|Yefim G. Shubentsov|
|Born||June 25, 1940|
|Other names||The Russian, The "Mad" Russian|
Yefim G. Shubentsov (born June 25, 1940) is an acclaimed "eraser" of addictions, depression, anxiety and phobias. He is especially well known for his work with smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics and overeaters. Celebrities who say they have had success with his treatment include Billy Joel, Drew Barrymore, David Arquette, Courteney Cox Arquette, and Amy Tan. He does not advertise and relies only on word of mouth for new clients. According to Shubentsov less than 1% of his over 150,000 clients have needed to return for further help.
He says the basis for his methodology is first of all commonsensical behavior modification advice, and secondly a technique he calls the manipulation of "bio-energy", which he says anyone can learn; detailed instructions are in his 1999 book "Cure Your Cravings," co-authored with Barbara Gordon. He claims that he is not using any mystic, New Age, religious or 'magical' special powers or hypnosis. Scientists at the Harvard University Health Services under Dr. Douglas Powell conducted a six-month observation of his techniques and the results, and concluded that they work although they don't know how.
Shubentsov was born in Russia in 1940. He worked as a commercial artist there, as well as serving in the military. He says that he was invited to take part in a government-conducted scientific experiment with "bioenergetics," when his natural abilities with it were discovered and used to help treat medical patients. Unhappy under the Communist government of the Soviet Union, in 1979 he defected to the U.S. with his wife and son. In 1980 he started his practice in Brookline, Massachusetts, originally for physical pain and then gradually shifting his focus to cravings and mental health.
References / Articles
- FamilySearch.org: United States Public Records, 1970-2009 - Click on: https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AYefim~%20%2Bsurname%3AShubentsov~%20%2Bbirth_place%3ARussia~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1940-1940~%20%2Bresidence_place%3AMassachusetts~%20%2Bresidence_year%3A1980-2016~
- The Harvard Experiments: Something is happening, and they don't know what it is
- Flow Living: Can Someone Erase Your Addictions, Cravings, and Fears?
- Elle Magazine: The Touch: How does Yefim Shubentsov erase your cravings?
- US Magazine: Puff Daddy: Celebrities -- and thousands of others -- flock to Yefim Shubentsov, aka the "Mad Russian," to help them kick the habit
- The Boston Globe: Could the Mad Russian Cure My Heartache?
- Hopkinton News: Quitting Smoking This Year?
- The Experts Guide to Doing Things Faster: Quit Smoking
- Global HR: Yefim Shubentsov named on of six influential spiritual leaders
- Boston Magazine: A Brookline healer is attracting celebrities and scientists alike
- Harvard Crimson: The Mad Russian(s)
- Natural Health: Healer
- Boston Herald: Mad Russian offers nicotine cure to his `Friends'
- USA Today: Celebs go 'mad' to stop smoking
- Personal Life Media: Yefim Shubentsov with zero advertising has seen 100,000 clients / Radio Interview
- Salon: The Eraser: Why is Hollywood flocking to Yefim Shubentsov?
- ABC 20/20: Seeing Is Believing, November 6, 1997
- Boston Globe: Confessions of a Conflicted Smoker / Healing simple for `Mad Russian'