Yerevan State Medical University
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Երեվանի Մխիթար Հերացու անվան Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան|
|Rector||Armen A. Muradyan|
Yerevan Mkhitar Heratsi State Medical University (YSMU, Armenian: Երեվանի Մխիթար Հերացու անվան Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան), is the leading medical university in Armenia. It is located in the capital Yerevan.
- 1 History
- 2 Campuses
- 3 Organization and Administration
- 4 Academics
- 5 People
- 6 References
- 7 External links
On 31 January 1920, during the First Republic of Armenia, the People's University of Armenia opened in Alexandropol, with the presence of prime minister Alexander Khatisian and minister of culture and public education Nikol Aghbalian. In October of the same year, a decision was passed by then-minister of education Gevorg Ghazarian to establish the faculty of medicine in the university. However, due to political circumstances, the plan was never fulfilled. Armenia became a republic in December 1920.
In 1920, the medical faculty of Yerevan was founded by the government of Armenia.
Medical University’s campus is located in the center of the city, Koryun street. It has four buildings: Main, Administrative, Laboratory, and Anatomical. 
YSMU occupies two hospital complexes, where students get valuable, real-life experience. "Heratsi" N1 hospital complex and "Muratsan" University Hospital provide students an opportunity to get experience in clinics, polyclinics, laboratories and diagnostic centers.
The dormitory is located nearby so that students will be able to get to the university easy and fast. All rooms are equipped with the necessary accessories. There is a cafeteria, computer lab, and other available rooms for reading, meetings, discussions.
Organization and Administration 
The management of the Yerevan State Medical University is carried out by the legislation of the Republic of Armenia and the Charter of the University, on the basis of self-governance, in conjunction with the principles of sole management and collegiality.
The university's governing bodies are the Council, the Rector, the Scientific Council, and the Rectorate. The council is composed of 32 members and is formed of the University professors, students, representatives of the Armenian government, the Ministry of Education and Science. The primary objectives of the University Council are the selection of the university rector, the university's development as well as the major directions of international cooperation, with the rector's presentation. The Board also debates and approves the University budget. 
Currently, YSMU has six faculties: School of Medicine, School of Dentistry, School of Pharmacology, School of Military Medicine, School of Public Health, School of Postgraduate and Continuing Education. The chair of each faculty is the dean; the faculty committees manage each of them. The dean reports to the vice-Rector, who in turn reports to the rector. The current rector is Armen Muradyan, and the Chair of the Board is Armen Ashotyan. 
Yerevan State Medical University is admitting student in the following specialties: Medicine, Stomatology, Pharmacy, Medical Work in the Armed Forces, Health Care, Stomatology.
The University accepts applicants who have secondary (full), secondary vocational education with Armenian and foreign citizenship. There is no age limitation. Applicants should give entrance exams of Physics (written), "Chemistry" (Written), "Biology" (written). They have a right to choose 2 of the three stated subjects. The results of admission examinations are confirmed by the decision of the Admissions Committee.
Foreign students should give a qualification exam and submit the results with other required documents to the university.
The duration of the continuous and integrated educational program for bachelor’s degree is six years in general medicine and military medical faculties and five years in the dental faculty. The duration of the Bachelor's Qualification Education Program is four years in the Faculty of Pharmacy.
Master degree is offered in the following specializations:
- Public Health and Health Care
- Medical work in the armed forces
The duration of the Master's degree program in "Medical Work," "Medical Work in the Armed Forces" is for two years; in "Public Health and Public Health" is 1,5 years, and is one year in Pharmacy.
For further specialization, the student has the following options for Post-Graduate studies: internship, clinical residency and continuous vocational training (EMS). The duration of the internship is 11 months and is carried out in "General Practice Physician," "Stomatologist" and "Pharmacy" according to relevant programs. Graduates of Yerevan State Medical University are provided with an opportunity to skip internship and specialize in clinical residency programs.
