Yaren District within Nauru
|• Total||1.5 km2 (0.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||25 m (82 ft)|
Yaren is located in the south of the island. Its area is 1.5 km2 (0.58 sq mi), and its elevation was 4,616 metres (15,144 feet) as of 2007[update]. To the north of Yaren is Buada, to the east is Meneng and to the west is Boe.
Yaren (and sometimes Aiwo) is usually listed as the capital of Nauru though this is incorrect; the republic does not have cities or an official capital. Yaren is accepted by the United Nations as the "main district".
Government and administrative buildings
The following government offices are located in this district:
- the Parliament House
- the earth station
- the administration offices
- the police station
- the fire station
- the National Stadium
- the Australian High Commission and Taiwanese Embassy
- the Nauru International Airport, air terminal, and head office of Nauru Airlines
- the Republic of Nauru
- The Moqua Well is situated in Yaren.
- Kieren Keke (b. 1971), politician and medical doctor
- Charmaine Scotty, politician
- Dominic Tabuna (b. 1980), politician
Media related to Yaren at Wikimedia Commons