Yanni in 2007
The discography of the Greek contemporary instrumental musician Yanni consists of 14 studio albums and seven live albums. In 1987 he put together a small band which included John Tesh and Charlie Adams, and began touring to promote his earliest instrumental albums, Keys to Imagination, Out of Silence, and Chameleon Days.
Dare to Dream was released in 1992. It was Yanni’s first Grammy-nominated album and featured "Aria", a song based on The Flower Duet and popularized by an award-winning British Airways commercial. A second Grammy-nominated album, In My Time, was released in 1993. His music has been used extensively in television and televised sporting events, including the Super Bowl, Wide World of Sports, U.S. Open, Tour de France, World Figure Skating Championships, The Olympics, and ABC News.
Yanni's breakthrough commercial success came with the release of his album and video, Live at the Acropolis, filmed on September 25, 1993 at the 2,000-year-old Herod Atticus Theater in Athens, Greece, and released in 1994. This was Yanni’s first live album and utilized a full orchestra under the supervision of the Iranian conductor, Shahrdad Rohani, in addition to his core band. Subsequently, the concert was broadcast in the US on PBS and quickly became one of their most popular programs ever, having been seen in 65 countries by half a billion people. A composition from this album, "Acroyali/Standing in Motion", was determined to have the "Mozart Effect," by the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine because it is similar to Mozart's K 448 in tempo, structure, melodic and harmonic consonance and predictability. He has appeared on several major PBS Pledge TV Specials such as A Decade of Excellence, including segments from Live at the Acropolis, Tribute, and Live at Royal Albert Hall, London.
- This list excludes compilation and retrospective albums.
|1986||Keys to Imagination|
|1987||Out of Silence|
|1990||Reflections of Passion||1||29||compilation + 3 new tracks|
|1991||In Celebration of Life||3||60|
|1992||Dare to Dream||2||32||Grammy-nominated (New Age)|
|1993||In My Time||1||24||Grammy-nominated (New Age)|
|2000||If I Could Tell You||1||20|
|2009||Yanni Voices (English language)||1||20||No. 2 selling New Age Album (2009), No. 5 (2010).
Peaked as Billboard No. 20 Top Internet Album
|Yanni Voces (Spanish language)||2||Peaked as No. 5 Billboard Top Latin Pop Album and
No. 13 Billboard Top Latin Album.
|2010||Mexicanisimo||2||No. 7 selling New Age album of 2011
My Passion for Mexico (2012) has same tracks
|2011||Truth of Touch||1||No. 1 top-selling New Age album of 2011
No. 10 selling New Age album of 2012
|2012||My Passion for Mexico (English title)||7||Mexicanisimo (2010) has same tracks|
|Year||Tour / Album||Billboard
|1994||Live at the Acropolis||1||5||Released following the Sept. 1993 Acropolis concerts|
|1995||Live at Royal Albert Hall||—||—||(video only; no album)|
|1996||One on One||—||—||Non-musical video of Interlochen interview (ASIN B0002LGU74)|
|1997||Tribute||1||21||Taj Mahal (India) and Forbidden City (Beijing)|
|2006||Yanni Live! The Concert Event||1||84||2004 concert;
No. 4 selling New Age album of both 2006 and 2007
Peaked at No. 6 Billboard Top Independent Album (2006)
|2009||Yanni Voices||1||20||Billboard rankings are for studio album|
|2012||Live at El Morro,
|1||109||December 2011 concerts; subject of 2012 CD and DVD;
No. 5 selling New Age album of 2012
|2014||Yanni: World Without Borders||—||—||Video composite from "World Without Borders" tour|
|2016||The Dream Concert: Live from the Great Pyramids of Egypt||—||—||Two concerts, on October 30 and 31, 2015|
- 1988 Steal the Sky
- 1988 Heart of Midnight
- 1989 I Love You Perfect
- 1990 Children of the Bride
- 1990 She'll Take Romance
- 1990 When You Remember Me
- 1994 Hua qi Shao Lin
- 2015 Hexi Corridor - Documentary film
- Yanni has released the following compilations and retrospectives:
- 1990 Reflections of Passion, Private Music
- 1991 In Celebration of Life, Private Music
- 1992 Romantic Moments, BMG International
- 1994 A Collection of Romantic Themes, Private Music
- 1997 In the Mirror, Private Music
- 1997 Port of Mystery, Windham Hill Records
- 1997 Nightbird, BMG Special Products
- 1997 Devotion: The Best of Yanni, Private Music
- 1998 Forbidden Dreams: Encore Collection, Volume 2, BMG Special Products
- 1999 The Endless Dream, Unison
- 1999 Love Songs, Private Music
- 1999 Someday, Unison
- 1999 Songs from the Heart, BMG International
- 1999 Winter Light, Windham Hill Records / Private Music
- 1999 The Private Years, Private Music
- 2000 Snowfall, BMG Special Products
- 2000 Soaring Free (Disk 1), Madacy Distribution
- 2000 The Very Best of Yanni, Windham Hill Records
- 2003 Ultimate Yanni, BMG Heritage / Windham Hill
- 2006 The Collection, Private / Legacy
- 2007 Super Hits, Sony BMG
- 2008 Collections, Sony BMG
- 2010 The Essential Yanni, Legacy / Masterworks
- 2010 The Inspiring Journey, Sony Music Distribution
- 2013 Playlist: The Very Best of Yanni, Legacy / Windham Hill Records
- "Charlie Adams Official bio". charlieadams.org. Retrieved August 17, 2007.
- Live at the Acropolis (CD liner). Yanni. Private Music. 1994.
- "Windham Hill". Archived from the original on November 9, 2006. Retrieved January 1, 2007.
- "The Mozart Effect". epilepsy.org. Retrieved August 7, 2007.
- Yanni; Rensin, David (2002). Yanni in Words. Miramax Books. p. 67. ISBN 1-4013-5194-8.
- Yanni / Billboard albums (WebCite archives of 2012-04-29 and 2012-06-20), Allmusic's listing of Billboard's album data, sorted by peak.
- "Billboard Legacy | Made the Billboard 200 Albums of the Year..." (original and follow-on WebCite archives), Billboard (magazine), viewed and archived 2012-12-16 and 2013-03-13, respectively.
- "Yanni / Chart History / New Age Albums". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016.
- "Yanni / Chart History / Billboard 200". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on April 7, 2016.
- Bekheet, Diaa, "Yanni’s North America Tour, Truth of Touch" (WebCite archive), Voice of America News, Jazz Beat, January 23, 2012.
- Links to Billboard 's "Best of (year) / New Age Albums" for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012.
- "Best of 2011 / New Age Albums" (WebCite archive), Billboard (magazine). Truth of Touch listed at No. 1, Yanni Mexicanisimo at No. 7. Downloaded and archived 2011-12-30.
- "La crónica del "World Without Borders" de Yanni se lanzará en unos días". Reviews New Age. May 29, 2014. Archived from the original on May 30, 2014.
- "El sueño de Yanni verá la luz el próximo 3 de junio (Yanni's dream will be released on June 3)". Reviews New Age. May 31, 2016. Archived from the original on June 1, 2016.
- Allmusic Compilations list for Yanni (WebCite archive of 2014-03-23).