Yangzom Brauen (born 18 April 1980 in Switzerland) is a Swiss actress, activist and writer.
Life and work
Brauen, the daughter of Swiss ethnologist Martin Brauen and Tibetan artist Sonam Dolma Brauen, started her acting career with small roles in Swiss television series. She had her Hollywood debut in the film Aeon Flux in the role of Inari. Since then, she has played in various American independent productions including a minor role in Al Pacino's Salomaybe, an adaptation of Oscar Wilde's Salome and the leading part in the German film Asudem (2006) by Daryush Shokof.
In addition to her acting work, Brauen has drawn media attention with her public advocacy on behalf of the Tibetan people. In 1999, she co-organised demonstrations against Chinese leader Jiang Zemin's visit to Switzerland, and in 2001 a photograph of her being arrested in Moscow during a protest against the award of the 2008 Summer Olympics to Beijing was used in news reports worldwide.
Eisenvogel ("Iron Bird"), Brauen's account of her grandmother Kunsang's and her mother Sonam's escape from Tibet, and her own youth in exile, was published in 2009 and became a bestseller in Germany. It was later published in English as Across Many Mountains.
|2000||Mannezimmer||Silvie Blum 3 episodes||TV|
|2001||Schluss mit lustig!||Maja||TV|
|2002||Usfahrt – Joy Ride||Lola|
|2005||The Big One||Anna|
|2006||Meine bezaubernde Nanny||Jane Fu||TV|
|2009||Pandorum||Elysium Second Lieutenant|
|2009||Hallo Hollywood||21 episodes||TV|
|2009||The Mandala Maker||Miranda|
|2012||Escape from Tibet||Dolma|
|2013||Who Killed Johnny||Bartender, Director|
|2015||Born In Battle||Short movie|
- Brauen, Yangzom (2009). Eisenvogel: drei Frauen aus Tibet; die Geschichte meiner Familie. München: Heyne. ISBN 978-3-453-16404-8.
Published in English as:
- "'Grossmutter betet für mich'" ['Grandmother uses to pray for me']. Schweizer Illustrierte (in German). 10 September 2009. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Nussbaumer, Hannes (12 April 2015). "In Bern geboren, in Hollywood zu Hause, für Tibet im Einsatz" (in German). Tages-Anzeiger. Archived from the original on 17 February 2012. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- Weigelt, Nadia (27 March 2008). "Auf dem Weg nach Hollywood: Tibet-Aktivistin Yangzom Brauen" (in German). n-tv. Archived from the original on 1 April 2008. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Wilton, Jennifer (30 March 2008). "Ihr Kampf für ein freies Tibet" (in German). Die Welt. Retrieved 11 December 2008.
- di Giovanni, Janine (7 March 2011). "Across Many Mountains: escape from Tibet". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 13 November 2011.