|Born||25 February 1953
Takatsuki, Osaka Prefecture, Japan
|Awards||Agency for Cultural Affairs Media Arts Festival Grand Prize (Manga Division, 1997)|
Yasuko Sakata 坂田 靖子 is a manga artist who belongs to the Post Year 24 Group. She was born on 25 February 1953 in Osaka, Japan. She now lives in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture. Her official debut was with the work Saikon Kyousou Kyoku 再婚狂騒曲, published in Hana to Yume in 1975. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, she was involved in the yaoi dōjinshi movement, having co-coined the term "yaoi" with Akiko Hatsu. One of Sakata's dōjinshi, Loveri, was amongst the very first to be described as "yaoi". Her best known works are Jikan wo Warerani, Basil Shi no Yuuga na Seikatsu (The Elegant Life of Mr Basil), about a 19th-century British aristocrat, and Yamiyo no Hon. She won the Agency for Cultural Affairs Media Arts Festival Grand Prize in the Manga Division in 1997. Most of her work is short stories - as of 2003, one catalogue listed over 40 of her stories. The type of stories she tells include traditional Japanese ghost stories, science fiction, mysteries, and Western and Chinese stories. She is marked for her talent at "casually portraying" everyday life.
- 再婚狂騒曲 Saikon Kyousou Kyoku
- 闇月王 Yami Gatsuoo
- バジル氏の優雅な生活 Basil Shi no Yuuga na Seikatsu (The Elegant Life of Mr Basil)
- マーガレットとご主人の底抜け珍道中 maagaretto togo shujin no sokonuke chindouchuu
- チューくんとハイちゃん chuu-kun to hai chan
- Masanao Amano, Julius Wiedemann (2004). Manga Design. Taschen. pp. 242–245. ISBN 978-3-8228-2591-4.
- Kotani Mari, foreword to Saitō Tamaki (2007) "Otaku Sexuality" in Christopher Bolton, Istvan Csicsery-Ronay Jr., and Takayuki Tatsumi ed., page 223 Robot Ghosts and Wired Dreams University of Minnesota Press ISBN 978-0-8166-4974-7 "Around 1980, the female manga artists Sakata Yasuko and Hatsu Akiko coined this word to describe the male-male sex manga they were publishing in the magazine Rappori."
- SAKATA Box - Official website (Japanese)
|This biographical article about a manga artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|