Yerevan State Medical University
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Երեվանի Մխիթար Հերացու անվան Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան|
|Rector||Armen A. Muradyan|
On 31 January 1920, during the First Republic of Armenia, the People's University of Armenia was opened in Alexandropol, with the presence of prime minister Alexander Khatisian and minister of culture and public education Nikol Aghbalian. In October of the same year, a decision was passed by then-minister of education Gevorg Ghazarian to establish the faculty of medicine in the university. However, due to political circumstances, the plan was never fulfilled and Armenia became a republic in December 1920.
In 1922, the medical faculty of Yerevan was founded by the government of Armenia.
As of 2016, the university has six faculties:
- Faculty of General Medicine
- Faculty of Paediatrics
- Faculty of Public Health
- Faculty of Stomatology
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Military Medicine
The section of International Students' Education of the YSMU offers classes to foreign students in Armenian, Russian and English languages at the following faculties: General Medicine, Stomatology, and Pharmacy.
The university is also home to the Postgraduate and Continuing Education section.
Ranking and reputation
Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU) is a highly reputed university in the world. It occupies an honorable place in the WHO (World Health Organization) directory of medical schools. It is a state-run nonprofit organisation of best repute made for advancement of health care training in the country and worldwide.
Alumni are spread all over world including USA, Britain, Germany, Maldives, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, Canada, India, Iran, etc.
It is a leading government medical university in Armenia. The university is about a century old. It is the only university in world that has 27 full-fledged hospitals associated with it. Different faculty have full-fledged 5-6 floor hospital. Arabkir and Muratsan hospitals are multi-speciality paediatric hospitals with various superspecialities like pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Nephrology, Pediatric Endocrinology, Pediatric Gynecology, Pediatric Neurology, Genetic centre, Neonatology, Adolescent care enter. Teaching methodology is modern and one-to-one teaching with regular feedback. The university is part of Bologna Treaty for European union.
First hospital for state of art Radiology centre. Norqmash Hospital and Erubuni for Orthopedics and Traumatology.
YSMU established direct partnership in cooperation agreements with about 20 universities around the globe, including a number of leading universities such as Boston University, Columbia University, Philadelphia University, etc. In the framework of these cooperation agreements, various academic programs, student exchange and joint research activities are implemented.
Faculty of Paediatrics Muratsan hospital
Head of the clinic: Nune Baghdasaryan George, MD, associate professor
Since its establishment the head of clinic has been MD, Associate Professor Nune Baghdasaryan.
The main activities of the clinic are:
- Highly qualified and specialized medical care to adolescents as well as to children of an early and elder age with acute and chronic diseases (with the exception for cases of intestinal as well as unique and especially dangerous infections);
- Disease diagnosis, maintenance and treatment of children with inaccurate diagnosis;
- Medical personnel’s preparation, training and qualification improvement;
- Scientific and medical activities.
The clinic of paediatrics is one of the Republican leading clinics, where highly qualified Paediatricians, Nephrologists, Cardioreumatologist, Gastroenterologists, Neonatologist, Allergist, Nutritionist are working. Some of the specialists are fluent in English and French languages. Armenians and foreign citizens are examined and treated in the clinic.
For patients’ examination and effective treatment the clinic uses modern diagnostic and therapeutic capabilities of "Muratsan" hospital complex. Patients’ management is implemented according to modern guidelines.
The clinic performs following observations: Clinical, metabolic, functional, microbial, immunological, visual, pathologic, genetic, molecular.
The clinic is an academic base of YSMU’s Department of Paediatrics No.1.
The clinic implements diagnosis and treatment of the following diseases:
- Early and elder age children and adolescents pathology.
- Urinary system diseases
- Urinary system infections (cystitis, pyelonephritis, urosepsis),
nephritic syndrome, glomerulopathy, tubulointerstitial diseases, urine stones disease, chronic kidney disease and its complications, water electrolyte and acid-base balances’ deviations, lower urinary tract dysfunction, urinary incontinence, enuresis, neonatal nephrology, renal and renovascular hypertension metabolic bone diseases (rickets / osteomalacia, osteoporosis, osteogenesis imperfecta, osteopetrosis, hypophosphatasia, etc.)
- phosphorus-calcium exchange disorders
- ezofagogastroduodenal zone diseases
- hepatobiliary system diseases
- pancreas diseases, inflammatory diseases of the intestine
- malabsorption syndrome
- chronic constipation, Wilson's disease
- storage diseases (glycogenosis)
- acute rheumatic fever
- infective endocarditis
- juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- juvenile spondiloarthritis
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- systemic scleroderma juvenile dermatomyositis
- systemic [visceral] angiitis
- reactive arthritis
- bronchial asthma
- allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis
- atopic dermatitis
- acute and chronic urticaria
- drug allergy
- insects allergy
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
- Bone and mineral exchange disorders
- Digestive disorders
- cardioreumatological diseases
- allergological diseases
Clinic staff show considerable assistance to the practical health care, actively taking part in physicians improving courses and professional. Doors open days in RA regions and in Artsakh.
Clinical research activities are basics of molecular medicine in pediatrics, children's growth and development disorders, the main risk factors for the development of children's thickness, connective tissue dysplasia, functional disorders of the liver and pancreas at different somatic lesions, mucoviscidosis pulmonary aggravations’ early markers research.
The clinic of Pediatrics No.2 cooperates with:
- Children's Health Research Center (Russia, Moscow)
- Pediatric Clinic of Mannheim University Hospital (Germany)
- Jönköping city hospital (Sweden)
- Italian National Health Care Institute’s Center of Rare Diseases
Co-organized scientific meetings
- 4th Young Medics International Conference, September 20–23, Yerevan
- OMI/FARFAA Satellite Symposium "CARDIOLOGY", June 23–24, 2006, Yerevan
- Noble Days-Eminent Nobel laureates giving lecture on past present and future medical advancement.
- Ivan Gevorkian, prominent Armenian surgeon and scientist
- Vahan Artsruni, Armenian rock musician, singer, composer and artist
- Bella Kocharyan, wife of former Armenian President Robert Kocharyan
- Garik Martirosyan, Neurologist, entertainer, TV host, actor, comedian and singer
- Parounak Zelveian, president of Armenian Medical Association
- Zhora Harutyunyan, writer and playwright
- Bharath Reddy, Indian cardiologist and film actor
- Administrator. "Երևանի պետական բժշկական համալսարանի համառոտ պատմությունը". Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Administrator. "Faculties". Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Administrator. "Dean's Office of International Students' Education". Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- Administrator. "Faculty of Postgraduate and Continuing Education". Retrieved 21 August 2016.