|Population||534 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Yarra Ranges|
Yellingbo is a town in Victoria, Australia, 48 km east from Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the Shire of Yarra Ranges. At the 2016 census, Yellingbo had a population of 534.
The town formed around a store opened by James Claxton in 1883 next to Woori Yallock Creek, and was initially known as "Claxton". When Claxton died his brother-in-law Henry Parslow and nephew Christopher John Parslow continued to run the store, and built a bridge over the Yarra River there, whence the town was known as "Parslow's Bridge". The post office opened a receiving office around 1902 as "Parslow's" and a full post office in 1927 with Christopher Parslow as postmaster. In August 1946 it was renamed "Yellingbo" after the last Aboriginal resident, his name literally meaning "today" in the Woiwurrung language. The post office was closed on 23 February 1991.
The town today
Yellingbo's town area contains a public hall, CFA, general store and tennis courts, as well as the Waterfall Art Gallery. The primary school closed in 2015.
Nearby is the Yellingbo Nature Conservation Reserve, which contains three of the state of Victoria's emblems: The last remaining wild population of the state bird, the helmeted honeyeater (Lichenostomus melanops cassidix). The geographically isolated state animal, Leadbeater's possum (Gymnobelideus leadbeateri). Finally, common-pink heath (Epacris impressa) is the state floral emblem.
- "2016 Census QuickStats Yellingbo". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Kasel, Sabine (2001). "Human and Natural Impacts on the Upper Yarra Region with Reference to the Yellingbo Nature Conservation Reserve: a Review". The Victorian Naturalist. 118 (4): 127–141, page 129.
- "The A-Z story of Melbourne's suburbs: Yellingbo". Herald Sun. Melbourne. 7 January 2014. Archived from the original on 7 January 2014.
- "Post Office List - Parslow". Phoenix Auctions History. Retrieved 10 February 2021.
- "Post Office List - Yellingbo". Phoenix Auctions History. Retrieved 10 February 2021.
- Google Street View- Yellingbo- Parslows Road
- Helmeted Honeyeater (ABC - George Negus Tonight) 1 September 2004
- Fact Sheet - Helmeted Honeyeater (Zoology Victoria)