The yellow-fronted canary was formerly placed in the genus Serinus, but phylogenetic analysis using mitochondrial and nuclear DNA sequences found that the genus was polyphyletic. The genus was therefore split and a number of species including the yellow-fronted canary were moved to the resurrected genus Crithagra Swainson 1827.
This bird is a resident breeder in Africa south of the Sahara Desert. Its habitat is open woodland and cultivation. It nests in trees, laying three or four eggs in a compact cup nest. It has been introduced to the Hawaiian Islands, where it is found on western Hawaii, southeastern Oahu and Molokai.
The yellow-fronted canary is a common, gregarious seedeater. It is 11–13 cm in length. The adult male has a green back and brown wings and tail. The underparts and rump are yellow, and the head is yellow with a grey crown and nape and a black malar stripe. The female is similar, but with a weaker head pattern and duller underparts. Juveniles are greyer than the female, especially on the head.
Its song is a warbled zee-zeree-chereeo.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Serinus mozambicus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Zuccon, Dario; Prŷs-Jones, Robert; Rasmussen, Pamela C.; Ericson, Per G.P. (2012). "The phylogenetic relationships and generic limits of finches (Fringillidae)" (PDF). Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution. 62 (2): 581–596. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2011.10.002. PMID 22023825.
- Gill, Frank; Donsker, David (eds.). "Finches, euphonias". World Bird List Version 5.2. International Ornithologists' Union. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- Swainson, William (1827). "On several forms in ornithology not hitherto defined". Zoological Journal. 3: 348.
- Hawaii Audubon Society (2005). Hawaii's Birds (6th ed.). Honolulu: Hawaii Audubon Society. ISBN 1889708003. OCLC 64201016.
- Birds of The Gambia by Barlow, Wacher and Disley, ISBN 1-873403-32-1
- Finches and Sparrows by Clement, Harris and Davis, ISBN 0-7136-8017-2
- Media related to Crithagra mozambica at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Crithagra mozambica at Wikispecies
- Yellow-fronted canary - Species text in The Atlas of Southern African Birds.