Yes We Can Can
|"Yes We Can Can"|
|Single by the Pointer Sisters|
|from the album The Pointer Sisters|
Wally Heider Recording/ Studio A [?]
|Genre||Funk, soul, disco|
3:54 (7" version)
The song, written by Lee Dorsey, is a socially conscious one, featuring intricate background vocals by three of the sisters while Anita Pointer handled lead vocal duties.
"Yes We Can Can" was originally recorded as "Yes We Can" by Lee Dorsey on his album Yes We Can, released by Polydor in 1970, and co-produced with Allen Toussaint. It was producer David Rubinson suggestion that the Pointer Sisters record the song - Rubinson: "I loved almost everything Allen Toussaint ever wrote [but Lee Dorsey actually wrote the song]" - and "Yes We Can Can" was one of the songs the Pointer Sisters recorded as a demo while they were seeking a label deal.
When the group began recording their debut album in the autumn of 1972 "Yes We Can Can" was one of the first tracks recorded, its basic track being cut at Pacific Recording Studio in San Francisco: the recording locale for The Pointer Sisters sessions was eventually moved to Studio A of Wally Heider Recording Studio in San Francisco and Rubinson is unclear as to whether or not recording for "Yes We Can Can" was also done there.
- Lead vocals by Anita Pointer
- Background vocals by Anita Pointer, Ruth Pointer, Bonnie Pointer and June Pointer
- Written by Lee Dorsey
- Produced by David Rubinson
- Instrumentation - DRUMS: Gaylord Birch, GUITAR: Willie Fulton, BASS: Dexter C. Plates
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||11|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||12|
|Australian Singles Chart||86|
|Canadian Singles Chart||58|
|French Singles Chart||59|
|Italian Singles Chart||30|
|Dutch Singles Chart (the Netherlands)||25|
- Mel & Tim, on the album Mel & Tim in 1973.
- José Feliciano, on the album Compartments in 1973.
- Rap group Treacherous Three as a single in 1982.
- Alyson Williams as a single (her first solo single after leaving Affair) in 1986.
- Sly and Robbie on the album Rhythm Killers in 1987.
- Taral Hicks, Chantay Savage, LaShanda Reese and The Pointer Sisters recorded the song for the soundtrack The Associate in 1996
- Allen Toussaint, on the album Our New Orleans: A Benefit Album for the Gulf Coast in 2005.
- Harry Connick, Jr. on the album Oh, My NOLA in 2007.
- Taylor Hicks on the album The Distance in 2009.
- Donnie McClurkin on the album Donnie McClurkin in 1996.
- Marc Broussard on the album S.O.S.: Save Our Soul in 2007.
- Young-Holt Unlimited on the album Oh Girl in 1972.
- Joss Stone presented the song for free download on her official website in January 2013.
- Kokomo_(band) have featured the song in their set lists from the 70s to the present time. It is included on the To Be Cool recording of early rehearsals and the Live From the Venue '81 album
- Young@Heart on the album Mostly Live in 2008. It was also featured in their documentary film Young@Heart_(film).
- Amy Helm opening for The Tedeschi-Trucks band 2018 tour.
- "Classic Tracks: The Pointer Sisters' "Yes We Can Can"". Mixonline.com. 3 January 2006. Retrieved July 21, 2016.
- Billboard.com - Discography - Lee Dorsey - Yes We Can
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 465.