The Foundation is not only a major center of education and health but also has a great scientific potential, which can become a source for promotion for fund’s further development. Foundation’s faculty has 689 employees with a scientific degree, including 165 doctors of sciences, 524 candidates. As of December 2016, 28 post-graduate students and 96 applicants implement research activities in the fund.
Cooperation and International Relations 
Yerevan State Medical University has a membership in many international organizations, such as:
- Association of Dental Education in Europe (ADEE)
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- International Federation of Medical Students Association (IFMSA)
- International Pharmaceutical Students Federation (IPSF)
- International Federation of Dental Students Association (IFDSA)
- SGroup European Universities' Network (SGroup)
It is also included into international educational and scientific program such as Tacis-Tempus and World Bank. Cooperation agreements have been signed and reviewed between YSMU and various well-known medical universities in the CIS, Europe, Central Asia and the US, including:
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Boston University School of Medicine, USA
- Cairo University School of Medicine, Egypt
- Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, USA
- David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, USA
- Ernst von Bergmann Klinikum, Potsdam, Germany
- Georgia Neurosurgical Institute, Mercer University School of Medicine, USA
- Jönköping County Council, Sweden
- L’Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
- Open Medical Institute, American-Austrian Foundation
- Russian National Research Medical University named after N.I. Pirogov
- Stavropol State Medical Academy, Russia
- Tbilisi State Medical University, Georgia
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
- Universitätsklinikum Düsseldorf, Heinrich Heine Universität Düsseldorf
- University of Luebeck, Luebeck/Research Center Borstel, Germany
- University of Münster, Germany
- Université René Descartes Paris
A significant number of students have completed short-term and long-term internships abroad, which considerably promote the education of leaders in this period of globalization and internationalization. 
YSMU University Library is one of the most extensive libraries in Armenia and comprises over 65,000 textbooks and professional literature. There is a rich collection of research and academic materials of the medical library. The textbooks and professional literature are replenished by works authored by the university faculty and manuals, which are obtained from different countries. Specific research journals and magazines are always up-to-date. There is also an online library comprising study materials, tests, and questionnaire, which are available to both students and interested people. 
More than 7000 future doctors currently study in the University. 24% of these students are international students from 26 countries all over the world. These countries include the United States, Russia, Germany, India, Israel, Canada, Iran, Iraq, Georgia, Great Britain, Greece, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Venezuela, Syria, Singapore, Australia, Poland, Sweden, China, France, Jordan, Cyprus, Lebanon and Sri Lanka.
Tuition fees are different for different degrees. University students have a unique opportunity to receive different nominal scholarships. Some of the famous nominal scholarships are named after Mkhitar Herati, Ruben Sevak, Albert Mayrapetyan. There are also scholarships given by the Armenian Youth Foundation, Turpanjian Family, Aegean Family, and the Armenian Community for Armenian Students Foundation.
Faculty and Staff
The university has more than 1100 professors. They are responsible for lecturing classes, advising both graduate and undergraduate students, as well as conducting original research. 171 of the lecturers are doctors of sciences, 504 - science candidates. Seven academicians of the RA NAS perform scientific and pedagogical work at the University. This powerful scientific potential has a serious role in the development of medicine and related sciences in Armenia.
Honorary Doctors of Yerevan State Medical University
YSMU’s «University Honorary Doctor Award» was conferred to very remarkable and distinguished people.
