Yao surname in regular script
|Word/name||Henan Fan County or Shandong|
|Variant form(s)||Yao (Mandarin)|
Iao, Iau (Hokkien)
Yao (Chinese: 姚; pinyin: Yáo), also romanized as Yiu in Cantonese, is one of the most ancient Chinese surnames, the "Eight Great Xings of High Antiquity". It is also unique that, along with Jiang 姜 it is still in common use in the modern day. It is listed 101st in the Hundred Family Surnames, and as the 51st most common surname in Mainland China.
- Mandarin: Yao
- Cantonese: Yiu
- Min Nan (Hokkien (Fujian)/Teochew): Iao, Iau, Yeo
- Vietnamese: Diêu
- Korean: Yo
- Japanese: Yō
- Singapore: Yow, Yeo
- Yao Chonghua, the name of Emperor Shun of pre-dynastic China, one of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors.
- Yao Chang, founding emperor of the Later Qin Dynasty.
- Andrew Chi-Chih Yao, a Chinese computer scientist and A.M. Turing Award laureate.
- Jianping Yao, Canadian engineer.
- Yao Ming, a retired Chinese professional basketball player.
- Yao Wenyuan, member of the Gang of Four.
- MC HotDog (born name as Yao Chung-jen), a Taiwanese rap artist known for his use of explicit lyrics in his songs.
- Yao Beina, a famous Chinese singer.
- Yao Chen, a famous Chinese actress.
- Yao Jen-to, Vice Chairperson and Secretary-General of Straits Exchange Foundation of the Republic of China
- Yao Leeh-ter, Political Deputy Minister of Education of the Republic of China (2017–2019)
- Yeow Chai Tiam, Malaysian politician.
Learning of the Chinese culture- the Yao dynasty
|surname Yao. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.This page lists people with the|