Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2018)
|Owner||Miral Asset Management|
|Operated by||Farah Experiences|
Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi (Arabic: ياس وتروورلد أبوظبي) is an Emirati-themed waterpark located on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, the park is home to more than 40 rides, slides and attractions, including Bubble’s Barrel, Rush Rider, and Bandit Bomber which is the longest suspended roller coaster in the Middle East over 550 metres long.
The park is set across more than 15 hectares of land. The park was developed by Aldar Properties and supported by Blackburn Share Holdings.
Its theme is based on an original story about a brave girl named Dana, who went on a journey to retrieve a lost pearl (because of a strong storm) that used to bring prosperity to her village. During her travels, the young hero is supported and guided by animals, such as a dolphin, falcon and camel, while she is also followed by bandits and a snake who wants to retrieve the pearl for themselves. The story ends with her teardrops of innocence falling into an oasis which brings rise to the majestic pearl towering the village, bringing its residents' goodness once again. The theme is obvious in the parks' architecture with its pearl seen from outside the waterpark. All the characters, shops and restaurants are also based on the story.
The waterpark has played host to the World Flowboarding Championships since 2013. The park offers special training sessions to learn to ride the waves on body boards called Yas Flow League.
The waterpark has received a number of awards and accolades. The most recent award picked up was for the "Best New Menu Item" for the Yas Twister ice-cream given by the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions (IAAPA) in November 2017.
Rides, Slides and Attractions
The waterpark's attractions are grouped into four categories: Adrenaline Rush, Exciting Adventures, Moving & Grooving, and Young Fun. The highest rides are Jebel Drop and Hamlool's Humps, and the fastest is Liwa Loop. The Slithers Slides are a collection of six slides and tunnels which are all designed like giant fanged snakes - these use single and double tubes. The park's newest attraction is Cinesplash, a 'water cinema' in which the 'Legend of the Lost Pearl', the theme of the Park is told through an immersive 12-minute movie featuring water and lighting effects.
Awards and Nominations
Since the park’s opening in 2013, it won many awards including the following awards:
- The Leading Edge Award at the World Waterpark Association's Annual Show, in Las Vegas, USA in October 2012.
- Named the “second best waterpark in the world” by the [[Los AngelclsRanking of the World’s Top 20 Waterparks feature in May 2013.
- Won the World Travel Awards award for the Middle East’s Leading Tourist Attraction of the year 2013.
- The Bandit Bomber is the first roller coaster to be incorporated into a waterpark and was ranked amongst the world’s newest, biggest and baddest roller coasters for the summer of 2013, by CNN.
- WWA 2014 Wave Review Award – Best Promotion of the Year
- What’s On Abu Dhabi – Favourite Day Out
- 2012 Leading Edge Award - World Waterpark Association's Annual Show, in Las Vegas, USA - October, 2012
- “Best Waterpark” by the non-profit MENALAC  organization in April 2018.
- Top 10 Water Park in the Middle East 2017 by TripAdvisor Traveler's Choice.
- Theme and Waterpark of the Year given by Mother Baby & Child Magazine for 2016 and Waterpark of the Year for 2017.
- Voted 'Middle East's Leading Water Park' - winner of the World Travel Award 2018
- Voted "Favourite Day Out" and "Favourite Ladies' Night" at the What’s On Awards 2018
- Winner of 2018 "Best Waterpark" in the Middle East by Menalac
- Cleland, Emily (December 17, 2012). "Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi to open in January". thenational.ae. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "About Us - Yas Waterworld". Yas Waterworld. Retrieved 2017-11-13.
- "6 awards for Yas Waterworld Abu Dhabi". The National. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "IAAPA News: IAAPA Announces 2017 Brass Ring Award Winners". www.magnetmail.net. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- "Rides - Yas Waterworld". Yas Waterworld. Retrieved 2017-11-19.
- Abu Dhabi takes home World Waterpark Association’s inaugural Leading Edge Award. Yas Waterworld (2012-10-07). Retrieved on 2015-10-22.
- Photos: 20 best water parks in the world. LA Times (2013-04-30). Retrieved on 2015-10-22.
- Middle East's Leading Tourist Attraction 2013 — World Travel Awards. Worldtravelawards.com. Retrieved on 2015-10-22.
- 2014 winners. wwashow.org
- What's On Awards Abu Dhabi – party, winners – What's On. Whatson.ae (2014-02-03). Retrieved on 2015-10-22.
- "World Waterpark Association's Leading Edge Award" (PDF). World Waterpark Association. 2012.
- SemiColonWeb. "Hotels & Rest - Yas Waterworld is named the Region's Best Waterpark". www.hotelandrest.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Home". Menalac. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Best Water Parks - the Middle East - TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Awards". www.tripadvisor.com. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Yas Waterworld bags Theme & Water Park of the Year award | Read. Online". www.readme.ae. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Mother, Baby & Child Awards 2017". Mother, Baby & Child Awards 2017. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Middle East's Leading Water Park 2018". World Travel Awards. Retrieved 2018-08-07.
- "What's On Abu Dhabi Awards 2018: Here are the winners..." What's On Abu Dhabi. 2018-10-24. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Latest News". Menalac. Retrieved 2018-10-29.