Yeh Saali Zindagi
|Yeh Saali Zindagi|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sudhir Mishra|
|Produced by||Prakash Jha|
Aditi Rao Hydari
|Music by||Nishat Khan|
|Cinematography||Sachin Kumar Krishnan|
|Distributed by||Cine Raas Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.|
|Budget||₹ 80 million|
|Box office||₹ 107.5 million|
Yeh Saali Zindagi (lit. This damn life) is a 2011 Hindi crime thriller film directed by Sudhir Mishra. The film stars Irrfan Khan, Chitrangada Singh, Arunoday Singh and Aditi Rao Hydari in the lead roles. The film was released on 4 February 2011 to positive critical acclaim and was moderately successful at the box office.
Arun (Irrfan Khan) is a Chartered Accountant who works for Mr. Mehta (Saurabh Shukla) and helps him run his illegal business. Arun is in love with Priti (Chitrangada Singh), but she falls for Shyam (Vipul Gupta), who was introduced to her by Arun.
After Badey, a gangster of Delhi (Yashpal Sharma), falls out of favour of Minister Verma (Anil Sharma), he is sent to jail and humiliated and beaten everyday on orders of the Minister. Satbir (Sushant Singh) is a dishonest cop who works for Badey and helps him in the jail. Kuldeep (Arunoday Singh), who is also in jail with Badey is released and goes to his wife Shanti (Aditi Rao Hydari). Badey's brother, Chhotey (Prashant Narayanan) and his gang of members, Kuldeep, Tony, Chacha, Guddu and others plan Badey's release by kidnapping Verma's to be son-in-law, Shyam and daughter, Anjali (Madhvi Singh). Things do not go as planned and they end up kidnapping Shyam and his girlfriend Priti. To ensure Shyam's safety, Priti agrees to liaise between Verma and the gangsters, not knowing that Arun had been following them since the abduction. She meets Anjali, Verma and Shyam's father Singhania (Nasser Abdullah). However, Mr. Verma, who comes to know about Shyam's affair with Priti refuses to negotiate Badey's release. Arun, in the meantime, transfers illegal and hawala money into the bank accounts of Verma's son and threatens him with leaking this information to media if he does not ensure Badey's release. However, it comes to light that Chhotey wants to get Badey out only to get details of his bank accounts and plans to kill him. Learning of this, Badey gives the details of his foreign bank accounts to Kuldeep.
Upon being rescued from the prison, Chhotey unexpectedly comes from Georgia and meets Badey. In the meantime, police reach the spot and in the cross fire, Badey escapes from Chhotey and is helped by Kuldeep and his gang. However, he gets shot in the back and later commits suicide. With Badey dead and Chhotey looking for him, Kuldeep decides to leave the country and asks Shyam's father for a ransom of ₹ 15 crores. Priti, under the guise of calling Mr. Singhania, calls Arun. Arun reaches the spot and tells Priti that he transferred ₹ 170 million into her account which should be used by her to free Shyam and herself and live a happy life. Priti, now realizes that she actually loves Arun.
Priti brings the money to a port from where Kuldeep plans to escape. Chhotey also reaches there, but Satbir double crosses him and Kuldeep kills Chhotey to avenge the murder of his father. However, one of the bullets hits a railing and ricochets and hits Arun. The gangsters leave the spot and Priti confesses to Arun that she loves him.
- Irrfan Khan as Arun
- Chitrangada Singh as Priti
- Arunoday Singh as Kuldeep
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Shanti
- Saurabh Shukla as Mehta
- Sushant Singh as Inspector Satbir
- Vipin Sharma as Tony
- Yashpal Sharma as Badey
- Prashant Narayanan as Chhotey
- Vipul Gupta as Shyam Singhania
- Tarun Shukla as Guddu
- Madhvi Singh as Anjali Verma, Minister Verma's daughter
- Nasser Abdullah as Singhania, Shyam's father
- Kamal Chandra as Jija
- Aditya Bhattacharya
- Anil Sharma as Verma, Minister
- Masood Akhtar
- Manu Rishi Chaddha
Sukanya Verma from Rediff.com rated it 3.5/5 calling it a "A twisted entertainer" and further stated that "Yeh Saali Zindagi rocks, it's wonderfully unrestrained and entertaining with its mouthful of zingers penned by Mishra and Manu Rishi".
Blessy Chettiar from the DNA also gave it 3 out of 5 saying that "Yeh Saali Zindagi, is chaotic but enjoyable, just like its hatke title Mishra presents a thrilling and hatke account of two men and the lengths they go to for love".
Mayank Shekhar from Hindustan Times gave the film 3 out of 5. On the review aggregator website ReviewGang, the film has received a 6.5/10 rating. On Rotten Tomatoes website Yeh Saali Zindagi has received a 75% fresh rating.
Yeh Saali Zindagi opened well at the box office scoring ₹45.0 million net over its first weekend. It remained steady throughout its first week grossing ₹75 million net. The film saw a huge drop in its second week, due to the release of Patiala House and grossed just ₹3 crore net. It finished its lifetime collections at ₹107.5 million net. It was declared "Flop" by Boxoffice-India.
|Yeh Saali Zindagi|
|Soundtrack album by Nishat Khan|
|1.||"Dil Dar Ba Dar"||Shilpa Rao & Javed Ali||5:54|
|2.||"Ishq Tere Jalwe"||Shilpa Rao & Javed Ali||5:37|
|3.||"Kaise Kahein Alvida"||Javed Ali||4:15|
|6.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Kunal Ganjawala & Shilpa Rao||5:01|
|7.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi (Bonus Song)"||Abhishek Ray||3:28|
|8.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi (Female Version)"||Sunidhi Chauhan & Shilpa Rao||5:02|
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi: Cast and Crew details". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Saat Khoon Maaf Poor Opening Patiala House Dull First Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "It's Yeh Saali Zindagi". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 January 2011.
- "Release Dates". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi gets rave reviews". Oneindia.in. 5 February 2011.
- "Times of India – Yeh Saali Zindagi Review". Times of India. 3 February 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi review: A twisted entertainer". Rediff.com. 3 February 2011.
- "Masand: 'Yeh Saali Zindagi' surprises you". IBN Live. 3 February 2011.
- "Kaveree Bamzai – Yeh Saali Zindagi review". India Today. 3 February 2011.
- "Review: Yeh Saali Zindagi is chaotic but enjoyable". DNA India. 3 February 2011.
- "Mayank Shekhar's review: Yeh Saali Zindagi". Hindustan Times. 3 February 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Reviews". Review Gang. 3 February 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi – Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Picks Up at the Box Office". Box Office India. 7 February 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Has Steady Second Weekend". Box Office India. 15 February 2011.
- "Saat Khoon Maaf Poor Opening Patiala House Dull First Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- "All India 2011 (Figures in INR Crore)". Box Office India.