Yatra (2019 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Mahi V Raghav|
|Produced by||Vijay Chilla|
Shashi Devi Reddy
|Written by||Mahi V. Raghav|
|Edited by||A. Sreekar Prasad|
70mm Entertainments, Shiva Meka
|Language||Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam|
|Box office||est. ₹14.30 crore|
Yatra (English: Journey) is a 2019 Indian film which was released in Telugu, Tamil and Malayalam. It is a biographical film, based on the padayatra of Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy, who served as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh from May 2004 to June 2009 representing Indian National Congress. The film produced by Vijay Chilla, Shashi Devi Reddy under 70mm Entertainments and directed by Mahi V Raghav. It stars Mammootty in the lead role as Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy and music composed by K. Principal photography commenced on 20 June 2018 in Hyderabad.
- Mammootty as Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy
- Jagapathi Babu as Y. S. Raja Reddy (Cameo)
- Suhasini Maniratnam as Sabitha Indra Reddy
- Ashrita Vemuganti as Y. S. Vijayamma
- Rao Ramesh as K. V. P. Ramachandra Rao
- Anasuya Bharadwaj as Gowru Charitha Reddy
- Sachin Khedekar as Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Posani Krishna Murali as Yadlapati Venkatarao
- Prudhvi Raj as Sujaya Krishna Ranga Rao
- Vijayachander as Mandipalli Narayana Reddy
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Tulla Devender Goud
- Jeeva as Kinjarapu Yerran Naidu
- Thotapalli Madhu as V. Hanumantha Rao
- Vinod Kumar as K. Chennakesava Reddy
- Nagineedu as Telapalli Raghavayya
- Nassar as Teacher Venkatappa
- Surya as Doctor
- Dil Ramesh as Veerappa
- Mahesh Achanta as Obulesh
- Sanjay Swaroop as D.C.P.
- Ravi Kale as Henchman
- Chatrapathi Sekhar as Farmer
- Kalyani as Worker
The music is composed by K, while the lyrics are written by Sirivennela Sitaramasastri. The first single "Samara Shankham" was released on 2 September 2018 on the anniversary of Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy's death.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Samara Shankham"||Sirivennela Sitaramasastri||Kaala Bhairava||3:40|
|2.||"Rajanna Ninnapagalara"||Sirivennela Sitaramasastri||Vandemataram Srinivas||3:21|
|3.||"Pallello Kala Undhi"||Sirivennela Sitaramasastri||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam||4:00|
|4.||"Mandhito Patugaa"||Sirivennela Sitaramasastri||Saicharan Bhasakaruni||2:41|
|5.||"Nee Raka Kosam"||Sirivennela Sitaramasastri||Shankar Mahadevan||4:21|
|6.||"Maruginava Rajanna"||Penchal Das||Penchal Das||3:22|
By early January 2018, the producers Vijay Chilla and Shashi Devireddy under their banner 70MM Entertainments had registered the title Yatra, while director Mahi V. Raghav was at the final phase of scripting.
Director Mahi V. Raghav said Mammootty was the first choice to play the role of Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy, but it took nearly five months to bring him on board. In April 2018, Posani Krishna Murali was chosen to play YSR's personal assistant Sureedu. In May, Hindi actor Sachin Khedekar was selected to play former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N. Bhaskara Rao, while Rao Ramesh was chosen to play K. V. P. Ramachandra Rao, a close associate of Reddy. In June, Suhasini Maniratnam was cast to portray Sabitha Indra Reddy, a sister figure to Reddy and the first woman Home Minister in Andhra Pradesh, while television actress Anasuya Bharadwaj was reported to play a politician from Kurnool district. In July, Jagapathi Babu was selected to feature Y. S. Raja Reddy, YSR's father.
Hemanth Kumar of Firstpost gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Yatra feels like just its title. The route is long and you are moved to tears at times, but without any major twists or turns that leave you in awe of the whole journey".
Karthik Kumar of Hindustan Times gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Mammootty’s docudrama is at its best when it focuses on the padayatra, devoid of any major twists and turns that usually leave you in awe".
Sify gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Political movies work more if you have a similar political bent".
Venkat Arikatla Great Andhra gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "More than politics, the emotional sequences work out well for all".
Yatra collected ₹5 crore in the first five days. The film, which grossed a total of ₹14.3 crore worldwide against a budget of ₹12 crore, performed poorly at the box office. It's worldwide distributor's share was ₹3.81 crore.
- Nirmal Narayanan (13 September 2018). "Mammootty's Yatra release date revealed". International Business Times. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Kavirayani, Suresh (30 December 2019). "Tollywood 2019". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 May 2020.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (22 December 2019). "Tollywood Box office report - 2019: Highest grossing Telugu movies of the year". International Business Times. Retrieved 24 December 2019.
- "Yatra (Review)". Idlebrain.
- "Mammootty plays YS Rajasekhara Reddy in upcoming Telugu biopic Yatra, directed by Mahi Raghavg". Firstpost. 6 July 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- Dundoo, Sangeetha Devi (8 February 2019). "Yatra: The defining march". The Hindu.
- Vyas (1 March 2019). "Yatra Closing Box Office Collections Report". The Hans India.
- "Twitter / Account Suspended". twitter.com.
- "Families take sting out of biopics?". The Hans India.
- Neeshita Nyayapati (8 July 2018). "Powerful teaser of Mahi V Raghav and Mammootty's 'Yatra' released!". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Yatra song Samara Shankham is about YSR Reddy's famous walkathon". Indian Express. 2 September 2018. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- "Mahi V Raghav to direct biopic on YSR". The Times of India.
- Hemanth Kumar C R (22 March 2018). "'Mammootty was my first choice to play YSR': Director Mahi interview on upcoming biopic". The News Minute.
- "is Posani right one to play expressionless ysr aide". Ntv. 12 April 2018. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- Vyas (5 May 2018). "Bollywood Star In YSR Biopic Yatra". The Hans India. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- Vyas (14 May 2018). "Rao Ramesh Roped In For KVP Role In YSR Biopic". The Hans India. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- SURESH KAVIRAYANI (20 June 2018). "Suhasini to play Sabitha Indra Reddy". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "YSR biopic: Anasuya Bharadwaj turns politician". India Today. 30 June 2018. Retrieved 18 September 2018.
- "Yatra trailer: Mammootty nails the role of YSR Reddy". The Indian Express. 7 January 2019.
- "Yatra Movie Trailer (Telugu) - Mammootty - YSR Biopic". 70 mm Entertainments on YouTube.
- "Kumbalangi Nights becomes 2019's first Mollywood's blockbuster; Yatra, Dev fail to create impact at box-office- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 23 February 2019.
- "Yatra movie review: Mammootty tries hard to keep the journey worth rooting for in a lacklustre political drama". Firstpost. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Yatra movie review: Mammootty is convincing as YSR". TheIndianExpress. 9 February 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Yatra movie review: Mammootty's political drama is worth rooting for in spite of flaws". HindustanTimes. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Yatra review: Mammootty is convincing as YSR". Sify. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Yatra Review: The Rise Of Mass Leade". GreatAndhra. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- "Yatra box office collection Day 8: Mammootty film is a winner". India Today. 16 February 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2019.
- Reddy, B. Dasarath (11 April 2019). "Telugu political biopics struggle to make an impact at the box office". Business Standard. Retrieved 15 May 2020.