Airways Corporation
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Korean Air schedules Yangyang – Europe charters in Feb 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Korean Air adds Yangyang – US charters in Feb 2018". Routesonline. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- Visa-free entry to Korea for Filipinos, but …
- Yangyang International Airport (in English)
- South Korea's abandoned airports
- Airport information for RKNY at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
|This article about a South Korean airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|