- Tom Catena- Doctor in Sudan’s Nuba mountains, the winner of Aurora prize
- Princess of Jordan Dina Mired- The director general of King Hussein Cancer Foundation (KHCF), the chairwoman of the Union of International Cancer Control, the Princess of Jordan
- Hagop Kantarjian- Professor Hagop Kantarjian from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Agop Bedikian- Professor Professor Agop Bedikian from the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 
- Aaron Ciechanover- An Israeli biologist and winner of the Nobel prize in Chemistry 
- Klaus-Peter Hellriegel- Chairman of the Berlin Cancer Society, Secretary and Board Member of the German Society of Hematology and Oncology
- Nirmal K.Ganguly- President, Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education
- Leo Bokeria- Cardiologist, heart surgeon, professor, academician, Head of Bakulev Scientific Center of Cardiovascular Surgery, Russia
- Philippe Jeanty- Scientist in the field of prenatal diagnosis, the founder of prenatal echocardiography 
- Edgar M. Housepian- a renowned neurosurgeon, professor 
- Levon Nazarian- Professor and Vice Chairman of the Department of Radiology and the Residency Program Director at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia
- Leonid Roshal- Chairman of International Charity Fund to Help Children in Disasters and Wars, expert for the World Health Organization
During its long and rich history, a big number of YSMU graduates have succeeded both in academic and other fields, such as politics, art. Our graduates are dozens of ministers and deputy ministers, hundreds of hospitals directors in Armenia and abroad, well-known scientists and doctors. 5 MPs, including the President of the National Assembly of Armenia, Yerevan State Medical University graduates. Many ASSR Health ministers were graduates of YSMU: Simeon Lazarev, Babken Astvatsatryan (1927), Stepan Chshmarityan (1930), Armenak Khrimlyan (1930), Zakhari Narimanov (1947), Emil Gabrielyan (1954), Artashes Aznauryan (1964). The Ministry of Healthcare of RA has had ten ministers who graduated YSMU: Mihran Nazaretyan (1962- 1967); Ara Babloyan (1965-1971); Gagik Stamboltsyan (1975-1980), Hayk Nikogosyan (1973-1978); Ararat Mkrtchyan(1973-1978); Norayr Davidyan (1966-1972); Harutyun Kushkyan (1974-1980); Derenik Dumanyan ( 1972-1978); Armen Muradyan (1989-1995), Levon Altunyan(1979-1985). Former RA Minister of Education and Science Armen Ashotyan is also YSMU alumni. Current RA Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Hrachya Rostomyan has been a student of YSMU from 1998 to 2006.
- Ara Babloyan- President of the National Assembly of Armenia
- Levon H. Badalyan - Pediatric neurologist, the founder of the first pediatric neurology department in USSR 
- Bagrat Alekyan- Cardiac surgeon, President of Russian Scientific Society of Endovascular Surgeons and Interventional Radiologists 
- Evrik Afrikyan- Bacteriologist, past vice-president of All-Union Society of microbiology (USSR)
- Aramayis Grigoryan- Surgeon, professor of medicine, First Moscow State Medical University, past scientific secretary of All-Union Society of surgeons, USSR 
- Gurgen Pashinyan- Chairman of department of forensic medicine, Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry, leader and executor of forensic dental examination to identify the remains of the family of the Russian Tsar Nicholas II and his entourage 
- Bagrat Sargsyan- Chairman of department of forensic medicine, professor of medicine, Altai State Medical University, Russia 
- Lev Piruzian- Soviet medical biophysicist.Corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of the USSR 
- Samuel Badalian- The Director of the Gynecology and Urogynecology Center of Syracuse, NY 
- Emil Gabrielian- Pharmacologist and Surgeon, Minister of Health of Armenian SSR 
- Ivan Gevorgian- The chairman of the Department of Surgery of Yerevan State Medical Institute from 1952-1979
- Vigen Bakhshinyan- Head of Cochlear Implant Center, National Research Center for Audiology and Hearing Rehabilitation, Moscow, Russia
- Alla Grigoryan- Medical Director of Liver Transplant Program, University of Kentucky, Lexington, USA Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Kristina Simonyan- Director of Laryngology Research, Harvard Medical School
- Karine Sargsyan- Head of the Biobank Graz, Medical University Graz (Scientific Director of BioPersMed)
- Rouzan G. Karabakhtsian- Associate Professor of Pathology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine and attending Pathologist at Montefiore Medical Center
- Bella Qocharyan- the former First Lady of Armenia
- Rafael Minasbekyan- The head of the business direction "Cinema and television. Production, rent, distribution » in Gazprom-Media Holding JSC
- Ruben Jaghinyan- Chairman of the Council of Public TV and Radio Company of Armenia
- Vahan Artsruni- Armenian rock musician, singer, composer and artist
- Garik Martirosyan- comedian, TV host, actor
- Bharath Reddy- Indian Film actor, cardiologist
- Administrator. "Երևանի պետական բժշկական համալսարանի համառոտ պատմությունը". Retrieved 21 August 2016.
