Yash Raj Films
|Founded||Mumbai, Maharashtra in 1970|
|Aditya Chopra (Chairman) Pamela Chopra, Uday Chopra|
Yash Raj Films (YRF) is an Indian entertainment company established by Yash Chopra, an Indian film director and producer who was considered an entertainment mogul in India. His son Aditya Chopra also produces films under this banner.
Yash Chopra started out as an assistant to his brother, B.R.Chopra, and went on to direct 5 very successful films for his brother’s banner - B.R.Films - each of which proved to be a significant milestone in his development as a world class director of blockbusters. These were ‘Dhool Ka Phool’ (Blossom of dust – 1959), ‘Dharmputra’ (Adopted Son – 1961), ‘Waqt’ (Time – 1965) – India’s first true multi-starrer generational family drama, ‘Ittefaq' (Coincidence – 1969) & ‘Aadmi Aur Insaan' (Man and Human – 1969). He has wielded the baton, additionally, for 4 films made by other film companies - ‘Joshila’ (Passionate – 1973), ‘Deewaar' (The Wall – 1975), ‘Trishul' (The Trident –1978) & ‘Parampara’ (Tradition – 1993). But his greatest repertoire of work were the 50 plus films made under the banner that he launched. Yash Raj Films are known for their high quality movies.
Out of these films, he directed 13 himself and these films have defined much of the language of Hindi movies as we know them today – especially the romantic picture. 'Daag' (The Stigma - 1973), 'Kabhi Kabhie' (As Time Goes By - 1976), 'Kaala Patthar' (Coal Mine – 1979), Silsila (The Affair - 1981), Chandni' (Chandni - 1989), Darr (Fear - 1993), Dil To Pagal Hai (The Heart Is Crazy - 1997) and Veer-Zaara (Veer and Zaara - 2004) are some of the highly successful movies which Yash Chopra directed. A Yash Chopra directed movie was anchored in its strong screenplay – but embellished always with gorgeous locations, snow-capped mountains, lakes and rivers.
The corporation of Yash Raj Films
Yash Raj Films has launched its own music label called Yash Raj Music and produces DVDs, videos and VCDs under the Yash Raj Films Home Entertainment label. YRF Home Entertainment has acquired the rights for classic films created by Raj Kapoor and his production company R.K. Films, as well as B.R. Chopra and his production company B.R. Films. In 2006, Yash Raj Films unveiled its new film studio. Since 2007, it has sold its music in digital format through the site along with DVDs and audio CDs. It has also started selling its music on iTunes. In May 2007, it linked with The Walt Disney Company to co-produce animated movies in India.
In 2004, the Hollywood Reporter placed Yash Raj Films at number 27 in a survey of the "Biggest Film Distribution Houses" in the world; it is India's biggest production company as of 2006. Yash Chopra and Aditya Chopra topped the power list of India as according to the February 2005 edition of Filmfare magazine. Yash Raj Films has launched its own merchandise label called YRF Merchandise which offers a range of products embellished with pictures and posters from Yash Raj Films like Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Band Baaja Baraat.
Subsidiaries of YRF are
- YRF Entertainment
- Yash Raj Music
- Yash Raj Home Video
- YRF Television
- Yash Raj Films International
- YRF Store
- Y-Films, a production house created in April 2011 to provide a platform for young talent and innovative marketing.
- Diva'ni, india's first Bollywood inspired fashion label 
In India, YRF has additional offices in Delhi, Jalandhar, Jaipur, Amravati, Indore, Bangalore, Secunderabad, Kolkata, Chennai and Cochin. There are also offices in the United Kingdom, the United States, and the United Arab Emirates.
Yash Raj Studios
Seeing the need of a proper film shooting studio over the years, the company built its dream production studio, Yash Raj Films Studios, in Mumbai city. Yash Raj Studios, built in 2006, is primarily owned by the chairman and founder of the company, Yash Chopra. The first film to be shot in the studio was Fanaa (2006). The studio was created and designed by Aditya Chopra and his then wife, Payal Khanna, and is equipped with high technology shooting equipment and goods. The studio covers 20 acres (81,000 m2) on seven floors and is used to shoot films for the company as well as being rented to other filmmakers and television companies.
Joint venture with Dubai Holdings
Yash Raj Films Pvt Ltd. announced its joint venture with Dubai Infinity Holdings to build an entertainment district in Dubai. The entertainment district will comprise theme park attractions, a movie palace, unique hotels and many other India genre entertainment concepts. The first phase is scheduled to be completed by 2012. All the components of the district would be themed around the Yash Raj Films banner.
Foreign Direct Investment talks in 2007
Yash Raj Films Pvt. Ltd. was rumored to be in discussion with silicon valley based Velocity Group of USA (now known as FUSE Global) a US$10 Billion+ private media fund controlled by and Indian origin founder and chairman Keyur Patel for a $500M investment potential in the slate funding. Fuse has been strong investor in media in India and Hollywood and has always remained behind some of the biggest media deals globally. To-date there is no word whether there was a transaction that was crafted given the private nature of both companies.
Films produced and distributed by Yash Raj Films
- "Yash Raj Films digitises 'Dhoom: 3' to combat piracy". Indian Express. 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Yash Raj Films enter K-town - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "YRF responds to Dhoom 3 parody - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-12-23. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Dhoom 3: 10 completely fake spoilers from the film". Ibnlive.in.com. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Walt Disney Studios Teams Up with Yash Raj Films to Create Computer-Animated Feature Films". Movieweb.com. 2007-06-11. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Yash Raj Films Office Contact Address, Phone Number, Email, Website | Customer Care Phone Number". Customercarephonenumber.in. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "Yash Raj Films Pvt Ltd.: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Yash Raj Films Pvt Ltd.: Private Company Information - Economic Times". economictimes.com. 2007-12-18.
- Official website
- Yash Raj Films at the Internet Movie Database
- Yash Raj Films on Facebook
- Yash Raj Films on Twitter
- Yash Raj Films on Instagram