Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
|Yeovil District Hospital|
|Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Yeovil, Somerset, England|
|Hospital type||District General|
It provides acute care for a population of about 180,000, people living in South Somerset, North and West Dorset, and parts of Mendip. The hospital admits around 30,000 inpatients or day cases each year and treats more than 90,000 people in the outpatient appointments. Approximately 40,000 people are treated in Accident and Emergency and 1,300 babies are born in the Maternity Unit each year.
The tower block was built in the 1960s. Since 2000 it has been refurbished with a new coronary care unit, intensive care and private patient ward at a cost of £9.3 million.
The trust set up a joint venture, Southwest Pathology Services, with Taunton and Somerset NHS Foundation Trust and Integrated Pathology Partnerships in 2012. All routine pathology, apart from histopathology, is now performed at a separate site which also handles GP tests. Essential service laboratories are established in the hospitals for urgent tests. Turnround times for both GP and hospital tests has improved and costs have been reduced. 
In December 2014 the Trust established a 15 year “strategic estate partnership” to fund and manage a new “health campus” with construction companies Interserve and Prime. The £70 million deal will enable the Trust to expand the number of beds for patients with dementia, create a GP practice, a nursing home and a retail pharmacy and to relocate its day surgery service onto the campus.
South Somerset Symphony Programme
It set up a subsidiary company called Symphony Healthcare Services in 2016, which took over the running of three small GP practices with a combined registered list of 12,500 in March 2016. Symphony is also forming a partnership with South Somerset Primary Healthcare which will become an accountable care organisation managing an outcomes based budget for the 120,000 population of South Somerset. The programme was reported to have reduced emergency hospital admissions by 30% by focussing intensive support on the 4% of patients with most complex needs.
- "General Information". Yeovil District Hospital. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Yeovil District Hospital". Provelio. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Yeovil District Hospital, Yeovil". Dr Foster Healthcare. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "The benefits of a joint venture for pathology". Health Service Journal. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 29 October 2016.
- "Yeovil signs estate partnership deal to create 'health campus'". Health Service Journal. 14 November 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "NHS 'needs telecoms-style revolution'". Belfast Telegraph. 2 January 2017. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- "Vanguard FT's company to take over GP practices". Health Service Journal. 24 March 2015. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- Clews, Mary-Louise (8 December 2016). "Driving Forward". The Commissioning Review (16).