- "Yerevan State Medical University | Ranking & Review". www.4icu.org. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "«Հերացի» թիվ 1 հիվանդանոցային համալիր". ysmu.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "ՄՈՒՐԱՑԱՆ հիվանդանոցային համալիր". www.med-practic.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Հոգաբարձուների խորհուրդ". ysmu.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "admissions". ysmu.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Yerevan State Medical University | AMHE". studyinarmenia.org. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- YSMU development plan 2017-2022
- "YEREVAN STATE MEDICAL UNIVERSITY (YSMU)". www.tempus.org.ua. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Միջազգային կապեր". ysmu.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Երևանի Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարանի թվային գրադարան". ysmubooks.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "International Students map".
- "Կրթաթոշակներ". ysmu.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Dr. Tom Catena – 2017 Aurora Prize Laureate". AURORA PRIZE. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Princess of Jordan Dina Mired awarded title of YSMU honorary doctor | NEWS.am Medicine - All about health and medicine". med.news.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- LLC, Helix Consulting. "India - Bilateral Relations - Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia". www.mfa.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Hagop M. Kantarjian". MD Anderson Cancer Center. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Agop Bedikian | City of Smile". www.cityofsmile.org. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Нобелевские лауреаты: Армении нужно идти в ногу со временем". newsarmenia.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- www.koch-metschnikow-forum.de. "Koch-Metschnikow-Forum :: Section: Oncology". www.koch-metschnikow-forum.de (in German). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "WHO | Prof Nirmal K.Ganguly". www.who.int. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Leo Bokeria Antonovich, photo, biography". persona.rin.ru. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Համաշխարհային ճանաչում ունեցող գիտնականը՝ ԵՊԲՀ պատվավոր դոկտոր". www.nt.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Edgar Housepian - A Doctor's Doctor to be Honored by Fund for Armenian Relief". archive.constantcontact.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Levon Nazarian". AGBU | Armenian non-profit organization. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Leonid Roshal: "The foundation of our team was laid in Armenia"". AURORA PRIZE. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia | Official Web Site | parliament.am". www.parliament.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "БАДАЛЯН Левон Оганесович". persons-info.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Bagrat Alekyan". International Conference for Innovations in Cardiovascular Systems. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Prominent bacteriologist, academician Evrik Afrikyan dies aged 91". armenpress.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Григорян Арамаис Вагаршакович — Энциклопедия фонда «Хайазг»". draft.hayazg.info (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Официальный сайт ФГБУ "РЦСМЭ" Минздрава России". www.rc-sme.ru. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Саркисян Баграт Амаякович". www.forens-med.ru (in Russian). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- Armenia, National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of. "National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia". www.sci.am. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Samuel Badalian, M.D., Ph.D., D.Med.Sc. – Gynecology | Urogynecology Center". gyn-urogyn.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Kalinga 1999-L1 | United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization". www.unesco.org. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Գևորգյան Իվան Քրիստափորի — Hayazg". am.hayazg.info (in Armenian). Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Vigen Bakhshinyan" (PDF).
- "Alla Grigoryan".
- "Kristina Simonyan | Mount Sinai - New York". Mount Sinai Health System. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Medizinische Universität Graz - Research portal". forschung.medunigraz.at. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Rouzan G. Karabakhtsian, MD,PhD". www.montefiore.org. Retrieved 2017-12-11.
- "Rafael Minasbekyan". www.gazprom-media.com. Retrieved 2017-11-29.